LaFree Ebike

We have both, and frankly the throttle is fine, but really, it does the same thing as pedaling. If you have a physical condition the precludes pedaling the bike then it's likely a necessity. For the majority, while some may find it convenient, it's surely not a requirement for an ebike.

The Lafree is a nice little bike, but it's a 26-r, smallish wheels. As long as you're okay with that it's golden. 👍
I also did not care for the battery pack on the rear rack, much preferring a more integrated pack in the front downtube. I also prefer a derealeur shifter. It's surely a nice bike for the money though.

Hve you ridden anythig with a throttle? I was sold on the first ride. :D

Absolutely !
I think their great......... I just wish (like you) they were a part of the Giant setup.
Cort is a big fan of the Throttle too (especially "On Demand").

Again, for Me it's a Safety Issue (to get out of a potentially dangerous situation).
Otherwise I like pedaling.

Hve you ridden anythig with a throttle? I was sold on the first ride. :D
No, I haven't - wasn't interested in one when I began looking, and still not. I'm a fairly slow recreational and rural rider, so just don't see the need. If I were commuting in a city, maybe, but I'm not 😉.

We have both, and frankly the throttle is fine, but really, it does the same thing as pedaling. If you have a physical condition the precludes pedaling the bike then it's likely a necessity. For the majority, while some may find it convenient, it's surely not a requirement for an ebike.

The Lafree is a nice little bike, but it's a 26-r, smallish wheels. As long as you're okay with that it's golden. 👍
I also did not care for the battery pack on the rear rack, much preferring a more integrated pack in the front downtube. I also prefer a derealeur shifter. It's surely a nice bike for the money though.
I like the battery on the rear rack.

...A Throttle for us would mostly be a Safety convenience when Starting from a Stop in traffic....
I have one Class 2 (throttle only, Bafang 250w front hub), so this is technically a one rat study, and maybe it's just my particular hub, but... I've found that I can't engage the hub from a complete standstill without it struggling and stuttering. It is designed to start fluidly operating when the bike is physically rolling forward, not from a dead halt. It doesn't matter if the front wheel is barely rotating for the motor to engage fluidly, but that wheel HAS to be in some stage of motion.

So generally I have my pedals set at 1/4 rotation at the halt, thus allowing the weight on my foot pressing down to start the bike moving forward fractionally so that when my thumb presses the throttle the motor engages smoothly 1 micro-second later. Can't get away with just pressing the throttle without some sort of pedal input.

Again, maybe it's the low level wattage, or the Bafang itself, but the motor actually being able to start the bike rolling from a dead standstill is NOT comfortable.

However, that said, the throttle motor is a ton of fun to use. 😁 Mine is rated at 20mph assist for a 180lb rider weight, but because I'm a heck of a lot lighter weight, on the flat the hub can quickly get me up to 23 mph.

I know you are right about this, Craig. I want it all but just not finding it too readily available. I can wait but I'm just in a hurry to get something now that I've been bitten by the bug! Love the Yamaha motor on this and that puts it right up at the top. Just want that throttle too!
You might want to look into adding a 250w front hub motor if you want a throttle on your Giant. That way you could have exactly what you want - a top quality bike with a top quality mid-drive pedal assist...AND...an on-demand throttle.

You'd have to find someone to thread the motor into your wheel, and also have a set of panniers so that you can tuck the hub' s small battery pack somewhere.

Just a thought.

You might want to look into adding a 250w front hub motor if you want a throttle on your Giant. That way you could have exactly what you want - a top quality bike with a top quality mid-drive pedal assist...AND...an on-demand throttle.

You'd have to find someone to thread the motor into your wheel, and also have a set of panniers so that you can tuck the hub' s small battery pack somewhere.

Just a thought.
Interesting idea for sure.

Surely this has been asked/answered, but I haven’t found it, so: how is the LaFree +1 on steep (paved) hills? I’m just now learning about ebikes (and this is a GREAT source), live at 5400’ elevation, have moderate COPD (anyone else?), haven’t been young for years. I’m hoping an ebike’ll get me back on two wheels, and the LaFree has really caught my eye. Evidently it’ll be while before I can test ride one, so you guys are providing my vicarious experience, for which I humbly thank you.

Surely this has been asked/answered, but I haven’t found it, so: how is the LaFree +1 on steep (paved) hills? I’m just now learning about ebikes (and this is a GREAT source), live at 5400’ elevation, have moderate COPD (anyone else?), haven’t been young for years. I’m hoping an ebike’ll get me back on two wheels, and the LaFree has really caught my eye. Evidently it’ll be while before I can test ride one, so you guys are providing my vicarious experience, for which I humbly thank you.
Depends upon your definition of "steep". You also need to add how long the slope is as well. A 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile? More than a mile? 25 feet?

I've ridden my LaFree up some killer short hills (2/10 mile - both gravel and paved) that demanded my gearing be in 4 or 3, and my assist at the highest (5). The torque is very good as long as you spin moderately, not like a lycra clad manic in granny gear. The bike will take you up any slope. "Moderate spin" are the keywords here. The torque works best when your pedal stroke is at a normal cadence.

