Lights Save Lives

Walking the dog tonight at 9 pm, came across 6 kids milling around in the dark street on their bikes with zero lights on. Ages 5 to 10 roughly. They were with a young woman, guessing a nanny, whose bike had only a single spoke light on.

So I stopped. I like to ride at night, too, I said. But if you guys have bike lights, you really ought to turn them on. None thought they had bike lights. So I politely explained the risk they were taking in our very dark neighborhood full of old people with poor night vision. Asked them to promise me they'd tell their parents to get them bike lights.

To my surprise, they seemed to take it seriously and promised they would ask. Then the nanny said, "Oh yes, we must get lights!" And off they went down the street, all invisible, even the nanny.

The dog and I resumed our walk. On the way home, found the same 6 kids and nanny, right back in the street on bikes, same spot. Only this time, every bike had a light on! Two of the kids even thanked me!! So did the nanny.

Don't even know where to start.
Good move!! Most parents really do want to help keep their kids safe. And what kid wouldn't bug a parent to buy them a new gizmo? :D I'm sure all the kids enjoyed using the lights.

Good move!! Most parents really do want to help keep their kids safe. And what kid wouldn't bug a parent to buy them a new gizmo? :D I'm sure all the kids enjoyed using the lights.
Agree, but there was clearly a giant lapse in adult responsibility at some level in this episode — nanny, parents, or some combo thereof.

The bikes must've had lights all along, as the 2 encounters were only 15-20 minutes apart. Why weren't they on in the first place? Why didn't the kids know they had lights?

Our neighborhood is VERY dark at night, and the kids were basically invisible without lights. Doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that if you let your kids ride at night, you should be 100% sure that their lights are on. AND that they're on constant lookout for our biggest threat on night rides — oblivious pedestrians wandering the streets in dark clothing.

Hmm-first time I've ever heard that one. You say bright safety vests etc. are not seen by cars? If someone is behind the wheel and can't see a bright orange or green floresent vest up ahead, they have no business driving. I can see those things a block away! As long as there is a small amount of light out. If not, all the road crews in every state should toss out their safety clothes as nobody can see them. Now, they are designed for daytime use, not night. For nightime, lights are the only real option.
Right on.

Agree, but there was clearly a giant lapse in adult responsibility at some level in this episode — nanny, parents, or some combo thereof.

The bikes must've had lights all along, as the 2 encounters were only 15-20 minutes apart. Why weren't they on in the first place? Why didn't the kids know they had lights?

Our neighborhood is VERY dark at night, and the kids were basically invisible without lights. Doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that if you let your kids ride at night, you should be 100% sure that their lights are on. AND that they're on constant lookout for our biggest threat on night rides — oblivious pedestrians wandering the streets in dark clothing.
Oh! I assumed the encounters were days apart. 20 minutes? Maybe they went home and got fresh batteries put in. Yeah, responsible parents should do better.

I have a Fenix BC30 V2.0 bike light. My taillight is a Cygolite Hypershot 350. I also have a Nitecore HC90 on my helmet.

Lately I have been thinking adding something to give me a bit of side protection. I have a Streamlight Stinger LED HL and a Streamlight Stinger Traffic Safety Wand (glow-in-the-dark). I will try this and see what I think about it. The modes available are High/Medium/Low/Strobe.

Attachments

• Streamlight Stinger Traffic Safety Wand.jpg
    Streamlight Stinger Traffic Safety Wand.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I spent that a couple of weeks last month cycling in Japan and both my wife and I noticed that rarely does anyone over there utilize rear lights. A definite safety issue IMO particularly with narrow shoulders and little infrastructure to speak of. However, most always have front lights on due to the number of tunnels one has to traverse through. We brought all of our lights along with us on the trip.

GH012835 - frame at 1m3s.jpg

Now that I have a rear luggage rack on my fat tire e-bike, I want to relocate my Cygolite Hypershot 350 from the set post to the luggage rack. I did find a Rack Mount for Hotshot and Hypershot Taillight, but it looks like it is made for a rack that has holes that are vertical. The luggage rack I have has holes that are horizontal. Should I just buy a pair of angle brackets or is there something else available for that in the marketplace?

