Long term impact of Coronavirus on ebike market....

Ken M

I'm wondering if this virus will awaken more US citizens to the importance of being more healthy such that we see more people considering using ebikes as a supplement to getting in a car for every trip. I still don't feel there really is a great transportation-grade ebike on the market yet (some very good ones like models from Wattwagon, Juiced, Vintage, and Frey but nothing really designed from the ground up to be for optimized ebike mobility).

Short term I think every industry is going to struggle if this virus continues to spread but we tend to be at our best when things are the most challenging....

Americans don't learn lessons well. How many people still smoke now that it's proven that even if it doesn't exactly kill you, it will definitely shorten your life. Why does the childhood obesity epidemic continue when it's proven that it will cause severe health risks and future diabities? Why do we have to tell people to wash their hands when traditional flu kills tens of thousands each year? This thing will never get people to ride eBikes. Most Americans don't have a clue what an eBike is.

Sadly I kind of agree with you. I look around and I think our country has for the most part lost it's will to complete - 90% of Americans are just plain lazy. I'm not picking on a specific political party or saying all executive managers are bad people but overall the leadership in this country is pathetic. The American Code of Arms has become two fingers pointing at anyone but ourselves.

I'm just hoping that this event has a long term positive effect, but you are right people still smoke even though we all know it's stupid and unhealthy.

Since a portion of the population things this is a political hoax I don't think it's going to change much.

Just looking at vaping, how stupid did you have to be to thing that was not going to harm you?

During these stressful times, many of us have extra time on our hands. Ebiking is a great way to safely beat cabin fever, go outdoors and get some exercise. Whether this has any effect on ebike sales is doubtful though since a simple walk in the park would accomplish the same goal.

I have a list of bike trails I ride regularly that are remote and infrequently used. Should I choose to do so, it is possible for me to ride without interacting with a single person. The only contact I have with a potentially contaminated surface is the handle and touch screen of a gas pump. Of course a federal, state or local lockdown would eliminate this activity.

After getting my ebike it's the first time I've been so actively looking to bike all the time since 45 years ago. If a real short or long term breakdown or restriction of fuel supply happens then ebikes will be sold out quickly.

Oh it will have a huge effect, but only because of the hysteria that has decimated marketplaces throughout the world. In the US bikes for the most part are seen as toys, not as an essential part of life. When people see their jobs go away and their 401's and investments being decimated buying an expensive plaything will not be high on their list of purchases. By the way, just to put some numbers behind this, in the US the average number of deaths per day from all causes is about 7,500. The average number of deaths caused by guns is about 109. So far in about 4 weeks the total number of coronavirus deaths has been a bit over 100. Even if that increased by 1000 times it wouldn't be much of a blip on yearly death figures. And the deaths are not randomly spread out; almost all of the deaths are elderly people many of them who also had underlying health issues that made them highly susceptible to dying from any illness such as flu; pneumonia; or coronavirus.

After getting my ebike it's the first time I've been so actively looking to bike all the time since 45 years ago. If a real short or long term breakdown or restriction of fuel supply happens then ebikes will be sold out quickly.

This will likely be true until the supply chain is disrupted. Many ebikes and their components are made in China which may not be able to keep up with demand.

Supply chain issues have hit my cottage industry already!! I make an archery device that requires good ceramic bearings. I haven't been able to get any for about a month! I've had to turn away a lot of orders already! Thankfully it is mad money and I'm not dependent on it.

Since a portion of the population things this is a political hoax I don't think it's going to change much.

Just looking at vaping, how stupid did you have to be to thing that was not going to harm you?
You do realize it was touted as safer by the folks making the stuff? Advertising is very effective these days.

You do realize it was touted as safer by the folks making the stuff? Advertising is very effective these days.
OF course and maybe it is a sign of the times, but anytime a company like JUL touted their product as being safer than anything you have to have your head pretty far up your arse to buy it!

Maybe it was being a child of 60-70's were the general rule was if the establishment is trying real hard to convince you of something it's probably bullshit!

In fact, maybe that is the silver lining in all this. When things like this happen and it pushes the established rules maybe people will look at them and go HMMMM.
For an easy example, now working from home is pretty much a norm.

So why wasn't it before?
Now it's important that everybody that needs health care gets it. Why wasn't it before...

Sorry I'm usually not one to get on a soapbox on public forum.

No Biggie RR. I think the 'science' of advertising has advanced a lot since the 70's. We humans are an easy target, I fear....

One thing I am doing with my extra time is having delusions (fantasies?) of silver linings, of lessons we will learn, of positive changes we will make. I will add working from home to the list!

Be safe.

I'm wondering if this virus will awaken more US citizens to the importance of being more healthy such that we see more people considering using ebikes as a supplement to getting in a car for every trip.
Ebike is not the only or the best or the cheapest way to get healthier. Besides, getting healthier takes time and right now there is no time. Now people need distancing and cars serve the purpose well. Getting bike in a car - sure, why not. As long as there is a trail with no other people in sight. Gyms are closing, need to stay fit somehow.

I don't think Americans or other nations will learn from this epidemic anything other that their jobs, investments and social infrastructures are not secure. (and even this lesson will be forgotten in a few years after the epidemic ends). Mistrust in scientific and official info is common and is usually based on ignorance, same as with climate change. Average person is not very smart or educated. People won't understand until it hits them, and even then they will only see the immediate consequences without linking it to underlying causes and past mistakes.

Every week 75% of new cases are travelers, and 10% are those in close contact with travelers upon arrival, this is 85% total. We would've had 6 times less cases had they listened. There have been warnings to avoid crowds and non-essential trips since mid-February, and there are still tourists coming home from abroad today, complaining that flights have been cancelled and borders closed. This shows how little people understand.

Last edited:

So why wasn't it before?
I would add why do we need massive brick and mortar universities with their multi billion dollar endowments parents and taxpayers pay for? School from home (or some strip commercial office suite after this crisis is over). Business as usual may change forever after this.

This may be a very good time to buy an ebike, because supply may dry up soon and stock may not be replenished for a long time.
I took my wife ebike shopping last week, but she felt none of the new bikes were that much better than the ebike she already rides, so she decided not to buy a new bike.

When things like this happen and it pushes the established rules maybe people will look at them and go HMMMM.

So why wasn't it before?
Now it's important that everybody that needs health care gets it. Why wasn't it before...
Now that the universities have switched to online, students will begin to wonder why they have to go with whichever professor their university employs, instead of the best professor known. Why pay for the expensive buildings? Labs and big equipment still needed for advanced research, but most students have nothing to do with that.
So education might even improve and be equalized right to the rural areas.

My son graduate college two years ago, we routinely had the rhetorical discussion of "How is it in this country that you pay 4X the interest rate on your student loans than I pay on my mortgage!"

OK I gotta stop! But hopefully these conversations will start when this is all over! But I fear it will be back to the Kardashina's(sp?) as soon as possible!

Back