Known Issues & Problems with Riese & Müller Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

you need the one that goes from 30 to 150 lbs.
There are multiple units: One that goes from 100 to 300 lbs for automotive drive belts and then the one from 30 to 150 bs which can be used on bicycles.
Ravi, actually the 91107 works just fine. It is the exact same unit as the 30-160 just missing two marks below 50 that can be easily marked at the right intervals, measured and scored into the aluminum base. There is even room for a 20 lb. mark. It is also half the price so worth the modification.

Here is a photo of the 91107 on ebay for $16.59 shipping included :

s-l400.jpg

Here is the offering from Modern Bike for $47.99
large_43619.jpg

As with any bike (regular or eBike), you will need to carry out regular maintenance that is “normal wear and tear” therefore outside any warrant. If you are comfortable with maintenance (e.g.,brake pad replacement, belt tensioning, tire tube replacement) then as others have said it is worth investing in some basic tools. This should include a small torque wrench that includes torx and metric sizes, both torx and metric ‘Allen keys’, krikit tension tool for the belt - none of these tools are expensive. There is something great about being able to carry out your own service and getting back on your bike without having to go to your LBS.

you need the one that goes from 30 to 150 lbs.
There are multiple units: One that goes from 100 to 300 lbs for automotive drive belts and then the one from 30 to 150 bs which can be used on bicycles.
For peeps in the future reading this thread:

91107 - 50-150lb*
91132 - 100-300lb

You could argue that the reading might be unreliable a tad beyond the stated range but have you seen the phone app?

Last edited:
For peeps in the future reading this thread:

91107 - 50-150lb*
91132 - 100-300lb

You could argue that the reading might be unreliable a tad beyond the stated range but have you seen the phone app?
I had it on my phone for a while and I found it very unreliable with an untrustworthy variability. Very hard to get the same result three times in a row. According to comments here and elsewhere my experience with it was more common than unusual. The Krikit gives reliably reproducible values.
If you look at the two photos at the top of this page in post 241, you can see that they are the same except for two extra unlabeled 10lb. marks below the 50lb mark on one of them. They just extended the scale. The finger pressure increase get it to click is quite linear, not cumulative. I guess if you don't trust that you can pay the extra $30 to have the added two marks from the factory.

In my experience I have found the belt tension app reliable (reproducible), particularly with the latest version.

The trick seems to be to pluck the belt gently rather than vigourously.

Peter

I had it on my phone for a while and I found it very unreliable with an untrustworthy variability. Very hard to get the same result three times in a row. According to comments here and elsewhere my experience with it was more common than unusual. The Krikit gives reliably reproducible values.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for people looking to adjust their belt tension at home, make sure you mark the position of the lockrings on both the drive unit and Rohloff (if applicable) and check them every so often as even a slight over-tensioning of the belt can cause them to loosen which in turn can cause all manner of noises and damage.

Attached is a Gen2 drive unit with damaged splines due to the bike being ridden with a loose lockring (note the gaps.) We've seen similar damage on Rohloff carriers.

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 409
Just a heads up for people looking to adjust their belt tension at home, make sure you mark the position of the lockrings on both the drive unit and Rohloff (if applicable) and check them every so often as even a slight over-tensioning of the belt can cause them to loosen which in turn can cause all manner of noises and damage.

Attached is a Gen2 drive unit with damaged splines due to the bike being ridden with a loose lockring (note the gaps.) We've seen similar damage on Rohloff carriers.
Interesting. I just noticed that my (Gen2) chainring is wobbly after taking off the belt. Assuming loose lockring. The bike underwent a full inspection at the dealer not that long ago, so hoping for little/no damage as you’ve presented here.

I have the Delite mountain bikes with 2 batteries. Great piece of kit and brilliant balance and build quality. I have 2 issues one is that the rubber dampers which stop the batteries rattling on the frame often pull out when extracting the batteries and I can't find spares (I bought some small round rubber self adhesive kitchen door stoppers which I stick directly to the battery, works well but not ideal)

The second issue I have is a real mystery, when I have been riding four about half an hour I get a clicking noise which sounds similar to the noise you get with a new chain, however it is only heard under load. If I put the bike on a stand I hear nothing. The noise is fairly regular but not totally. It sounds not too dissimilar to a ratchet noise. There is no performance problem with the Bosch performance CX motor but the noise does seem to come from that area.

