Known Issues & Problems with Riese & Müller Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Riese & Müller as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

I've been riding the Delite Mountain and Charger GX Rohloff now for a few months (video reviews are available on our website.) I've only encountered one problem so far :)

Problem: I end up riding 100+ km and being gone all day when I'm supposed to be working.
Solution: remove the second battery and install the rubber plug that Bosch provides to cover the electrical contacts in case of rain so that I avoid the temptation of exploring new places and riding all day (although a single 500wH battery still allows me to ride for at least half the day!)

Perhaps others will have more serious problems :)

Hi R&M,
Find a solution to the alignment problem on the Charger so a Rohloff hub can be coupled with a carbon belt drive and you are on a winner...I'd buy one
Also you need an agent on the west coast of Australia
A lot of people I know are very interested in your ebikes but move on to other brands as the R&M product is not available to view or to test ride locally

Last edited:
Hello Kelly,
I have watched your videos about the Delite is quite the machine. I just Viewed Courts video on The Delite as well this morning. This has been a fun morning for me. I am attending The White Sox home opener in Chicago today. So I have the day off work and have extra time to indulge in some YouTube videos. I also viewed your video on the Riese & Muller Nevo. I enjoyed it so much, I ordered a R&M Nevo Nuvinci HS from Propel. My experience has brought me to the opinion, that if one will utilize an e-bike for several thousand miles annually as a car replacement, that quality really counts and price should be a secondary consideration. Thanks again for the in-depth review and opinion on the Nuvinci CVT gearing, and Bosch drive system. I look forward to seeing and hearing Courts review Of the Nevo, and wish I could attend the Riese and Muller launch party at Propel, on Saturday April 8th so I could test ride the Nevo and meet the engineers. Thanks Again Kelly and Thanks Court for the awesome website and all the excellent reviews that I so enjoy watching.

I'm glad to hear that the videos were helpful for you. I agree, if you plan on riding a lot, then it is worth the investment in a quality eBike, and the Riese & Muller certainly are excellent quality.

I just posted a review of the R&M Cruiser and Swing, along with a long term review of the Charger GX Rohloff. I'm hoping to do the Charger GT Nuvinci once it stops raining here! (The rain doesn't keep me from riding, but it is harder to do videos in the rain.)

My main complaint is that my R&M Charger is pushing me into addiction. I started with the best of intentions: to do most of my commuting in Eco mode relying less so on Tour mode. Maximizing my exercise while optimizing my battery use. But after the latest commute where I had very little traffic and some open roads with good pavement (changed my route a bit), I made a round-trip commute mainly in Tour and Sport modes and shaved about 10 minutes off of my previous best 2 way time. The effortless, fast ride is addicting and when I revert to Eco I feel the contrast. So I guess there goes my exercise plan.

But aside from my addiction issues, one real issue I have with the bike is a persistent rubbing sound coming from the front which I assume is brake related. I tried to adjust on my own and made it worse so I've had 3 different mechanics from 2 different LBSs make some adjustments. It always seems to go away for a brief period but then returns after a ride or two and can vary in intensity. Could there be a wheel truing issue? I've watched plenty of Youtube videos on adjusting disc brakes but if the mechanics at my LBSs couldn't solve it I doubt I have the ability to do so. Any suggestions for a persistent brake alignment issue (assuming that is the problem)?

Kelly - I really appreciate the videos. Very informative and detailed. Nice work indeed and looks like you have some great places to test out your bikes.

Last edited:
Hey @Kelly @ CitrusCycles.ca! Thanks for your great feedback and videos. I've seen a few on YouTube and enjoy them. Feel free to share and embed them here in the relevant brand sections. There are way too many awesome ebikes available now for me to cover them all and it's great to see a fresh perspective :)

... one real issue I have with the bike is a persistent rubbing sound coming from the front which I assume is brake related. I tried to adjust on my own and made it worse so I've had 3 different mechanics from 2 different LBSs make some adjustments. It always seems to go away for a brief period but then returns after a ride or two and can vary in intensity. Could there be a wheel truing issue? I've watched plenty of Youtube videos on adjusting disc brakes but if the mechanics at my LBSs couldn't solve it I doubt I have the ability to do so. Any suggestions for a persistent brake alignment issue (assuming that is the problem)?...

I had the LBS adjust my brakes again earlier in the week ... then commuted two days this week to work for about 72 miles total ... same issue is that the bike started out silent after the LBS adjustments but in the return trip of the first commute the bike developed some rear brake noise. By the end of the second commute it was much louder. Maybe this is an issue common to bikes with hydraulic disc brakes ? I did watch Youtube videos that suggested that brake adjustments are a frequent maintenance item for mountain bikers. Well, everything else about the R&M Charger has been great. It feels like comfortable, fast and solid bike. But the noisy, rubbing brakes has been kind of a nuisance.

Also another prop for the Super Moto-X tires. Similar to a prior experience I related, on my first commute this week I saw a pile of glass too late to avoid. I crunched right through it and ended up with no flats. So far I've pulled several small shards of glass from between the treads and no punctures. I've picked up the habit of inspecting my tires after each commute.

