Lights Save Lives

Aren't flashing headlamps illegal in Europe for this reason?

Lighting in different parts of the bike is key imo. Daytime running front, varia rear, helmet light, etc. Having a light on a helmet makes it clear from further away that it's a person on a bicycle.
Not sure on Europe laws but strobes should be outlawed. No need for that blinding intensity. Flash is much easier on the eyes and safer, but not to use at night. I used to have a helmet light but saw no need unless riding at night, which I only do a few times a year during summer. The Cygolites are plenty.

Does that BC30 maintain the 1500 lumens for a couple hours as the ratings suggest, or does it step down after a few minutes?

There is definitely a step down.

Fenix BC30 V2.PNG

I joined Candle Power Flashlight Forums in 2002. As a result I have learned a bit more about flashlights and batteries. I eventually bought my first 18650 flashlight. Battery technology in the 18650 cells aren't particularly well known by the general public, but I really like having the ability to use those cells in power banks, bike lights, head lamps, etc. It is also easy to bring along additional cells, if a battery swap out is needed out during a ride.

There are now some 18650 batteries that are claiming 4000 mAh capacity, too!

I joined Candle Power Flashlight Forums in 2002. As a result I have learned a bit more about flashlights and batteries. I eventually bought my first 18650 flashlight. Battery technology in the 18650 cells aren't particularly well known by the general public, but I really like having the ability to use those cells in power banks, bike lights, head lamps, etc. It is also easy to bring along additional cells, if a battery swap out is needed out during a ride.

There are now some 18650 batteries that are claiming 4000 mAh capacity, too!
Yeah, remember when a 200 lumen light was a big deal? I still have a few of those. An old Fenix TK20, the one with the rubberized grip and WW emitter, resides on my nightstand. There's still a Romisen in my wife's vehicle glove compartment. CPF brought my latent flashaholism to the fore. Later on, BLF. I must have 60 or 70 lights, at least.

I've been running a Wurkkos WK20 (1000 lumen model) clamped to my ebike handlebar for a headlight. Might upgrade sometime, when there's some spare jingle.

Back