Any ideas as to what this might be would be useful.

I'm having a clicking issue with my 2019 Delite GX Extreme Rohloff HS. It appears only when pedaling above 15 mph and at first I though is was the bike frame or seatpost creaking. Upoin closer inspection it seems to be from the crank arm. The left crank arm was not tight and I snugged it up but not knowing the torque requirements, I didn't want to over tighten it. That didn't help and it is still there. I've had the bike for a week and it has been ridden for less than 200 miles. My LBS has not responded to phone calls so I'm wondering if your issue was resolved and how?

I'm having a clicking issue with my 2019 Delite GX Extreme Rohloff HS. It appears only when pedaling above 15 mph and at first I though is was the bike frame or seatpost creaking. Upon closer inspection it seems to be from the crank arm. The left crank arm was not tight and I snugged it up but not knowing the torque requirements, I didn't want to over tighten it. That didn't help and it is still there. I've had the bike for a week and it has been ridden for less than 200 miles. My LBS has not responded to phone calls so I'm wondering if your issue was resolved and how?
Who the heck is your LBS and why are they not responding to your calls? I presume you are calling during normal business hours when they are open.

Here is a handy link to a list of torque specs for just about all bike components:

Who the heck is your LBS and why are they not responding to your calls? I presume you are calling during normal business hours when they are open.

Here is a handy link to a list of torque specs for just about all bike components:

Thanks for the torque specs, I'm dealing with the owner and he has a lot going on so I'm giving him a pass for now. I haven't had time to deal with it myself and just wanted to see if the person who reported this had resolved the issue. Since it was a 2017 post, he has probably moved on ...

Update:

I took the Delight into the dealer today. They rode it, put it on the rack and went about tightening everything on the bike to spec. After a second ride no clicks ...

I confirmed this later with a short 10 mile run going hard in Sport/Turbo mode and no clicks. They also flipped the stem to give me another 1" or so of handlebar height. Suffice to say, I'm very happy with the bike and dealer. They are E Life Cycles in Folsom CA. :cool:

@ RMK I had the same (possibly) clicking noise. It has gradually faded, but it can drive me nuts at times. My question regards "they flipped the stem": Could you explain more what that means? I cannot visualize that in my mind. I have had my Superdelite for three weeks now, and that sounds like an adjustment that might be better for me. Thank you.

@ RMK I had the same (possibly) clicking noise. It has gradually faded, but it can drive me nuts at times. My question regards "they flipped the stem": Could you explain more what that means? I cannot visualize that in my mind. I have had my Superdelite for three weeks now, and that sounds like an adjustment that might be better for me. Thank you.

The clicking sound was resolved by tightening up virtually all the bikes screws and bolts. Hasn't returned over the past months (I'm at 1,500 miles now).

The standard stem is angled down a few degrees. Turning it upside down reverses that and increased the handlebar height a couple of inches. It was a small but welcome change to the riding position. Must say although expensive, I am very happy with all aspects of my Delite GX rohloff HS. :cool:

RMK, can you let me have a picture of what you mean please as I cannot think what you mean.
If you goal is to have your handlebars slightly higher then flipping the stem will do that. A photo of the way it is now won't tell you anything but here you go.
Flipped Stem.jpg
I don't really want to remove the stem again for before and after photos. It really doesn't look much different with the flipped stem. This was a quick fix and another alternative is to put different handlebars on the Delite. Didn't want/need the hassle and expense when simply turning the stem upside down gave me slightly elevated handlebars.

On a side note, when venturing out to take the photo I discovered a front flat. A tiny goat head was the cause. Tannus Armor inserts are on order. ...

There are three behaviours on the Kiox that should be easy to change but in spite of three software updates in the last year still exist. Two really bug me, the other is just odd.

