Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Yep I've had mine jump off quite a few times, it's a right pain in the ass to get the chain back out. It jams behind the crosshead screw holding the bashplate on. I thought about putting a larger headed screw in to stop the chain getting past, but when I started to unscrew the screw it didn't want to come right out, as tho there was a nut on the end, so I stopped. Maybe some kind of larger diameter inner ring could be sourced or fabricated.

I've changed my front ring, it's now mounted on the outside without the guard so there is more space, chain still comes off but it doesn't jam. I'm going to try a front derailluer, and lock it centrally as a guide.

Attachments

• 20190513_221353.jpg
    20190513_221353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20190513_221321.jpg
    20190513_221321.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
I've changed my front ring, it's now mounted on the outside without the guard so there is more space, chain still comes off but it doesn't jam. I'm going to try a front derailluer, and lock it centrally as a guide.

When you took it apart, was it possible to attach the guard ring on the inside. Or does the chain line make the chain rub. Not sure a front derailleur would sort it, but some sort of guide is needed, I have a chain devise on my DH bike to stop this, but that is a completely different set up.

Try a narrow wide chain ring
This may stop the chain from coming off

When you took it apart, was it possible to attach the guard ring on the inside. Or does the chain line make the chain rub. Not sure a front derailleur would sort it, but some sort of guide is needed, I have a chain devise on my DH bike to stop this, but that is a completely different set up.

No there is no room because of the frame, a smaller diameter chain guard should work but I didn't bother.
Front chainring is now 48t I go faster but use more battery.

No there is no room because of the frame, a smaller diameter chain guard should work but I didn't bother.
Front chainring is now 48t I go faster but use more battery.

I did think about a bigger chainring, so I get a better spread of wear from the rear cassette instead of just running 7,8,9 and ten.

I did think about a bigger chainring, so I get a better spread of wear from the rear cassette instead of just running 7,8,9 and ten.

On the original drive I used just 9 and 10, angle of the chain was speeding up the wear rate. Now the angle is better and I use 6-9 and occasionally 10.

My next problem, the head bearing is loose, I'll try and get a video of it creaking, although it should be an easy fix.
More worrying is the motor is loose, I can see movement when I flex the pedals by putting a bit of hand pressure on. The mounting bolts are tight so I suspect the holes in the frame or motor have worn.?
Back to Giant for the warranty.

My next problem, the head bearing is loose, I'll try and get a video of it creaking, although it should be an easy fix.
More worrying is the motor is loose, I can see movement when I flex the pedals by putting a bit of hand pressure on. The mounting bolts are tight so I suspect the holes in the frame or motor have worn.?
Back to Giant for the warranty.

Are you seeing side play in the crank arms of is the whole motor moving ?

A very small amount of play in the crank arm is normal on the yamaha motor I believe.

Yes I heard about the end float, no the whole motor is moving. I took some video but it's too large to upload.

Yes I heard about the end float, no the whole motor is moving. I took some video but it's too large to upload.

I had issues with the motor/frame creaking quite early on, when I put pressure down on the cranks, I took it in and they regreased the mounting bolts, it's been fine since with nearly 4k miles on it. I'd contact Giant and let them have a look.

As for the headset I dropped the forks out and cleaned up all the contact surfaces, then used copper slip and refitted everything. Once again it's been fine since.

Thanks for that, I'll try the copperslip on the headset.
I also had the creaking early on, I thought it might be the plastic panels around the motor flexing with the frame when you pedal. When investigating the creaking, I looked at my road bike and hadn't realised how much the frame flexes when you push hard. I think the position of the mounting bolts are vulnerable to being levered by pedalling. Getting to my nearest Giant store is a logistical nightmare in the middle of Cambridge ? so not looking forward to it.

I also had the creaking early on, I thought it might be the plastic panels around the motor flexing with the frame when you pedal. When investigating the creaking, I looked at my road bike and hadn't realised how much the frame flexes when you push hard. I think the position of the mounting bolts are vulnerable to being levered by pedalling. Getting to my nearest Giant store is a logistical nightmare in the middle of Cambridge ? so not looking forward to it.
On mine, I actually tried removing all the plastics, didn’t get quieter, just had a slightly different tone. Maybe resonated off them a bit, but didn’t seem to be the source.

I had the same creaking. its the plastic cover of the battery terminal rubbing against the plastic engine cover. I have put anti seize compound on the motor bolts and cleaned the plastic covers around the motor and the creaks went away.

I have a Giant Explore E-2 with apparent electrical issues. I got caught out in fairly heavy rain one day and decided to climb a very steep hill so I pushed it up to max power - then it wouldn't come back down to lower power levels. When I got home, still in max power, the battery wouldn't turn off so I had to take the battery right out. Put it back in the next day and the lights wouldn't turn on. Later the front one came on but not the back one. Then the bike decided to adjust the power level automatically - jumping up and down between levels!

Took the bike to my lbs - they tested, rode etc and couldn't make it fault.

After a week in my sick bed I finally got out for another ride today, seven km in and the motor stops assisting but the power levels were still able to be adjusted. Decided to try the old Microsoft technique of turning off and on but it wouldn't turn back on. It was a very long, hard ride home without any power assist! Battery is currently on the charger but it wasn't showing as flat so I doubt it will help.

I guess it's back to the lbs on Monday but I am very frustrated as this is a new bike, not yet three months old. I paid a lot of money and have looked after it!

I had the controls switch unit changed when that happen to me, a few others on this forum have had the same after washing or heavy rain. I rode mine all through the winter though. I guess if we all have our bikes repaired under warranty then Giant will improve the water resistance.

Back