Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Thanks but do you know what they replaced ? The control unit ?
I will check it again to today , then contact my dealer...

That’s the bit that switches it on and off. Also moved it from Eco - Spirts mode. I hope that’s it’s name.

Well I got it back from my dealer. He ordered a diagnostic stick from Giant and reset everything. He also replaced the thumb switch and added a rubber cover on the wire connection. Giant covered the part, but the dealer hit me for $150 in labor. even though it was within 60 days of purchase. I have 5 more of these covers if anyone wants me to send them one. Lee

Attachments

• 20180328_164646918_iOS.jpg
    20180328_164646918_iOS.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,945
I have a Full-e sx pro for less than two weeks now. I live in northern BC and it's wet here. Washed the bike twice and am now getting exact same problem as described above. Bike turns on by itself, turn it off and it fires up right away again. Same behavior with control unit disconnected so I think its either the display or the battery. I know I'm no bike engineer but IMHO if the contacts were in the top of the battery compartment rather than the bottom it would go a long ways towards keeping water issues at bay. Living in a rain forest I'm losing confidence in this bikes ability to hold up to the conditions.....Hopefully the fix is a real fix and not just a replacement of the same parts. Other than that I love the bike, Rides great!

I have a Full-e sx pro for less than two weeks now. I live in northern BC and it's wet here. Washed the bike twice and am now getting exact same problem as described above. Bike turns on by itself, turn it off and it fires up right away again. Same behavior with control unit disconnected so I think its either the display or the battery. I know I'm no bike engineer but IMHO if the contacts were in the top of the battery compartment rather than the bottom it would go a long ways towards keeping water issues at bay. Living in a rain forest I'm losing confidence in this bikes ability to hold up to the conditions.....Hopefully the fix is a real fix and not just a replacement of the same parts. Other than that I love the bike, Rides great!

I looked at my battery today and how it sits in the frame . I think I am going to try and make my on thin gasket that I can affix to the bottom of the battery in some way. A short term solution might be to put some tape over the over the parts where the battery meets the frame. I know it's jakey but you might be able to enjoy your bike more in you particular climate.

Last edited:
Just FWIW, I have a 6 month old Giant Full-E Pro 1 which has been trouble free (and frankly awesome) until I gave it a particularly thorough wash over the weekend, now I also have the issue where the bike turns on as soon as the battery is mounted, I can turn it off with the control pad but then can't turn it back on without removing/replacing the battery. At this stage I'm just going to leave it for a few days to see if it dries out on it's own as others have mentioned in this thread. If I knew where exactly the water had ingressed I could ty something like CRC to force it out I suppose..

Just FWIW, I have a 6 month old Giant Full-E Pro 1 which has been trouble free (and frankly awesome) until I gave it a particularly thorough wash over the weekend, now I also have the issue where the bike turns on as soon as the battery is mounted, I can turn it off with the control pad but then can't turn it back on without removing/replacing the battery. At this stage I'm just going to leave it for a few days to see if it dries out on it's own as others have mentioned in this thread. If I knew where exactly the water had ingressed I could ty something like CRC to force it out I suppose..

Leave it out in the sunshine for a while; a few hours maybe.

After reading some poorly translated Giant documentation that discussed avoiding getting water near the motor, I was quite concerned about moisture. Then I found Giant's video (link below) on how to wash your e-bike and was no longer concerned. The guy in the video soaks the bike pretty good (battery removed and water definitely going onto the exposed contacts where the battery connects). He gently bounces the bike on the rear tire to shake excess water off before drying.

I did have moisture inside the display that fogged the screen and took several days to clear up (I pulled the rubber plug that protects the USB port and used a blow dryer on low and it finally cleared -- have to be careful to keep blow dryer far enough away to not overheat display).

How to Wash Your Ebike

OK, now it happened to me too. I recently washed my muddy Giant Full-E SX O with a hose. Now when I put the battery on the frame. the dash lights up and it will restart every time I try to shut it down. I tried contact cleaner, a hair dryer and grease on the switch connecter plug and usb Sat overnite and only lost a few percent but one day later same results !? Is there a reset somewhere on the control panel ? Love the bike, Lee NY
Let me repeat this for EVERYONE, as I tell all my customers, DO NOT WASH YOUR E-BIKE (or Bike) with a hose. You are asking for trouble.