First, when I choose a saved tour that starts and ends from my house it loads it onto the map screen with the correct distance and a second later it gives me the message "you have arrived" with a cheerful tick. Can it be so hard to add some logic that if I` have just turned the bike on, gone to the trouble of loading a route it could ignore the fact that the finish point is also the start point. I always have to cycle 50metres down the road and re-enter the route. Of course then it says "your start point is a long way away, would you rather have directions to the start?"
Next point is that the route I am on is in cyan and usually the only thing on the map is that route. Randomly other roads appear in exactly the same colour and there is no way of telling which route I should take. Perhaps a different colour, or an arrow.
Finally, at the end of a cycle if I just plug the bike in to charge it does not sync the activity. If I turn it off first it syncs on shutdown then I can plug it in. No big deal as it syncs the next time I turn the bike on, but I cannot understand why you would not use the same logic.

Anyway, I am a big Kiox fan, especially with the latest update giving time to destination, altitude gain etc. I just cannot believe no one at Riese & Müller has not been bugged enough by this to sort it.

2020 Superdelite GT Rohloff HS: Initial Impressions

First, omergawsh: That wait time. I ordered air freight, but shipping by air doesn’t work when all flights are COVID-cancelled. So an expected 5-week wait turned into five months. Communication about all that can only be described as exceedingly poor. In this regard — separate from the product and focusing only on my consumer purchasing experience — Riese & Müller suffers from extremely poor communications management.

Were this ebike anything less than the most expensive all-around ebike one can possibly buy, I might be more understanding. But shelling out the better part of $12,000 (incl. tax) for a bicycle means you are buying Bentley levels of service to go along with the actual vehicle. And, despite my local dealer being very nice, Bentley levels of service is not at all what I got.

My experience, I believe, is an artifact of R&M outsourcing all communications to the dealer, which leads to variable quality when R&M, itself, (by all reports) is somewhat less than forthcoming.

R&M is a good company run by good people, no doubt. I also am certain that, just like every other bicycle manufacturer worldwide, R&M has been hard-pressed to keep up with demand. So my experience may reflect our Chinese-plague-ridden times, more than anything. Could be.

Anyway, I’ve had the Superdelite now for three weeks, so the honeymoon is fading and day-to-day city use is the norm. It’s important to note that I have very limited experience with other ebikes — Lyft and Uber rentables; a disastrously-painful ride on a Vanmoof S2; a few tests of a coupla Specialized (Como, Levo). And I’m able to compare the Tern GSD which I used for a day as a loaner when my Superdelite was being adjusted.

So first, let me dash off my thoughts on those other bikes: Lyft & Uber bikes are comfortable ad hoc transportation, but they are not door-to-door; nor are they useful for doing any hauling of any sort. The no-suspension Vanmoof S2, based on a 1/2-mile ride on my city’s ridiculously bad pavement, rattled my iWatch right of my wrist — twice! — and left me limping for a week. Also, just as with the rentable bikes, the Vanmoof S2 could not make it up the 30% grades encountered every day around here. The Specialized Como was comfortable, but really is more of a beach cruiser than an SUV; and the Levo model, though superior in most ways, was a sporting bike, not an all-around vehicle replacement. The Tern GSD is a competent bike that clearly is much more nimble than the Superdelite; but, at 6’4”, I felt rather like I’d made off with a child’s bike, not a purpose-built hauler.

Also worth noting that there are plenty of Rad bikes and Super73s in my town. My impression is that I am glad they exist for those who buy them. But they are comparatively noisy and simply nowhere near as refined as the Superdelite. But then: few are.

Learning to ride the Superdelite took about a day to become reasonably competent. Not unlike learning to drive a manual stick shift. The e-shifting, the assist level, the dropper post: All need coordination.

Far more learning was required to develop my habit of getting on the bike: Taking off the cover and unlocking it from all the sturdy locks securing it in my garage. Turning on all the apps and configuring my smartphone to allow them to track me (if you do not turn the Bosch location awareness off after each use, it’ll drain your battery — the Germans need to #LearnToCode). Turning on my Lumos Matrix smart helmet. Cueing up the Lumos app with the turn signals displaying on my smartphone. Mounting the smartphone on to the QuadLock. Attaching the Kiox display, and hooking the USB to my phone to trickle charge it. Donning my safety vest and riding gloves. And then choosing what, if anything, I needed to add to the bike: Panniers? MIK-compliant basket? The Coho XC trailer? All of them?