I have the Delite mountain bikes with 2 batteries. Great piece of kit and brilliant balance and build quality. I have 2 issues one is that the rubber dampers which stop the batteries rattling on the frame often pull out when extracting the batteries and I can't find spares (I bought some small round rubber self adhesive kitchen door stoppers which I stick directly to the battery, works well but not ideal)

The second issue I have is a real mystery, when I have been riding four about half an hour I get a clicking noise which sounds similar to the noise you get with a new chain, however it is only heard under load. If I put the bike on a stand I hear nothing. The noise is fairly regular but not totally. It sounds not too dissimilar to a ratchet noise. There is no performance problem with the Bosch performance CX motor but the noise does seem to come from that area.

Any ideas as to what this might be would be useful.

I had the LBS adjust my brakes again earlier in the week ...

After some more persistent brake rubbing that alternates from some light rubbing to a louder metal on metal sound, my LBS which is mainly a Trek shop wants to do a brake bleed, change the pads and replace the rear rotor. I'm not sure that is necessary but then when I think I've had two different shops and probably 4 different mechanics adjust the brakes to no long term avail then it makes me I should go ahead and give it a shot.

I was encouraged that my LBS which I did not purchase this bike from recently put up a large banner outside that said "we service all makes and models". I also just found out they are a Haibike dealer (they just haven't stocked any yet at the location closest to my house).

After some more persistent brake rubbing that alternates from some light rubbing to a louder metal on metal sound, my LBS which is mainly a Trek shop wants to do a brake bleed, change the pads and replace the rear rotor. I'm not sure that is necessary but then when I think I've had two different shops and probably 4 different mechanics adjust the brakes to no long term avail then it makes me I should go ahead and give it a shot.

I was encouraged that my LBS which I did not purchase this bike from recently put up a large banner outside that said "we service all makes and models". I also just found out they are a Haibike dealer (they just haven't stocked any yet at the location closest to my house).
I had some brake problems too. The front was squealing and had no stopping power. The pads were contaminated with hydraulic fluid, likely from when I changed my tube for the first time. I went to Philly Electric Wheels and they wanted to replace the entire Deore brake system, with the caliper, and the rotor. Would've been probably 200. I said I'd call them, left and rode over to another shop. They took my bike right away, he tested it the brake was leaking, and it wasnt. So he spent some good time really scrubbing my rotor with acetone I think, and got it really clean. He also replaced the pads and bedded them properly for me. After that it has been perfect for the past month. You never know what you're gunna get from a shop. This was a real honest guy who helped me out, and he even had issues adjusting my brake so that it didn't rub. It only had the slightest friction happening for a split second each revolution of the wheel. He said it will just run itself down, and it did, I learned that light rubbing of brake pads on the rotor doesnt matter too much, but can be annoying. I am no one to question the mechanic you spoke with, but just wanted to share my experience.

I had some brake problems too. The front was squealing and had no stopping power. The pads were contaminated with hydraulic fluid, likely from when I changed my tube for the first time. I went to Philly Electric Wheels and they wanted to replace the entire Deore brake system, with the caliper, and the rotor. Would've been probably 200. I said I'd call them, left and rode over to another shop. They took my bike right away, he tested it the brake was leaking, and it wasnt. So he spent some good time really scrubbing my rotor with acetone I think, and got it really clean. He also replaced the pads and bedded them properly for me. After that it has been perfect for the past month. You never know what you're gunna get from a shop. This was a real honest guy who helped me out, and he even had issues adjusting my brake so that it didn't rub. It only had the slightest friction happening for a split second each revolution of the wheel. He said it will just run itself down, and it did, I learned that light rubbing of brake pads on the rotor doesnt matter too much, but can be annoying. I am no one to question the mechanic you spoke with, but just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks Matt that is good info. PHEW! I've never been to their shop but I actually purchased one of my Tern regular bikes from them. They were the only shop that had a remaining model that I wanted for my wife. They were pretty good to me but of course (living in the Detroit area) I've never had to use them for mechanical work.

After your post and similar comments about debris on the pads I'm thinking your solution is probably what I need. I kind of committed however to replace that rotor, do the bleed and replace the pads. The whole thing is only $70 so the cost isn't an issue. My only trepidation is what you say about never knowing what your going to get from the shop. In my case, the LBS is pretty large and has some good mechanics and some inexperienced/less good mechanics. I'll probably go through with it (drop it off tomorrow) and I just hope it isn't a decision I'll later regret. I just paid the same LBS to build a wheel and dynamo hub on one of my regular bikes and the jury is still out on the quality of the job. I've had to take it back twice for some minor adjustments.

Thanks Matt that is good info. PHEW! I've never been to their shop but I actually purchased one of my Tern regular bikes from them. They were the only shop that had a remaining model that I wanted for my wife. They were pretty good to me but of course (living in the Detroit area) I've never had to use them for mechanical work.

