Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Giant as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Giant as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.
Thank you and very well done. I look forward to people's comments. I absolutely love my bike, and did return for a replacement of the front derailleur cable. Shimano has a coating on the cable that sometimes sloughs off and gums up the housing etc. Shop replaced at N/C, and without question. One of the many benefits of buying an ebike from a bicycle company.

Last edited:
My 2017 Giant Quick E+ has an issue with not powering off ? it happened 2 months ago as well and at the time Giant store said it was a code issue on the battery and bring it in a swap the battery with new coded one
Has any one else had this issue?

I find that you have to hold the power button down about 20 sec for it to power off. Developed a rubbing sound under load and replaced the motor but that didn't do it. Giant Rep is involved and will handle to my satisfaction this week. Giant has made a commitment and holds customer service in high regard.

Thanks, I normally hold for 5 - 10, today is seemed to power off, started happening after last Thursday caught in heavy rain downpour and rode through it, not sure if related

I am having problems with the powering up all lights come on, the the mode light stays on then goes off 5 seconds after the other lights any ideas

Hi, I am from Dublin Ireland bought a Giant Quick e+ to commute into work. I am riding this bike for a few days now no problem. But this morning it wouldn't power on when I press the on button the display shows the Giant logo for a few seconds and it goes to black again. Battery is full charged as I check this on the battery pack it self. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

Rain

My Dirt e bike has done very well for 6 months being used everyday mostly on bush rides in Ontario. I may have been getting a bit cocky after riding it through some water holes and rain storms because the bike performed perfectly until ....
Last week I was in a heavy rain, no issues until that evening when we noticed the bike had powered up and wouĺd not turn off. The battery was pulled.
Since then it powers up as soon a the battery is installed and will not shift from eco mode. None of the resets for trip distance etc works.
I suspect mosture got into the controller although it appears in good shape.
Any thoughts for me?
Bevan

Update on the no control issues:
I contacted the dealer who assured me the system is well sealed and water penetration was most unlikely. It was agreed I would pull apart the connections on the control cables to allow them to dry.
The bike was ridden every day with no improvement but after each ride the battery was removed and the connections detached. Just when I was making plans to go back to the dealer everything began working again and things are good for over a week now. I really like the bike.

Update on the no control issues:
I contacted the dealer who assured me the system is well sealed and water penetration was most unlikely. It was agreed I would pull apart the connections on the control cables to allow them to dry.
The bike was ridden every day with no improvement but after each ride the battery was removed and the connections detached. Just when I was making plans to go back to the dealer everything began working again and things are good for over a week now. I really like the bike.

My Evo display got water into it after a very short shower and steamed up and stopped working! (replaced under warranty though}

My 2017 Giant Quick E+ has an issue with not powering off ? it happened 2 months ago as well and at the time Giant store said it was a code issue on the battery and bring it in a swap the battery with new coded one
Has any one else had this issue?

Hi . I have seen this with a customers bike before . follow the lead from the on/off controller down about 6 inch's where it connects to the LCD screen lead . pull apart the connection which can be stiff . When you look into it you will see 8 tiny pin holes . you may see a tiny amount of green residue, spray with some electrical contact cleaner when put 1 extremely tiny drop of standard bike oil on the connection. push connections back together and check on/off .

Just a general heads up... My explore 3 was on my hitch when my car got hit on the highway. My bike was repaired but one thing I learned was it's fairly difficult to get parts for these bikes. Giant didn't have a part number for the front sprocket so it took weeks to get a replacement. I also noticed, their kick stand has been out of stock for a few months and they don't estimate getting new ones until January 2018.

Just something to keep in mind since bikes tend to need repairs at one point. Hopefully this gets better over time.

Hi all. Im happy i came across this thread and hope its still active.
Riding a Giant E+1 for about 6 months and have been caught in some heavy rain early on without having any issues. And again recently, or so i thought.

Last 2 days i get an A5 error randomly, controlls dont work, wont turn off and it wants to cycle off on its own without me pressing the walk button. If im already in sport mode then i wont notice until i stop. Power management is unaffected while cycling.

I have noticed some water residue in the battery holder but never on the contacts. I will try the advice provided and let you know how it goes. I hope i dont have to return part of the bike because ill have better luck touching the sun than i will finding my warrenty papers.

Brand new Liv transported home on a trailer hitch rack got drenched for over an hour in heavy rain. LCD kept turning itself back on as soon as you let go of the button. Removed the battery. The LCD would light up before I even got the battery fully seated. I poked around on the internet and ran across someone saying they found water in that little barrel connector between the LCD and the thumbpad near the left grip. I pried that connector open, sure enough, some moisture was visible. I blasted both ends of the connector with a can of compressed air and things have been OK since.

There's a big problem if you want to swap the OEM grips for something else. I imagine this pops up with several of the Giant/Liv bikes.

I bought a set of Ergon GP4's to replace the OEM grips. The Ergons come in Large and Small. Both Large and Small are the same length, and the big "paddle" seems to be the same. Only difference is in the diameter of the grip where it's round, not paddle-shaped.

When removing the Liv grips I was surprised to see that the thumbpad on the left that controls the bike's electronic functions does not attach to the handlebar. It keys into a hard plastic sleeve that extends outward from the Liv grip.