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that choosing an ebike as your fundamental transportation means doing quite a few preparatory things differently. It is a completely different experience than hitting a button on your key fob, getting in, and driving away. Same is true at the destination: securing your bike in a city environment requires attention, time, and care — carefully taking with you every single thing that is not Hexlocked or secured, including the saddle bag and water bottles.

It is my hope that manufacturers find a solution to easily securing ebikes that will better approximate how easily we currently can leave our parked cars.

Now, on to the experience of the Superdelite. This bike? It is heavy. Kitted out, it approaches 80 pounds, and therefore feels more motorcycle-ish than bicycle. Add my 200-pound weight, and it is a tank. I initially was using the two highest levels of assist to get going, but that turned out to be incorrect. What is really needed is the right *gear* to get going. The Rohloff’s 14-gear range permits an easy start in almost every terrain where the assist can even be turned off, and you’ll proceed just fine.

I’ve taken to using Eco or turning off assist altogether when starting out in order to extend the range, just to see if it makes any difference. And the answer is: It makes a HUGE difference. Just as with cars, starting up from a dead stop consumes the most energy. With 1000 WH, I’m not really concerned about range. Just toying with the stats, which I track on a spreadsheet, for chuckles.

Anyway, if I grocery shop using the Burley Coho XC trailer towing ~50 pounds, I easily become 330+ pounds of mass hurtling down the road at 20-25 mph in a vehicle where my face is the ‘crumple zone.’ Judicious use of the horn (or the aftermarket Spurcycle bell) has been very useful as I navigate. (N.B. on the Burley Coho XC trailer: It *says* it has 75-pound capacity. I strongly recommend you limit it to 50 pounds or less, placing heaviest items toward the trailer’s wheel.)

The cockpit on the Superdelite is very crowded: Horned Ergon grips with a very good rear view mirror on the left. The dropper post lever. The electronic horn. The brake lever attachments. The assist controller. The QuadLock smartphone holder. The adjustable stem. The Kiox display. The Spurcycle bell. The electronic shifter. On the left-hand side, it’s all pretty tight. The industry can certainly do better on integrating all these things together so that they are not stacked like dominoes in a row. I mean: cars have those annoying blank buttons where you are always reminded of the option you did not buy. But R&M has done as best as can be expected given current technologies and formats. Certainly, the Superdelite cockpit is far tidier than the majority of ebikes with similar functionalities.

The power from the nominal 250W (~600W peak) Bosch motor, upgraded to the current 85 nm of torque, is more than adequate. The trick to using it correctly is to find the right cadence/torque pressure. As everyone will tell you, the more you give, the more you get. On the HS version, there is a sweet spot that is designed to keep your cadence at a good clip and maintain speed. And doing that correctly is all about being in the right gear.

I’ve booked along at 28+ mph in the highest gear in Tour; and I’ve ascended the steepest, 30%+ grade hills in first or second in Sport mode, both without much effort at all. The most profound impact has been not hills at all, but wind. Wind can cut my efficiency in half and easily prompt a tap to the next higher assist.

I am fortunate that my town is committed to Protected Bike Lanes. As a car driver, I thoroughly supported them because it discouraged meandering bicyclists from getting caught up in my wheels. As an urban bicyclist, they are hands-down and without question exactly what every city should do. Massive difference in confidence and security.

My Superdelite was equipped with the ‘winged victory‘ standard rear rack (but no front rack); as well as the Fox Float suspension upgrade and Rock Razor tires. The Fox suspension may sound like overkill, but it manages the small bumps of city riding far better than the Suntour (but at a price). I intend to take this bike to fire trails and scale some local mountains on off-road paths. Though I’ve yet to test this proposition, I think the suspension upgrade is worth it. It certainly has been for the poor city roads thus far.

