Lights Save Lives

Good to see all the interest in lights. The other night on the Coast Highway, we passed a male teen or maybe 20-something riding the wrong way in the bike lane in all dark clothing — no helmet, no lights, no reflectors. The bike lane's just a painted line along that 55 mph stretch — no painted buffer, no barrier, cars parked on the right.

Hard to understand what, if anything, goes on in some peoples' heads.
I see that every time I go somewhere at night in my car. It's so stupid and just puts everyone at such high risk, especially during winter weather when visibility is so bad anyway. Lighting a bike is so cheap. Maybe some riders don't want to be seen as they run around town making nightime "deliverys". Who knows? More enforcement would be nice.

I see a lot of Niterider lights out there. They would be my next choice after Cygolite. Very bright front and rear.
The light that died from rain through the switch was a niterider. Filled up with water. A sunbike 150 lumen flashing front light did okay in the rain for 2 years but the battery prong finally corroded off.
I have had a catseye front light for about a year. Lives in a peanut butter jar in the bag, so no real test of rain resistance. Last night it was under a bunch of christmas presents in the bag so I rode home in the dusk with no front light. The trouble with the catseye, it will not charge most of the time. Only if nearly dead. So if I take a 3.7 hour commute to my summer camp the battery runs out about the time I get out in the country where the houses are 500 yards from the road and 1/4 mile apart.
Those $190 lights people are touting must be really nice. I have had 2 lights stolen from my bike while shopping or doing volunteer work. The Garmin Varia, while useless as a warning device, is a really good taillight that the mount is too weird for the thieves to figure out. Going on 4 year old now. If I believed I was in danger every time the Varia warned of a vehicle on the Interstate through a metal fence, or traveling at 90 degrees to my path behind me, or mowing or tending a crop out in a field, I would stay home and plug up my arteries with cholesterol.
For backup rear I use a brightz red or pink flashing light, screwed under a plastic flange to keep the rain off. On switch lasts about 3 years. Costs $12 when you can get them; the Meijer store always has the blue ones. I lost a brightz mounted with the included tie-wraps that was cut off with knife.
Bought my first cygolight rear light last month, a 50. Is going to be a nuisance to mount it; strap to seatpost location will be invisible if I wear a jacket or vest.
As far as the invisible riders, 90% of bike riders in my neighborhood wear black, dark grey or camoflage. No lights. Ride against the traffic mostly, and never slow down at stop signs or traffic signals. This includes the guys who have converted a beater frame with a stinko gasoline motor. I wear a yellow logo helmet and a yellow-green ANSI-2 construction vest with reflective stripes. If anybody is looking I stop at traffic control. Not, not.

Last edited:
The light that died from rain through the switch was a niterider. Filled up with water. A sunbike 150 lumen flashing front light did okay in the rain for 2 years but the battery prong finally corroded off.
I have had a catseye front light for about a year. Lives in a peanut butter jar in the bag, so no real test of rain resistance. Last night it was under a bunch of christmas presents in the bag so I rode home in the dusk with no front light. The trouble with the catseye, it will not charge most of the time. Only if nearly dead. So if I take a 3.7 hour commute to my summer camp the battery runs out about the time I get out in the country where the houses are 500 yards from the road and 1/4 mile apart.
Those $190 lights people are touting must be really nice. I have had 2 lights stolen from my bike while shopping or doing volunteer work. The Garmin Varia, while useless as a warning device, is a really good taillight that the mount is too weird for the thieves to figure out. Going on 4 year old now. If I believed I was in danger every time the Varia warned of a vehicle on the Interstate through a metal fence, or traveling at 90 degrees to my path behind me, or mowing or tending a crop out in a field, I would stay home and plug up my arteries with cholesterol.
For backup rear I use a brightz red or pink flashing light, screwed under a plastic flange to keep the rain off. On switch lasts about 3 years. Costs $12 when you can get them; the Meijer store always has the blue ones. I lost a brightz mounted with the included tie-wraps that was cut off with knife.
Bought my first cygolight rear light last month, a 50. Is going to be a nuisance to mount it; strap to seatpost location will be invisible if I wear a jacket or vest.
As far as the invisible riders, 90% of bike riders in my neighborhood wear black, dark grey or camoflage. No lights. Ride against the traffic mostly, and never slow down at stop signs or traffic signals. This includes the guys who have converted a beater frame with a stinko gasoline motor. I wear a yellow logo helmet and a yellow-green ANSI-2 construction vest with reflective stripes. If anybody is looking I stop at traffic control. Not, not.
Yea, the Nite rider light is crap imo. I tried one and found the button switch breaks real easy. I tossed it and went back to all Cygolites. I buy the soft mounts to use anywhere.

Cars and natural selection will sort them out.
The problem with that solution, as satisfying as it may sound, is that others can easily get tangled up in the consequences of the careless rider's stupidity.

If I hit and killed or seriously injured the young Einstein I mentioned in #219 above, I'd be scarred for life — even if it was entirely his fault. Can't unsee a mangled body that you helped create.

This guy became visible only a few seconds ahead on a busy 4-lane highway. If I'd had to swerve left to miss him, his stupidity might well have resulted in a high-speed multi-car accident with 2 or more lives at stake besides his.

If the circumstances were unclear to the police on the scene, I might get charged for vehicular manslaughter. And even if crystal clear, might still get sued by his family.

