Looking for advice on protective foot wear.

egolds01

Region
USA
First time rider, and I just took my first step and bought the Juice Bike Scorpion.

Now I'm looking at protective equipment. Flat shoes I'd guess, but not cleets. I'm 6' and size 12 shoes so any advice from avid riders?

I'm also looking at helmets but I'll probably buy that local since I have a large head (7 5/8th cap size).

If you aren't going clipless, any firm sole shoe will work. If your pedals don't have spikes, even soft shoes work well. For winter riding I use my 6" work boots and tuck the laces inside the shoe so they don't get in the pedals and the shoes keep my feet warm. In summer I wear sneakers, but the spikes on my pedals chew them up a little. You could look at mtb shoes if you really want cycling shoes. Usually more casual and a firm sole to not loosen energy while pedaling. But they are pricey and are an item I don't like ordering on-line. Fit of the shoe is important and sizes vary all over the place.

If I was riding an electric moped, the search for foot protection would start here

I'd prioritise ankle cover and impact protection because I've had my foot destroyed by a motorbike. Good luck with the search , and well done for thinking protection

I'd also suggest if you are riding 'moped' style with more throttle than pedal, that something with ankle protection is certainly useful. If you like to pedal and do most of the work, you won't want a stiff ankle, so a Bike shoe is more ideal. As mentioned previously, a stiff sole helps with energy transfer, and especially if you like to stand on the pedals for hills or off-road. For long commutes and extended trail days I use a pair of Mavic MTB shoes because they are compatible with clipless systems if I desire, but come with a blank plate that can be left in the sole instead for general use. Nice and stiff, repel splashes, and dry quickly when they do get dunked.

I will throw on some hiking boots for the odd west coast 'winter' ride. In summer I have no problem with regular runners if I'm just tooling around town.

I recently took a fall on my ebike and broke my ankle in a couple of places,recovering from break and surgery, then on to PT.. I know this is a older thread. I am interested in shoes with ankle protection that are also light. And easy to walk in.Or considering a ankle brace to protect the bad ankle when I start back riding. I am a senior,most of my riding is warmer weather. I usually wear sneakers. 95% of my riding is on the road.

+1 on ankle protection. I wear lightweight ankle high hiking boots.

Also, when helmet shopping, consider a MIPS rated product for extra protection. They're a bit pricey but so is your head.

Hopimg for something lighter than hiking boots if i can find it due to foot problems. I wear a mips helmet. But want something more substantial. I rode a motorcycle for years. But a motorcycle helmets a bit much on the bike.

Back