Now that I have a rear luggage rack on my fat tire e-bike, I want to relocate my Cygolite Hypershot 350 from the set post to the luggage rack. I did find a Rack Mount for Hotshot and Hypershot Taillight, but it looks like it is made for a rack that has holes that are vertical. The luggage rack I have has holes that are horizontal. Should I just buy a pair of angle brackets or is there something else available for that in the marketplace?

This one from Old Man Mountain might do the trick.

I wish I could find good wheel lights. after monkey lights went out of businesses and the last lights failed I have not found any other lights that turn on and off with dark and movement and rechargeable.

I use Cygolites front and back and Brightside Amber side light for nite riding. Great light. Amber on both sides flash for those busy intersections when cars can't see you from the side of the bike. $27.00 on Amazon.

I use a Garmin Varia radar/light on the rear (my best ever bike accessory purchase) and a Ravemen FR 160 front light that mounts to a Garmin mount and has a mount on top to mount my garmin computer to. Soon after I bought it I read a study that questioned the safety of front lights on bikes. Their data showed MORE collisions between cars and bikes that had blinking front lights vs no front light or steady lights. They called it the “moth” effect - drivers subconsciously drift toward a blinking light. I still use mine and wasn’t sure if the study only applied to night use or anytime use. I don’t ride at night.

...Soon after I bought it I read a study that questioned the safety of front lights on bikes. Their data showed MORE collisions between cars and bikes that had blinking front lights vs no front light or steady lights...

I have read something similar in the past. I seem to recall emergency vehicles, like police, fire or EMS, have similar concerns.

Maybe I should go steady burn on headlight, taillight and traffic wand.

I use a Garmin Varia radar/light on the rear (my best ever bike accessory purchase) and a Ravemen FR 160 front light that mounts to a Garmin mount and has a mount on top to mount my garmin computer to. Soon after I bought it I read a study that questioned the safety of front lights on bikes. Their data showed MORE collisions between cars and bikes that had blinking front lights vs no front light or steady lights. They called it the “moth” effect - drivers subconsciously drift toward a blinking light. I still use mine and wasn’t sure if the study only applied to night use or anytime use. I don’t ride at night.
It is very hard for a driver to estimate how far away a bright blinking light is as they are rapidly approaching it. So I'd suspect that a blinking light wouldn't dramatically improve your safety at night. This would apply to both front and rear blinking lights.

I only use a forward-facing blinking light in foggy or rainy conditions during daylight hours.

Most people are considerate here a few times I forget to turn on my rear lights and different motorists or cage riders will remind me to turn my rear lights on when stop at stop light.
My cheap lights of choice.
Easily removed for off road rides and USB charge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205_170521_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_170521_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20231205_170553_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_170553_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 78
Solid lights front and rear at night only. My side amber lights are on slow flash day and night. Flashing lights, not frigging strobes, work great in daytime. Eye catching but not distracting for drivers. I'm seeing way too many blacked out bike riders at night. So stupid. Lights are cheap and make such a huge difference at night. It's a no brainer.

For anyone interested the Specialized Stix Switch (on sale) are low cost and excellent lights for being seen.

Also enjoying their Flash 500 for a low cost headlight.

Aside for that the Lumos helmets are well worth it, and Varia, depending on the bike I'm riding.

These lights are all well-designed for the application. I've had some no-name Amazon lights that just serve to blind people. Brightness isn't everything.

My cheap forward light is blinding if looking directly at it.
Mine is pointed downward to project light at 20'. I'm not happy with ebikers using strobe lights coming from opposite direction. I have stopped sometimes for them to pass through.

Good to see all the interest in lights. The other night on the Coast Highway, we passed a male teen or maybe 20-something riding the wrong way in the bike lane in all dark clothing — no helmet, no lights, no reflectors, black bike. The bike lane's just a painted line along that 55 mph stretch — no painted buffer, no barrier, cars parked on the right.

Hard to understand what, if anything, goes on in some peoples' heads.

Last edited:
Good to see all the interest in lights. The other night on the Coast Highway, we passed a male teen or maybe 20-something riding the wrong way in the bike lane in all dark clothing — no helmet, no lights, no reflectors. The bike lane's just a painted line along that 55 mph stretch — no painted buffer, no barrier, cars parked on the right.

Hard to understand what, if anything, goes on in some peoples' heads.
Covid brought out a ton of them sometimes whole families it was a full time job dodging them.

Back