I have an outsized fear of getting a flat on this thing, so I added Tannus Armour inserts as well as tire sealant in a belt-and-suspenders way. In addition to the Included Abus folding lock, I use the Abus SmartX smartphone-operated lock when arriving where I’m going. Those, and, as mentioned, I have Hexlocked every possible thing. And that which is not locked, I take with me. I added the Kiox interlock that disables the motor except for that head unit, too.

Some have reported that the Tannus Armour inserts create a different feel. As I put them in before I even rode the bike, I cannot say. But the ride seems perfectly fine, to me. The suspension is transparent and very good. It is very easy to take for granted — and then you hop on your old, fork-suspension hardtail and realize that bikes without full suspension are basically uncomfortable.

Along these lines: The Gates Carbon Belt Drive is the dog that does not bark, the child who always behaves, and then never gets attention. Frankly, I cannot imagine ever going back to a derailleur setup and all the maintenance and faffing about that requires.

I replaced the included Ergon seat with a slightly wider Ergon ST Touring Core Men’s Ultra Saddle. It is more comfortable. But is it more comfy because of the Ergon tech? Tbh, I think it’s the extra width.

The purchase price, btw, is not where the expenses end. The mentioned trailer. The secunity locks. Service agreements. Tire inserts. Safety gear. Foul weather clothing. Full insurance, including liability. Maintenance gear. It all adds up. In my case, the total bill has been over $16 large.

Nonetheless, I’ve remarked to friends that the Superdelite is as close as the ebike industry has come to making a Honda Accord: comfortable, reliable, and useful. An all-around bike that does just about everything — city roads, trails, hauling — in an above-average way that is very friendly as a car replacement.

The Riese & Müller Superdelite is not quite perfect. There is a yet-to-be-corrected paint flaw on the stem (ahem: This is a $12,000 bicycle, guys). The Rohloff gears tend to get hung up on 8th gear — once even refusing to shift out despite repeated attempts, though I was correctly removing pedal pressure. The front hydraulic brake line initially could get caught on the right-hand bottle boss during a hard right turn (when the Fabric bottle was not installed), threatening to rip the hydraulic line right off. The mirror, though very good and vibration-free, is not as well secured as you might expect, mostly because of the exact angle of the grip in relation to the fitting; it needs to be occasionally tightened. And then, of course, there was the exceedingly poor communication management during the purchasing and delivery process.

Is the Riese & Müller Superdelite a ‘Bentley’? Well, no: It is a bicycle. But ‘yes,’ because the relative expectations are that of buying a Bentley. And this is something that both R&M and the dealers need to more completely embrace and service. Because that is what R&M is holding themselves out to be.

In the end, though, the Superdelite is a competent and confidence-inspiring SUV. An SUV that I expect to be as reliable as a Honda Accord for years and years to come.View attachment 62162
That is a first class write-up. I have the same bike and what you have written is spot-on.

That is a first class write-up. I have the same bike and what you have written is spot-on.
I agree that the @M1Rate writeup was excellent although it might be misplaced in this thread. I have the 2019 version of the Super Delite and TBH, I only purchased it because it was a local dealer floor model in the correct size, that I was able to test ride. It was also significantly discounted and had the range I needed (50-80miles). The R&M is a very nice bike and @ 6 months, and 2,500 miles in, it has been the fun and reliable bike I hoped it would be. I ride 50 miles 3-4 times per week and the R&M has the versatility to handle the variable riding terrain which is nearby (paved and unpaved bike trails).

I guess the for me the main difference is I will never see any bike as a replacement for a car. I have electrified my vehicles and they do what they do very well. For me as a non-urban dweller entering my retirement years, the ebike is for exercising outdoors which is my preferred way to stay fit and healthy. I have purchased many ebikes over the last few years and have several in the garage for family/friends use. The ebike has become a healthy hobby for myself, my family and extended family and I am a huge proponent.

My advice, get off your ass, phone and computer and go ride!