I'm not happy with ebikers using strobe lights coming from opposite direction.
Over the past year I've developed a very bad astigmatism, and flashing lights at night are an absolute nightmare. Like you I've had to just stop and wait for them to be gone before continuing. Even rear blinking lights are hard to see anything near anymore.

Over the past year I've developed a very bad astigmatism, and flashing lights at night are an absolute nightmare. Like you I've had to just stop and wait for them to be gone before continuing. Even rear blinking lights are hard to see anything near anymore.
Anything flashing or blinking at night is totally blinding. Should be outlawed except for emergency vehicles.

Flashing bright light coming towards me on 10 ft wide pathway is a hazard for me. I have difficulty seeing what's 15 ft in front of my way. There could be a bum in dark clothing pushing a shopping cart. Behind that flash.
My first ever crash on ebike. Don't be a jack as and crash onto a shopping cart. You'll end up with crack ribs like I had.

Flashing bright light coming towards me on 10 ft wide pathway is a hazard for me. I have difficulty seeing what's 15 ft in front of my way. There could be a bum in dark clothing pushing a shopping cart. Behind that flash.
My first ever crash on ebike. Don't be a jack as and crash onto a shopping cart. You'll end up with crack ribs like I had.
I agree. Flash or strobe is blinding. Especially on a pitch dark road. My girlfriend wears a turn signal vest that has large turn arrows. It is easily seen in the dark. The control is bluetooth and sits on the handlebar. Not blinding at all. She rides behind me when we do night rides. She lets cars cars know which way where headed. Nice safety tool.

Not only that, it may cause cars to pull to the side of the road thinking an emergency vehicle is behind them. For great side lights, to be seen at intersections, where most people on bikes get hit, I suggest the dual sided amber Brightside light. Great light. Easily seen yellow flash day or night. $26.00 on Amazon.

Robspace1, I have been looking at buying one of these.

Is that still the one you would recommend today or are there others that I should consider, too?

Robspace1, I have been looking at buying one of these.

Is that still the one you would recommend today or are there others that I should consider, too?

Yes, they are good side lights. Steady on or flash. Not blinding and easy for cars to see at a 4 way stop.

The front light should not be underrated. I prefer a solid light beam most of the time, but if you are in well-lit urban territory I think the strobe is much safer.

The front light should not be underrated. I prefer a solid light beam most of the time, but if you are in well-lit urban territory I think the strobe is much safer.

I agree. I bought a Fenix BC30 V2.0 LED bike light a two years ago.

I like that I can easily swap out the 18650 batteries.

I have two e-bikes. My Gazelle has an integrated headlight and taillight, so the Fenix light is often on my Rambo. I will strobe in the daytime and often run a steady burn headlamp on my helmet.

I am an advocate of hi-visibility clothing, too. Often times there will be a debate over blaze orange vs. yellow. My solution to that is to use both. I have some hi-viz yellow long-sleeve T-shirts that I wear with a hi-viz orange vest over that. It also has some reflective stripes sewn into it.

I am an advocate of hi-visibility clothing, too. Often times there will be a debate over blaze orange vs. yellow. My solution to that is to use both. I have some hi-viz yellow long-sleeve T-shirts that I wear with a hi-viz orange vest over that. It also has some reflective stripes sewn into it.

Interesting link! Have an orange vest for warmer days and a yellow/lime long-sleeved jacket for cooler or windier days. Sounds like orange would be a better choice for my next daytime jacket. Lots of greenery here year-round.

Since EBR members love a good debate, how about a debate within this debate?

Q: Quick, without thinking about it, does standard hi-vis "yellow" strike you as yellow or lime?

Pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, but my brain-eye system nearly always sees it as lime. For some reason, it just can't get past the green content.

I do strobe in the day, solid beam at night.
I got rid of lights with strobe. Way too annoying to oncoming bike and auto traffic. Too blinding, especially at night. Most good bike lights don't have them or replaceable batteries anymore. I use three Cygolites up front. During daytime, just one is on, at slow flash. At night all three are on steady beam. Two Cygolites on the rear, both on flash mode. 1 amber side light. No reflective clothes needed. Unless a driver is completly comatose I can be seen a half mile away.

I got rid of lights with strobe. Way too annoying to oncoming bike and auto traffic. Too blinding, especially at night. Most good bike lights don't have them or replaceable batteries anymore. I use three Cygolites up front. During daytime, just one is on, at slow flash. At night all three are on steady beam. Two Cygolites on the rear, both on flash mode. 1 amber side light. No reflective clothes needed. Unless a driver is completly comatose I can be seen a half mile away.
Aren't flashing headlamps illegal in Europe for this reason?

Lighting in different parts of the bike is key imo. Daytime running front, varia rear, helmet light, etc. Having a light on a helmet makes it clear from further away that it's a person on a bicycle.

I agree. I bought a Fenix BC30 V2.0 LED bike light a two years ago.

I like that I can easily swap out the 18650 batteries.

I have two e-bikes. My Gazelle has an integrated headlight and taillight, so the Fenix light is often on my Rambo. I will strobe in the daytime and often run a steady burn headlamp on my helmet.

Does that BC30 maintain the 1500 lumens for a couple hours as the ratings suggest, or does it step down after a few minutes?

Back