LaFree Ebike

Thanks. I think I have it dialed in. I’ve been working on bikes for a long time (50+ years) and this was tough, but I think I have it. We’d have to drive a ways to get it back to the dealer, who I specifically asked to please check and set up the shifting after the test ride. I think the torque on an electric bike means more frequent adjustments as it breaks in.

This is part of the reason that Anyone considering the purchase of this Bike, might want to seriously evaluate the Upgrades you get for $400 { retail ; ) }

- Carbon Belt (no chain or derailleur)
- Nexus Hub Gears
- Head Light
- Tail Light

Craig

This is part of the reason that Anyone considering the purchase of this Bike, might want to seriously evaluate the Upgrades you get for $400 { retail ; ) }

- Carbon Belt (no chain or derailleur)
- Nexus Hub Gears
- Head Light
- Tail Light

Craig

In our case, we got the +2 on closeout for $1599 brand new. The +1 is still $2399, so it would be a difference of $800. We MAY still do it if we can't get the derailleur to work better.

Hmmm, I can't imagine it wouldn't.................. But if it doesn't, might there be a Version Update to the Ride Control One ???

It is So worth it if, you can get it.

Craig
Well I checked the app the other day for updates to the bike firmware, and nothing since last time.
No go for me so far.

Does putting the bike on "auto" make it more efficient battery wise?
I don't think it does. It seems to kick into heavy duty assist right away, though I haven't tried it enough to know for sure whether it dials way back when you don't need it as much.

If what Giant says (below) is true,
then one would think that Auto Mode might do a better job at saving battery.
Under that assumption, it is why I'm using it........ not to mention, a lot less button pushing.
Mind you, you still need to be smart about your choice of Gears 🤓.

This is what Giant says about Auto Mode:

"The motor automatically detects the amount of support the rider needs.
The combination of the Pedal-Plus 6-sensor technology and the instantaneous response of the SyncDrive Life motor creates a smooth and powerful riding experience.

It maximizes energy efficiency for both the rider and the battery system, optimizing power depending on the slope and saving power on flats and descents."

Sounds good to me..........

How about we all try it, and use it for a while, then share our feedback here, as to whether it helped or not.

Craig

If what Giant says (below) is true,
then one would think that Auto Mode might do a better job at saving battery.
Under that assumption, it is why I'm using it........ not to mention, a lot less button pushing.
Mind you, you still need to be smart about your choice of Gears 🤓.

This is what Giant says about Auto Mode:

"The motor automatically detects the amount of support the rider needs.
The combination of the Pedal-Plus 6-sensor technology and the instantaneous response of the SyncDrive Life motor creates a smooth and powerful riding experience.

It maximizes energy efficiency for both the rider and the battery system, optimizing power depending on the slope and saving power on flats and descents."

Sounds good to me..........

How about we all try it, and use it for a while, then share our feedback here, as to whether it helped or not.

Craig

I hope they provide a way to establish thresholds. I don't like too much assist when starting out. It'd be great if you could establish a min/max range that it operates between. Specialized does this on my Como, so I have a 35% min and 55% max and that seems very comfy for me. I have two other presets with greater assist (55/75 and 80/100) if I need them. It's great that they let you tweak power levels.

Since it's my wife's bike, it's up to her preferences and she found AUTO to be too aggressive - particularly for shifting out of first gear from a stop. If we could just dial it back I think she'd like it. I'll see if she wants to sign into the forum and make her own reports. So far, she LOVES the bike - and I am mighty happy to have her riding with me!

I hope they provide a way to establish thresholds. I don't like too much assist when starting out. It'd be great if you could establish a min/max range that it operates between. Specialized does this on my Como, so I have a 35% min and 55% max and that seems very comfy for me. I have two other presets with greater assist (55/75 and 80/100) if I need them. It's great that they let you tweak power levels.

Since it's my wife's bike, it's up to her preferences and she found AUTO to be too aggressive - particularly for shifting out of first gear from a stop. If we could just dial it back I think she'd like it. I'll see if she wants to sign into the forum and make her own reports. So far, she LOVES the bike - and I am mighty happy to have her riding with me!

Though I haven't tried it, you can Change the %(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)of Assist on each Mode, by setting it up thru the Free App.
Whether that will translate into the Auto Mode, I'm not sure, but I would think it would.

1565716133742.png

Though I haven't tried it, you can Change the %(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)of Assist on each Mode, by setting it up thru the Free App.
Whether that will translate into the Auto Mode, I'm not sure, but I would think it would.

View attachment 36504

We will experiment with it this weekend and see if those settings inform the AUTO setting.

I still have to phone the nearest dealer and figure out if I can try one out. It is a two hour drive, if there are no fires.

I've been riding my LaFree E+ 1 on my local gravel roads, and am super pleased with how the bike handles with the fat tires. Much more stable than my older steel hybrid, doesn't slide on the gravel, and takes the bumps and potholes in stride.

Love the carbon belt drive. If you can get that option, do!! It is silent, stays clean, and works beautifully with the internally geared hub.

Have tried out the auto speed a few times, and decided I just wasn't a fan.:( It has a lag time of about two rotations (it seems) before engaging, and I'm never sure what percentage of power I'm going to get. I'd rather dial in my own power selection, and move up and down the levels as I want. I get a much quicker response because the controller doesn't have to think about what I might want before it gives something to me...unsually too much or too little.

Has anyone here been able to save their "Rides" on the Ride Control App ?
I keep getting a "Failure to Upload" message.

Therefore about all I can use the app for is:
- Battery Life
- Mode %'s
But I can't see previous Rides........... 🚲 :(

Craig

- Battery Life
- Mode %'s

Craig
Using the iOS version, no problem saving rides. Latest IOS12 on iPhone 6plus.

- Battery Life
- Mode %'s

Craig
Haven't had any problems with mine. My cell is Android (version 9)

If you are constantly getting an error, I might suggest you "reboot" - ie: delete the app from your cell phone, then download it again. If the new downloaded software still doesn't work, your cell may have a security lock on it to prevent uploads unless they are OK'd by you to be legit. Finally, you might just want to go back to your bike shop and see if the ebike tech can help you figure out what is going wrong.

- Battery Life
- Mode %'s

Craig
Mine works well on Android 8.0.1 as well.
Definitely try @Readytoride suggestion.

“Failure to upload”. Perhaps the app doesn’t store the rides locally? Did you have to create an account for your profile? Is there a place to see your rides online?

I was just wondering about the “upload” failing when saving. What Is being uploaded to where?

Last edited:
It uploads to your phone for storage. It looks like it is stored under the Giant app itself. Each ride is a pretty comprehensive data collection, a map plus graphs of your speed, cadence, power used, heart rate, elevation gain, and battery usage.

You might want to see how much storage you have still available on your phone. If you're out of room, that could cause a data upload failure.

Last edited:
Back