2020 Superdelite GT Rohloff HS: Initial Impressions

First, omergawsh: That wait time. I ordered air freight, but shipping by air doesn’t work when all flights are COVID-cancelled. So an expected 5-week wait turned into five months. Communication about all that can only be described as exceedingly poor. In this regard — separate from the product and focusing only on my consumer purchasing experience — Riese & Müller suffers from extremely poor communications management.

Were this ebike anything less than the most expensive all-around ebike one can possibly buy, I might be more understanding. But shelling out the better part of $12,000 (incl. tax) for a bicycle means you are buying Bentley levels of service to go along with the actual vehicle. And, despite my local dealer being very nice, Bentley levels of service is not at all what I got.

My experience, I believe, is an artifact of R&M outsourcing all communications to the dealer, which leads to variable quality when R&M, itself, (by all reports) is somewhat less than forthcoming.

R&M is a good company run by good people, no doubt. I also am certain that, just like every other bicycle manufacturer worldwide, R&M has been hard-pressed to keep up with demand. So my experience may reflect our Chinese-plague-ridden times, more than anything. Could be.

Anyway, I’ve had the Superdelite now for three weeks, so the honeymoon is fading and day-to-day city use is the norm. It’s important to note that I have very limited experience with other ebikes — Lyft and Uber rentables; a disastrously-painful ride on a Vanmoof S2; a few tests of a coupla Specialized (Como, Levo). And I’m able to compare the Tern GSD which I used for a day as a loaner when my Superdelite was being adjusted.

So first, let me dash off my thoughts on those other bikes: Lyft & Uber bikes are comfortable ad hoc transportation, but they are not door-to-door; nor are they useful for doing any hauling of any sort. The no-suspension Vanmoof S2, based on a 1/2-mile ride on my city’s ridiculously bad pavement, rattled my iWatch right of my wrist — twice! — and left me limping for a week. Also, just as with the rentable bikes, the Vanmoof S2 could not make it up the 30% grades encountered every day around here. The Specialized Como was comfortable, but really is more of a beach cruiser than an SUV; and the Levo model, though superior in most ways, was a sporting bike, not an all-around vehicle replacement. The Tern GSD is a competent bike that clearly is much more nimble than the Superdelite; but, at 6’4”, I felt rather like I’d made off with a child’s bike, not a purpose-built hauler.

Also worth noting that there are plenty of Rad bikes and Super73s in my town. My impression is that I am glad they exist for those who buy them. But they are comparatively noisy and simply nowhere near as refined as the Superdelite. But then: few are.

Learning to ride the Superdelite took about a day to become reasonably competent. Not unlike learning to drive a manual stick shift. The e-shifting, the assist level, the dropper post: All need coordination.

Far more learning was required to develop my habit of getting on the bike: Taking off the cover and unlocking it from all the sturdy locks securing it in my garage. Turning on all the apps and configuring my smartphone to allow them to track me (if you do not turn the Bosch location awareness off after each use, it’ll drain your battery — the Germans need to #LearnToCode). Turning on my Lumos Matrix smart helmet. Cueing up the Lumos app with the turn signals displaying on my smartphone. Mounting the smartphone on to the QuadLock. Attaching the Kiox display, and hooking the USB to my phone to trickle charge it. Donning my safety vest and riding gloves. And then choosing what, if anything, I needed to add to the bike: Panniers? MIK-compliant basket? The Coho XC trailer? All of them?

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that choosing an ebike as your fundamental transportation means doing quite a few preparatory things differently. It is a completely different experience than hitting a button on your key fob, getting in, and driving away. Same is true at the destination: securing your bike in a city environment requires attention, time, and care — carefully taking with you every single thing that is not Hexlocked or secured, including the saddle bag and water bottles.

It is my hope that manufacturers find a solution to easily securing ebikes that will better approximate how easily we currently can leave our parked cars.

Now, on to the experience of the Superdelite. This bike? It is heavy. Kitted out, it approaches 80 pounds, and therefore feels more motorcycle-ish than bicycle. Add my 200-pound weight, and it is a tank. I initially was using the two highest levels of assist to get going, but that turned out to be incorrect. What is really needed is the right *gear* to get going. The Rohloff’s 14-gear range permits an easy start in almost every terrain where the assist can even be turned off, and you’ll proceed just fine.

