LaFree Ebike

It uploads to your phone for storage. It looks like it is stored under the Giant app itself. Each ride is a pretty comprehensive data collection, a map plus graphs of your speed, cadence, power used, heart rate, elevation gain, and battery usage.

You might want to see how much storage you have still available on your phone. If you're out of room, that could cause a data upload failure.
I see, so the bike generates some of the ride data, ”uploads” it to the phone which stores it with the maps and gps data that it provides, then saves it. So while the phone can see the data the bike is providing, it’s not until it’s saved to the phone that it actually moves the data to the phone?

I used the app for the first month or so after getting my bike, and would get that message every once in a while also. There is some internet communication when the data is being saved, and in my case it seems like the "failed to upload" always occurred when my phone was connected to my home wifi. Whenever I was about to stop my ride I turned off wifi on my phone so that the data would go through cellular, and the rides would save without a problem.

The bike needs an internet connection to download additional information like GPS and mapping. Not sure what is uploading, maybe the history of your rides? If you delete the app and reinstall it and your rides appear in the app after logging back into the app, then Giant is storing your ride history in the cloud.

The app does communicate a lot of data with the bike real time, so if you mounted your iphone/android on your handlebar you could see speed, cadence, current estimated range and other data.

I stopped using the app because I got tired of having to go through the Start/Stop/Save routine. I have a fitbit that has gps, and just use it's features. Super easy to start a ride, just press a couple buttons on my Fitbit and off I go. Fitbit syncs my rides seamlessly with Strava.com, and I get pretty detailed info on where I went, the speeds I was going on the route, and heartrate. The only info that really isn't being captured by the Fitbit that the app captures is cadence.

So now, I only use the app every once in a while to check more precise battery levels, battery health, and to adjust the assist levels.

I used the app for the first month or so after getting my bike, and would get that message every once in a while also. There is some internet communication when the data is being saved, and in my case it seems like the "failed to upload" always occurred when my phone was connected to my home wifi. Whenever I was about to stop my ride I turned off wifi on my phone so that the data would go through cellular, and the rides would save without a problem.

The bike needs an internet connection to download additional information like GPS and mapping. Not sure what is uploading, maybe the history of your rides? If you delete the app and reinstall it and your rides appear in the app after logging back into the app, then Giant is storing your ride history in the cloud.

The app does communicate a lot of data with the bike real time, so if you mounted your iphone/android on your handlebar you could see speed, cadence, current estimated range and other data.

I stopped using the app because I got tired of having to go through the Start/Stop/Save routine. I have a fitbit that has gps, and just use it's features. Super easy to start a ride, just press a couple buttons on my Fitbit and off I go. Fitbit syncs my rides seamlessly with Strava.com, and I get pretty detailed info on where I went, the speeds I was going on the route, and heartrate. The only info that really isn't being captured by the Fitbit that the app captures is cadence.

So now, I only use the app every once in a while to check more precise battery levels, battery health, and to adjust the assist levels.

Yup............ That's kinda what I'm concluding, the Giant Ride App is best for a Detailed Battery Check. Otherwise Strava seems very easy to use.

I haven't used the app yet, other than to connect it and see what it looks like. But I'm not sure if I really care to see cadence AFTER a ride. Is that what the app does? Show the different cadence at various points on the ride? That might be nice to have but not a very valuable feature for me.

Like you, I use Strava, but I use an Apple Watch to start it's WorkOut app (outdoor open cycle). That gives me all the data I really need, including heart rate, average and maximum speed, map of my route, heart rate recovery, etc. and using a 3-rd party app called HealthFit, that data is automatically shared to Strava. So I get the best of both worlds... data in the Apple Activity app AND data in Strava which I can share with my friends. I'm real happy with how easily all that works together.

Yup............ That's kinda what I'm concluding, the Giant Ride App is best for a Detailed Battery Check. Otherwise Strava seems very easy to use.

By "Detailed Battery Check" do you mean something more than percentage remaining? I haven't actually used the app yet but with my RideControl EVO I see battery percentage remaining and not just some bars.

By "Detailed Battery Check" do you mean something more than percentage remaining? I haven't actually used the app yet but with my RideControl EVO I see battery percentage remaining and not just some bars.

An actual Battery % is somewhat more Detailed then 5 Bars.
Nothing more implied.

I think we are talking about the same thing here.

On the LaFree bikes, it's RideControl One which has no LCD/LED display. Just a controller with lights that indicate level of assist and battery status.

On the LaFree bikes, it's RideControl One which has no LCD/LED display. Just a controller with lights that indicate level of assist and battery status.

As referenced thru this whole thread, we are talking about the Phone APP for use With the RideControl One.