After your post and similar comments about debris on the pads I'm thinking your solution is probably what I need. I kind of committed however to replace that rotor, do the bleed and replace the pads. The whole thing is only $70 so the cost isn't an issue. My only trepidation is what you say about never knowing what your going to get from the shop. In my case, the LBS is pretty large and has some good mechanics and some inexperienced/less good mechanics. I'll probably go through with it (drop it off tomorrow) and I just hope it isn't a decision I'll later regret. I just paid the same LBS to build a wheel and dynamo hub on one of my regular bikes and the jury is still out on the quality of the job. I've had to take it back twice for some minor adjustments.
hows it going now?

hows it going now?
All good here. I got the bike back from the LBS on Monday. They did the brake bleed, a new back rotor and new back pads. My only test was a 1.5 mile ride home from the shop and I didn't have any noise. The brakes were responsive. Due to schedule and weather I haven't commuted to work this week but I am targeting Friday which I think is National Bike to Work Day. I sure don't want to miss that so I hope the weather holds true to the forecast (64F high temp, sunny and 10 mph headwind on return trip). My wife and I just got back from the Ride of Silence which we did on our human power Terns (12 miles). We brought up the rear but a good ride for a good cause. How are your trips around Philly going? I saw your post on the search for a suspension fork for trail riding. Would the fork that comes on the Delite Mountain fit?

All good here. I got the bike back from the LBS on Monday. They did the brake bleed, a new back rotor and new back pads. My only test was a 1.5 mile ride home from the shop and I didn't have any noise. The brakes were responsive. Due to schedule and weather I haven't commuted to work this week but I am targeting Friday which I think is National Bike to Work Day. I sure don't want to miss that so I hope the weather holds true to the forecast (64F high temp, sunny and 10 mph headwind on return trip). My wife and I just got back from the Ride of Silence which we did on our human power Terns (12 miles). We brought up the rear but a good ride for a good cause. How are your trips around Philly going? I saw your post on the search for a suspension fork for trail riding. Would the fork that comes on the Delite Mountain fit?
Were the original parts defective
Are you claiming the cost of repairs against your warranty

Were the original parts defective
Are you claiming the cost of repairs against your warranty

You know, I didn't think to ask about the parts or claim on warranty. Regarding the former, the LBS just asked if I wanted the used parts back and I said no. Regarding the latter, the total bill was about $70 so really not enough for me to bother with a warranty claim even if it was something that would be covered.

Hey glad to hear that everything is good now. Glad to hear that you went to the ride of silence! My trips around Philly are going pretty well, I have been enjoying the bike a lot when it's working:) I have around 1,500 miles now. I enjoy riding on this one paved trail that leads from Center City going north about 8 miles along the river, which I then cross one street into a different trail through the woods and along the river which is also paved. Was a great ride both ways, had to head up there the other day. I actually wanted to really have a thrill riding so long on pavement with no cars and did 27mph the entire stretch both ways. Blew through a lot of battery!

Yeah I really want to get a new fork and shock, the ones on the Delite mountain are actually a perfect fit since the frames are the same, but it isnt that big of an upgrade. I feel like everything about this bike is just the top of the line possible, including the headlight I fitted and the Nyon display, I just wanted to be riding the ferrari of ebikes, so I want to get the top end suspension. As childish as it sounds, I want to know I have the best:) But I really do want to do as much trail riding as possible now that I have the bike. Before getting it I did not think I would want to, but currently I find myself jumping every curb and speeding up to bunny hop speed bumps. It is just wayyyyy too much fun!!

You know, I didn't think to ask about the parts or claim on warranty. Regarding the former, the LBS just asked if I wanted the used parts back and I said no. Regarding the latter, the total bill was about $70 so really not enough for me to bother with a warranty claim even if it was something that would be covered.
Good luck on your ride tomorrow!

Good luck on your ride tomorrow!
Thanks! It went very well today. The brakes were perfect. No noise no rubbing. I will have to stop by the LBS and drop off a tip for the mechanics (perhaps pay for lunch). I was pretty nervous about letting them work on the bike but seems they did a great job. Today was National Bike to Work Day and I didn't encounter a single cyclist but I left at 5:30 a.m. A coworker of mine said he encountered a group of 20 or so on a major boulevard. I was 16.5 miles in 1 hour on the early morning commute about 48F with a 10 mph tail wind. Coming home was a bit more difficult with a 10 mph headwind and 61F cloudy skies in 1:15. Total about 35 miles total (the route home is a bit longer than the route to work).

Thanks! It went very well today. The brakes were perfect. No noise no rubbing. I will have to stop by the LBS and drop off a tip for the mechanics (perhaps pay for lunch). I was pretty nervous about letting them work on the bike but seems they did a great job. Today was National Bike to Work Day and I didn't encounter a single cyclist but I left at 5:30 a.m. A coworker of mine said he encountered a group of 20 or so on a major boulevard. I was 16.5 miles in 1 hour on the early morning commute about 48F with a 10 mph tail wind. Coming home was a bit more difficult with a 10 mph headwind and 61F cloudy skies in 1:15. Total about 35 miles total (the route home is a bit longer than the route to work).
Glad to hear that! It feels nice when everything is running smooth. It sounds like you had a nice ride, despite the lack of fellow cyclists on your route. Wind can be a real battery drainer that's for sure

Back