I’ve taken to using Eco or turning off assist altogether when starting out in order to extend the range, just to see if it makes any difference. And the answer is: It makes a HUGE difference. Just as with cars, starting up from a dead stop consumes the most energy. With 1000 WH, I’m not really concerned about range. Just toying with the stats, which I track on a spreadsheet, for chuckles.

Anyway, if I grocery shop using the Burley Coho XC trailer towing ~50 pounds, I easily become 330+ pounds of mass hurtling down the road at 20-25 mph in a vehicle where my face is the ‘crumple zone.’ Judicious use of the horn (or the aftermarket Spurcycle bell) has been very useful as I navigate. (N.B. on the Burley Coho XC trailer: It *says* it has 75-pound capacity. I strongly recommend you limit it to 50 pounds or less, placing heaviest items toward the trailer’s wheel.)

The cockpit on the Superdelite is very crowded: Horned Ergon grips with a very good rear view mirror on the left. The dropper post lever. The electronic horn. The brake lever attachments. The assist controller. The QuadLock smartphone holder. The adjustable stem. The Kiox display. The Spurcycle bell. The electronic shifter. On the left-hand side, it’s all pretty tight. The industry can certainly do better on integrating all these things together so that they are not stacked like dominoes in a row. I mean: cars have those annoying blank buttons where you are always reminded of the option you did not buy. But R&M has done as best as can be expected given current technologies and formats. Certainly, the Superdelite cockpit is far tidier than the majority of ebikes with similar functionalities.

The power from the nominal 250W (~600W peak) Bosch motor, upgraded to the current 85 nm of torque, is more than adequate. The trick to using it correctly is to find the right cadence/torque pressure. As everyone will tell you, the more you give, the more you get. On the HS version, there is a sweet spot that is designed to keep your cadence at a good clip and maintain speed. And doing that correctly is all about being in the right gear.

I’ve booked along at 28+ mph in the highest gear in Tour; and I’ve ascended the steepest, 30%+ grade hills in first or second in Sport mode, both without much effort at all. The most profound impact has been not hills at all, but wind. Wind can cut my efficiency in half and easily prompt a tap to the next higher assist.

I am fortunate that my town is committed to Protected Bike Lanes. As a car driver, I thoroughly supported them because it discouraged meandering bicyclists from getting caught up in my wheels. As an urban bicyclist, they are hands-down and without question exactly what every city should do. Massive difference in confidence and security.

My Superdelite was equipped with the ‘winged victory‘ standard rear rack (but no front rack); as well as the Fox Float suspension upgrade and Rock Razor tires. The Fox suspension may sound like overkill, but it manages the small bumps of city riding far better than the Suntour (but at a price). I intend to take this bike to fire trails and scale some local mountains on off-road paths. Though I’ve yet to test this proposition, I think the suspension upgrade is worth it. It certainly has been for the poor city roads thus far.

I have an outsized fear of getting a flat on this thing, so I added Tannus Armour inserts as well as tire sealant in a belt-and-suspenders way. In addition to the Included Abus folding lock, I use the Abus SmartX smartphone-operated lock when arriving where I’m going. Those, and, as mentioned, I have Hexlocked every possible thing. And that which is not locked, I take with me. I added the Kiox interlock that disables the motor except for that head unit, too.

Some have reported that the Tannus Armour inserts create a different feel. As I put them in before I even rode the bike, I cannot say. But the ride seems perfectly fine, to me. The suspension is transparent and very good. It is very easy to take for granted — and then you hop on your old, fork-suspension hardtail and realize that bikes without full suspension are basically uncomfortable.

Along these lines: The Gates Carbon Belt Drive is the dog that does not bark, the child who always behaves, and then never gets attention. Frankly, I cannot imagine ever going back to a derailleur setup and all the maintenance and faffing about that requires.

I replaced the included Ergon seat with a slightly wider Ergon ST Touring Core Men’s Ultra Saddle. It is more comfortable. But is it more comfy because of the Ergon tech? Tbh, I think it’s the extra width.