I haven't used the app yet, other than to connect it and see what it looks like. But I'm not sure if I really care to see cadence AFTER a ride. Is that what the app does? Show the different cadence at various points on the ride? That might be nice to have but not a very valuable feature for me.

Like you, I use Strava, but I use an Apple Watch to start it's WorkOut app (outdoor open cycle). That gives me all the data I really need, including heart rate, average and maximum speed, map of my route, heart rate recovery, etc. and using a 3-rd party app called HealthFit, that data is automatically shared to Strava. So I get the best of both worlds... data in the Apple Activity app AND data in Strava which I can share with my friends. I'm real happy with how easily all that works together.

I was referring to the app showing cadence in real time while you are riding. In theory sounds great, but using the app realtime was impractical for me as I (a) had to mount the phone on the handlebar, and (b) disable the phone's screen shutoff so the screen doesn't shut off while you are riding and (c) because you have to have the phone screen on bright in daytime, it drains the phone battery. Using it was like a shiny new toy at first, but I got tired of it real quick and decided I didn't really need to see the live data. Real time cadence while I'm riding is the only data I miss, but if it was that important to me I would have bought a Wahoo cadence sensor.

As far as what else you can see in the App, one of the menu items will pull up a screen that shows the Number of Cycles and Battery Health. Not really sure what Battery Health really indicates, I was originally thinking that it was the max capacity compared to original max capacity, but am not so sure now. My bike is close to a year old and I'm still showing 100%. If it is measuring capacity I would expect it showing at least 1 or 2 percent less than what it was new, just from normal degradation.

In our case, we got the +2 on closeout for $1599 brand new. The +1 is still $2399, so it would be a difference of $800. We MAY still do it if we can't get the derailleur to work better.
Strongly suggest that you try it out for fit before you buy it.

Has anyone here been able to save their "Rides" on the Ride Control App ?
I keep getting a "Failure to Upload" message.

Therefore about all I can use the app for is:
- Battery Life
- Mode %'s
But I can't see previous Rides........... 🚲 :(

Craig

Problem Solved 😊 !

Like all things Electronic or Computerized......................
I Uninstalled the App, and Reinstalled it.
It worked just as it should after that.

Ride On 🚲🚲 !

Does anyone know if there's any extra cable for the controller hidden in the frame? I'd love to add a riser to get the bars higher, but can't unless there is more cable available.

My Lafree E+2 does not have the auto option. Some of the Lafree E+2 do and some do not. I actually would not have known about that option but the manual mentions it and it also mentions some do not have it. If you don't have the six light indicator and only have five your Lafree does not have the option. I have no idea why some do and some don't. Hope you love your Lafree they are awesome bikes.
We have two 2019 Lafrees, both have auto mode.
Lack of auto mode *may* be fixed by a firmware update.

In our case both bikes have auto, initially entered by pressing the down button until the bike is on the lowest setting, then twice more, after which a led between the up and down buttons light.

After a recent firmware update, the method is now to press and hold either the down or up button for several seconds. Again the middle led lights.

I have the LaFree +1.

The Auto Mode is Really Good ! Maybe even better then switching thru Assist levels Manually.

To engage it:

-Once powered up
-Press Down on the Lower Assist Level Button until you are at ZERO assist.
-Then, One more press brings on the Auto Mode.
-Signified by a Light in the Middle.

View attachment 36429

Let us know if that worked for you...................:cool:

Craig

My Lafree has just had a firmware update. The method of entry is now to press and hold the down (or up) button for several seconds.
My Lafree E+2 does not have the auto option. Some of the Lafree E+2 do and some do not. I actually would not have known about that option but the manual mentions it and it also mentions some do not have it. If you don't have the six light indicator and only have five your Lafree does not have the option. I have no idea why some do and some don't. Hope you love your Lafree they are awesome bikes.
Try getting a firmware update from a dealer

The 'auto mode' may well only be for 6-sensor equipped bikes. I'll check later on mine - it is a 4-sensor, with the 2020 edition coming with the new 6-sensor setup.
It may also be they added the new features earlier on the LaFree, for the '19 model. Or it may be on the 'life' motor version and not on the 'sport'.

Ah...found it:

The SyncDrive Life motor also features a really useful feature called ‘auto-mode’. By selecting auto-mode (which is a simple as flicking through the different assistance levels on the RideControl) the bike will adjust the power assistance level automatically depending on the rider cadence and the terrain. This can be especially useful when riding on undulating terrain, as the electrical assistance will be adjusted accordingly meaning the rider is comfortably able to pedal and ride without the need to regularly change assistance levels or gears.

Back