It's hard to explain this. The Liv grip has a small collar extending past the inner edge of the grip. The thumpad slips over this collar, and the set screw bites into it. The ring part of the thumbpad, which you would expect to fit snugly around the handlebar, instead fits onto this collar.

What this means is you can't just swap out the OEM grips with any old grip because the thumbpad will just flop around on the handlebars.

I really lucked out. The Ergon Small fits inside the thumbpad ring. I tightened the set screw and it held. Kinda ghetto but it worked. A Large Ergon would have been too thick to fit inside the thumbpad ring.

Hi all. Im happy i came across this thread and hope its still active.
Riding a Giant E+1 for about 6 months and have been caught in some heavy rain early on without having any issues. And again recently, or so i thought.

Last 2 days i get an A5 error randomly, controlls dont work, wont turn off and it wants to cycle off on its own without me pressing the walk button. If im already in sport mode then i wont notice until i stop. Power management is unaffected while cycling.

I have noticed some water residue in the battery holder but never on the contacts. I will try the advice provided and let you know how it goes. I hope i dont have to return part of the bike because ill have better luck touching the sun than i will finding my warrenty papers.

Same experience as myself. Heavy downpour - battery would not power off at all - remove battery completely and then when you reinstall, the system powered up without pressing the on/off button. Also, unbeknown to me initially, the walk mode was activating itself whilst I was riding - in doing so it would lock up the other power modes so you could not change from the power mode currently selected. Only twigged this when i got off the bike and it started off on its own under walk mode without me pressing any buttons at all. Pressing the walk mode button once whilst riding seemed to free up the other mode selectors. Dealer suggested pulling power cables apart and leaving to dry out, but found that after about a week the problem disappeared - must have dried out naturally I suppose. Have asked my dealer if Giant make a little umbrella that can be positioned over the vulnerable bits but have not had a reply. I now study at least three separate weather forecasts before setting out in an attempt to miss the worst of any rain.

As an aside, and never having had a bike with disc brakes before, after approx. 600 miles on UK Cornwall country roads , front brakes started grinding and then making a horrendous howling noise. Read all the stuff about cleaning everything and re-cantering the pads, but with no improvement. Culminated a week or so ago when coming round a bend in a country lane to find a lady on a horse in front of me. Pulled on the brakes hard, cue horrendous howling noise. The horse bolted, cue very unladylike language from rider as she disappeared into the distance. Decided I had better get the dealer to sort out the brakes on the grounds of everybody's safety.
Dealer has informed me that I have worn the front pads down to the metal, and the rear to their minimum and will need a new front disc rotor as well. As a bonus, dealer also tells me that the chain ought to be replaced due to wear. Ok, my own fault I suppose, should have checked the wear on the pads but I was a bit taken aback by the news that it seems I might have to replace the chain every 600 miles. Before anybody asks, yes I am retired, overweight and the Cornish roads and weather can be pretty unforgiving - but that's why I bough an e-bike after 40 years on a old fashioned one. Thinking I may need to sign myself up for an e-bike mechanics' class at evening school but I tend to go to bed early these days.
Despite the issues mentioned above, and lack of availability of a proper rear rack (have improvised with a Topeak Beam rack) I have thoroughly enjoyed doing things on this e-bike that I have not been able to do for years on a proper one due to disintegrating knees. Thoroughly recommend the concept and the Giant Quick-e bike to any similar old aged pensioners. Just be aware that dealers do not necessarily tell you about all the likely running costs.

There's a big problem if you want to swap the OEM grips for something else. I imagine this pops up with several of the Giant/Liv bikes.

I bought a set of Ergon GP4's to replace the OEM grips. The Ergons come in Large and Small. Both Large and Small are the same length, and the big "paddle" seems to be the same. Only difference is in the diameter of the grip where it's round, not paddle-shaped.

When removing the Liv grips I was surprised to see that the thumbpad on the left that controls the bike's electronic functions does not attach to the handlebar. It keys into a hard plastic sleeve that extends outward from the Liv grip.

It's hard to explain this. The Liv grip has a small collar extending past the inner edge of the grip. The thumpad slips over this collar, and the set screw bites into it. The ring part of the thumbpad, which you would expect to fit snugly around the handlebar, instead fits onto this collar.

What this means is you can't just swap out the OEM grips with any old grip because the thumbpad will just flop around on the handlebars.

I really lucked out. The Ergon Small fits inside the thumbpad ring. I tightened the set screw and it held. Kinda ghetto but it worked. A Large Ergon would have been too thick to fit inside the thumbpad ring.

See how I solved this problem on my Quick E+ on this thread (#58). The Ergon grips are so superior to the OEM grips.

OK, now it happened to me too. I recently washed my muddy Giant Full-E SX O with a hose. Now when I put the battery on the frame. the dash lights up and it will restart every time I try to shut it down. I tried contact cleaner, a hair dryer and grease on the switch connecter plug and usb Sat overnite and only lost a few percent but one day later same results !? Is there a reset somewhere on the control panel ? Love the bike, Lee NY

Last edited:
Mine was replaced. The shop where i bought the bike from contacted Giant and replacement part was there a few days later and all work done free of charge.

Back