The purchase price, btw, is not where the expenses end. The mentioned trailer. The secunity locks. Service agreements. Tire inserts. Safety gear. Foul weather clothing. Full insurance, including liability. Maintenance gear. It all adds up. In my case, the total bill has been over $16 large.

Nonetheless, I’ve remarked to friends that the Superdelite is as close as the ebike industry has come to making a Honda Accord: comfortable, reliable, and useful. An all-around bike that does just about everything — city roads, trails, hauling — in an above-average way that is very friendly as a car replacement.

The Riese & Müller Superdelite is not quite perfect. There is a yet-to-be-corrected paint flaw on the stem (ahem: This is a $12,000 bicycle, guys). The Rohloff gears tend to get hung up on 8th gear — once even refusing to shift out despite repeated attempts, though I was correctly removing pedal pressure. The front hydraulic brake line initially could get caught on the right-hand bottle boss during a hard right turn (when the Fabric bottle was not installed), threatening to rip the hydraulic line right off. The mirror, though very good and vibration-free, is not as well secured as you might expect, mostly because of the exact angle of the grip in relation to the fitting; it needs to be occasionally tightened. And then, of course, there was the exceedingly poor communication management during the purchasing and delivery process.

Is the Riese & Müller Superdelite a ‘Bentley’? Well, no: It is a bicycle. But ‘yes,’ because the relative expectations are that of buying a Bentley. And this is something that both R&M and the dealers need to more completely embrace and service. Because that is what R&M is holding themselves out to be.

In the end, though, the Superdelite is a competent and confidence-inspiring SUV. An SUV that I expect to be as reliable as a Honda Accord for years and years to come.View attachment 62162

I have a 2020 E14 Delite and am very happy to have spent above average for this bike. I too would never go back to a chain after having a belt drive. My Delite was originally fitted with the Kiox display but I have upgraded to the latest Nyon which I much prefer particularly for the larger display. The custom power modes available allow you to have a number of different options for managing power delivery. In my case I do have one that gives something between eco and tour for start up and drops down once on the move, this one for crossing intersections. For your example you could restrict the power on startup and perhaps decide a speed band where you would factor in additional power for headwind or hills. I imagine with the HS model you can eat battery life going up hills at speed. There are 4 options for custom power curves so it can be used to optimise battery usage for 4 different types of terrain/cycling conditions. Certainly with a single 500Wh battery I do have a super eco mode that cuts power beyond 15km/hour (we have 25km/hr limit in Australia) Only used occasionally for longer trips on flatter terrain (Rail Trails) but handy to have.
Enjoy your R&M and stay safe.
Stephen

I have a 2020 E14 Delite and am very happy to have spent above average for this bike. I too would never go back to a chain after having a belt drive. My Delite was originally fitted with the Kiox display but I have upgraded to the latest Nyon which I much prefer particularly for the larger display. The custom power modes available allow you to have a number of different options for managing power delivery. In my case I do have one that gives something between eco and tour for start up and drops down once on the move, this one for crossing intersections. For your example you could restrict the power on startup and perhaps decide a speed band where you would factor in additional power for headwind or hills. I imagine with the HS model you can eat battery life going up hills at speed. There are 4 options for custom power curves so it can be used to optimise battery usage for 4 different types of terrain/cycling conditions. Certainly with a single 500Wh battery I do have a super eco mode that cuts power beyond 15km/hour (we have 25km/hr limit in Australia) Only used occasionally for longer trips on flatter terrain (Rail Trails) but handy to have.
Enjoy your R&M and stay safe.
Stephen
Interesting ... my R&M Delite GX E14 uses a chain drive. I'm on my 2nd chain (2500 miles) and clean/lube it regularly but with no derailleur, it is a very reliable if not maintenance free drivetrain. I have another ebike with the Enviolo Automatiq CVT and Gates Belt and so know the advantages of the Belt Drive. Switching the Delite from chain to Gates Belt should be pretty simple so might be an option. Thanks for the info.

Back