Hi all, I brought the 2016 road e+1 in April 2017 and after a 100 miles the forks broke, giant couldn’t replace them for 6 weeks so gave me the 2017 model.
Well after 3 months the forks broke again, so after talks with giant the made a new fork for the bike which took 6 weeks to come.
Then my led display was full of condensation which they replaced & in no time it did it again which they again replaced.
3 weeks ago the forks have broke again & there are no 2018 bikes in a L frame available so giant have offered me a refund.
Apparently on the fork the bottom of the alloy stem is welded but the top part is glued & it’s this bit what is failing.
My dealer has never got a true answer from giant as to why they are breaking but it only seem’s to be the L frame.
So I’m e bike less at the moment???.
Picture below of the new fork they made, new one is about 100mm longer.

Attachments

• EC49FF5A-909B-48B8-B6F6-340668D2CA4F.jpeg
    EC49FF5A-909B-48B8-B6F6-340668D2CA4F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 955
Last edited:
This is concerning that an ebike cannot be washed. Any bike can be cleaned but it has to be done correctly here is some basic tips in no particular order:

- remove battery
- remove display if possible (cover display / touchpad if not removable)
- never use a pressure washer
- use a hose with a nozzle that allows you to spray a mist type output
- never force water in the hubs, display area or drive unit area
- always read the bike manufactures directions / manuals before to see if they permit washing the bike this way. If unsure contact them and ask to be sure.
- It's my opinion that if you can't wash your ebike on occasion then what does this mean when riding the bike in the rain? Winter? etc..... A high quality properly built ebike can handle this. If any manufacturer told me outright not to wash their bikes with a light mist off a hose I would dump the brand immediately as that would speak volumes to the quality of the product.

We suggest a bucket of water, sponge or cloth and soap and wash the bike. Apply an ebike safe degreaser when necessary before getting wet if required (follow directions) that way then spray lightly afterwards to rinse off soap.

Once completed re-lube the bike.

Will

shop.scooteretti.com

This is concerning that an ebike cannot be washed. Any bike can be cleaned but it has to be done correctly here is some basic tips in no particular order:

- remove battery
- remove display if possible (cover display / touchpad if not removable)
- never use a pressure washer
- use a hose with a nozzle that allows you to spray a mist type output
- never force water in the hubs, display area or drive unit area
- always read the bike manufactures directions / manuals before to see if they permit washing the bike this way. If unsure contact them and ask to be sure.
- It's my opinion that if you can't wash your ebike on occasion then what does this mean when riding the bike in the rain? Winter? etc..... A high quality properly built ebike can handle this. If any manufacturer told me outright not to wash their bikes with a light mist off a hose I would dump the brand immediately as that would speak volumes to the quality of the product.

We suggest a bucket of water, sponge or cloth and soap and wash the bike. Apply an ebike safe degreaser when necessary before getting wet if required (follow directions) that way then spray lightly afterwards to rinse off soap.

Once completed re-lube the bike.

Will

shop.scooteretti.com
You can do a lot with a damp sponge.

I have the exact same symptoms with my Giant Road E+1 Pro, also after a thorough wash (no hose or pressure washer used) and now my assist is cutting out at 11mph:( I have tried disconnecting the barrel connector from the switch to the display and letting it dry thoroughly but to no avail:( I suspect it might be the switch, after the new year I will be getting it checked out at my LBS! I had a problem earlier this year after being caught in a downpour, my display kept powering up on its own but it cleared by itself after a few days in the dry!

Thankfully my assist was back to normal today, I'm still having the problem with the power switch though:( I have my bike booked in for next Saturday so I will await the diagnostic report!

Now the power switch has started working again, everything is back to the way it should be! I cancelled my appointment on Saturday, I hope the problems don't return...

Back