That said, I've had the back tire slip a bit climbing gravel road hills because the torque bites and grabs the road really well. Never had that happen on a paved road, however. The bike climbs like a goat on paved roads - surefooted and powerful.

I have a class 2 (250w front hub drive) that can't maintain power going up a hill unless I kick in maximum power myself. It bogs down and becomes a burden rather than a help.

I have the E+2, but imagine the +1 is about the same. No problem at all on steep hills with paved road so far. Initially, when I was manually adjusting the assist level, I ended up struggling a bit, but since I've switched to leaving it in auto mode, it's a breeze. Haven't ridden in much gravel yet, so can't speak to that aspect.

My Wife & I (both in our mid 60's) have LaFree E+1. We live where there are plenty of Moderate Hills. At our age, and fitness level, those hills are a real burn out on a Conventional bike !
The kind of thing that makes you NOT want to ride again. 🥵

That being said, it is the reason we got Ebikes........... The LaFree E+1 climes those same hills so Very Well I never break a sweat.
Mind you, you do have to peddle, and that in itself is a bit of Cardio (and that's a Good thing) but you will feel a little workout.

Yet you can dial in the amount of effort you wish to physically put in.
The Trick is getting familiar with your Gears & Assistance Levels.

Now, I have been a Big Fan of the AUTO MODE from day one, (some people were naysayers about Auto, but I have begun to see a big turn around on that topic). Auto Mode Is SMART, it senses the Slope of the Hill, Your Torque, & Cadence, making it so easy to clime. All you need to do is be smart about which Gear (1 thru 8) is appropriate for the Hill.

Ok, there's my
1586793743181.png
Worth.....................................

Craig :cool:

What a great bunch! Thanks, everybody. Readytoride, your second paragraph nailed it for me. The hill I’m most concerned about leads to my home, is plenty steep and about 40 yards worth of serious. Thanks to everyone’s answers I now have a much clearer idea of how the assist works in practice. Now I must be content to hover around the periphery until it’s safe to go out again.

Well, since patience isn’t prominent in my limited array of virtues, and trusting that observations offered on this and a related forum would prove reliable, I went all-in and ordered a LaFree +1 without so much as a test ride. Rest assured that no one who knows me could conceive of yours truly behaving in so rash a manner. But the aforementioned observations were dead-on! My friendly neighborhood Giant dealer delivered the bike this morning, and I immediately set about negotiating the hills that had me worried. Bottom line: no sweat. Literally. Oh, I did some heavy breathing (again COPD, 5400’ elevation), but I’ve no doubt that’ll get better as I get stronger and more familiar with how the bike responds to gear and input. So, everyone, thanks for helping me take the leap. It’s a handsome, beautifully built machine I’m delighted and proud to own.

Well, since patience isn’t prominent in my limited array of virtues, and trusting that observations offered on this and a related forum would prove reliable, I went all-in and ordered a LaFree +1 without so much as a test ride. Rest assured that no one who knows me could conceive of yours truly behaving in so rash a manner. But the aforementioned observations were dead-on! My friendly neighborhood Giant dealer delivered the bike this morning, and I immediately set about negotiating the hills that had me worried. Bottom line: no sweat. Literally. Oh, I did some heavy breathing (again COPD, 5400’ elevation), but I’ve no doubt that’ll get better as I get stronger and more familiar with how the bike responds to gear and input. So, everyone, thanks for helping me take the leap. It’s a handsome, beautifully built machine I’m delighted and proud to own.
So happy for you - enjoy your bike!

@Arizuno

Congratulations!! Loved the "Bottom line: no sweat".

This is just the prelude. You will find that a bit of sweat will become a regular thing, along with a huge smile, as you find yourself craving to ride your new ebike longer and longer - longer each time and longer each distance. It won't kill you and won't tire you, but you will find yourself becoming stronger and stronger as you find the joy in riding this bike.

Be sure to write some of your ride stories for the rest of us to enjoy!

Little did I know that my ebike (e-bike? Spell check doesn’t like “ebike”) curiosity would lead me to a group like this. However that might be, yes, I’ll share my experiences at the risk of boring people I don’t know out of their minds. I can say that with very few miles my new bike has already provided the sense of freedom and fun I was hoping for. As a kid growing up in a little village in Western NY I loved just tooling around on a bike that by current standards was a real clunker; this LaFree will enable that and so much more. I grin just thinking about it.

If you can find some gravel roads, go for it. The LaFree loves gravel roads!

You can find my LaFree ride stories on the 2020 rides thread under General Discussion.

My wife just got a LaFree E+2 today. I have a Specialized Como 2.0 so we now both have e_bikes. I am wondering if anyone can help me with a question. How do you set a LaFree E+2 for AUTO with the onboard RideControl ONE controller (no display). Thanks in advance.
which bike do you like better ..the LaFree or Como?

Put my deposit on a LaFree E+2 today with a bike shop that just deals with e-bikes. I kept hearing browneye whispering that the dealer was just as important as the bike. The bike will be ready in about a week as they didn't have my size and color that I wanted ready to go, but the have one at the store. Actually it is the last one in my size that they have.

Thanks to all of you for passing along information and advice with a special thank you to browneye.

Back