Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Is that the original chain ring or did you go with a larger one as well? After having my chain get stuck twice in the last week I'm on the hunt for a more permanent solution to this issue. From what I can see options include moving to a larger chain ring, mounting the chain ring on the outside and installing a derailleur (perhaps I should do all three?)
Yepp all 3, I got a 48t chainring mounted on the outside (any larger won't fit), it still ill jumped off so I fitted the derailluer.

Yepp all 3, I got a 48t chainring mounted on the outside (any larger won't fit), it still ill jumped off so I fitted the derailluer.
The chain coming off wrecked the plastic cover, I'll get Giant to replace it as the cover is awkward to get to.
Now my front mudguard has snapped, I glued it back together but it only lasted a week, previously I had to reinforce the mounting as the vibration wore away the plastic clip. Giant offered a new one for £40 ? but unless I get it under warranty, I'll get a better one. I have covered 3500 miles now!

Attachments

• 20190806_101028.jpg
    20190806_101028.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 451
  • 20190806_101014.jpg
    20190806_101014.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 456
I had an unusual incident today with my 2019 Giant Road-E+ Pro. While I was riding, I attempted to change the tuning setting % of assistance on Eco level using the RideControl app. The app acted like it had accepted the change but the bike dash locked up and would not turn off or allow any control via the buttons. I had to stop and remove the battery to get it to restart and work properly again. Fortunately, I had my key with me to enable the battery to be removed. I'm pretty sure I have changed the % assistance setting while moving before.

Anybody have a Quick E? Mine came with the rear fender out of alignment - sitting 2/3 on the tire and 1/3 off the tire. Wheel is sitting perfect in the dropouts, just the fender is offline. Any ideas to fix?

I had an unusual incident today with my 2019 Giant Road-E+ Pro. While I was riding, I attempted to change the tuning setting % of assistance on Eco level using the RideControl app. The app acted like it had accepted the change but the bike dash locked up and would not turn off or allow any control via the buttons. I had to stop and remove the battery to get it to restart and work properly again. Fortunately, I had my key with me to enable the battery to be removed. I'm pretty sure I have changed the % assistance setting while moving before.
Some on here including me had display problems because of water ingress, usually fixed under warranty.

Anybody have a Quick E? Mine came with the rear fender out of alignment - sitting 2/3 on the tire and 1/3 off the tire. Wheel is sitting perfect in the dropouts, just the fender is offline. Any ideas to fix?
Yep - took the rack off, put it upside down in a woodwork bench vice and pulled the rack stays over to the right. Only took a small tweak but it wasn’t possible on the bike.

I put a couple washers between the rack and bike frame at the bottom of the rack support. Unscrew rack at bottom, pull it out until fender is aligned and then determine how many washers you need.
Mine took three and are invisible.

I have a 2017 Road E+ with about 3000 miles on it.
The E-part of the bicycle seems to be pretty solid (knock on wood).

However, I have some issues shifting. Shifting has never seem to be very smooth on this bike compared to my other push bikes.
Most frustratingly, I really have difficulty with shifting the front chainrings (have to try it many times before it will engage properly).

Also, I do not feel any discernible difference between "power" and "standard" mode.

One thing I learn not to do on this ebike is to cross chain. I have always been wimpy biker and cross chaining on my push bikes was never an issue. With the e-motor, I managed to bend/break a few cogs on the front chainrings - I ended up having to replace them.

The other thing I notice that the bike is very hard on brake pads (descending ~7k-8k feet every weekend). Looks like I will need brake replacement 2-3 times a year.

I have a 2017 Road E+ with about 3000 miles on it.
The E-part of the bicycle seems to be pretty solid (knock on wood).

However, I have some issues shifting. Shifting has never seem to be very smooth on this bike compared to my other push bikes.
Most frustratingly, I really have difficulty with shifting the front chainrings (have to try it many times before it will engage properly).

Also, I do not feel any discernible difference between "power" and "standard" mode.

One thing I learn not to do on this ebike is to cross chain. I have always been wimpy biker and cross chaining on my push bikes was never an issue. With the e-motor, I managed to bend/break a few cogs on the front chainrings - I ended up having to replace them.

The other thing I notice that the bike is very hard on brake pads (descending ~7k-8k feet every weekend). Looks like I will need brake replacement 2-3 times a year.
I have the Quick E hybrid bike, same battery and motor. It's done nearly 4k miles now, and am on my 3rd chain and 2nd cassette. Could be your chain is stretched and won't mesh very well with a new chainring perhaps.

2nd set of brake pads as well, suppose it's a heavy bike and we are stopping from higher speeds generally.

Hi, got a 2019 Quick E+ a week ago and have an intermittent charging issue. I plug the charger in (makes no difference if battery is on the bike or not) and the green light on the charger flickers briefly then goes out instead of turning red. Unplug from the battery and the green light stays unlit. Turn charger power off, then on again, green light is back on. If I repeat this process every once and a while over a couple of hours it eventually works. I'm not sure, but there may be a correlation between the charger not working and how long since I stopped riding - perhaps battery temp? Doesn't seem to matter how much charge is left in the battery.

Other than that I like the bike so far. Observations:
- the rack is useless without the MIK top deck, which is hard to get, so I'm wearing a pack to commute;
- the Q factor is pretty high. The cranks are hitting my ankles, first time I've had that since I was about 5!
- fenders are pretty flimsy, reckon they might self destruct within 6 months;
- the steering geometry feels a bit weird, but I guess it's also the weight;
- it feels re-assuringly solid out of the saddle, little noticeable flex even though it's a heavy bike. That said, a creak has already developed somewhere around the motor, so I'll need to check the bolts.

Any help on the charging issue would be appreciated as I'd rather not be without a useable bike while waiting for a warranty claim.

Hi, got a 2019 Quick E+ a week ago and have an intermittent charging issue. I plug the charger in (makes no difference if battery is on the bike or not) and the green light on the charger flickers briefly then goes out instead of turning red. Unplug from the battery and the green light stays unlit. Turn charger power off, then on again, green light is back on. If I repeat this process every once and a while over a couple of hours it eventually works. I'm not sure, but there may be a correlation between the charger not working and how long since I stopped riding - perhaps battery temp? Doesn't seem to matter how much charge is left in the battery.

- the rack is useless without the MIK top deck, which is hard to get, so I'm wearing a pack to commute;
- the Q factor is pretty high. The cranks are hitting my ankles, first time I've had that since I was about 5!
- it feels re-assuringly solid out of the saddle, little noticeable flex even though it's a heavy bike. That said, a creak has already developed somewhere around the motor, so I'll need to check the bolts.

Any help on the charging issue would be appreciated as I'd rather not be without a useable bike while waiting for a warranty claim.

Once the light went off for a period of time, the battery was cold and had been in the garage during freezing temperatures. Once the battery got war

Once the light went off for a period of time, the battery was cold and had been in the garage during freezing temperatures. Once the battery got war
mer, it chachar
mer it charged as normal. Sorry about disjointed post, I keep touching post reply by mistake.

… That said, a creak has already developed somewhere around the motor, so I'll need to check the bolts

Just took my 2019 Explore E+ 1 in to the local Giant store to look at the motor / mount. Developed a really noticeable creak on hard pedaling. There is some free-play (in & out) on the crank axle that has me concerned and may be related - maybe 0.5mm - not a lot, but noticeable with your hand and there shouldn't really be any. We went around and tightened up all the obvious (easily accessible) bolts, including the crank arm bolts which needed quite a bit of tightening, but it did not get better. They are now going to open up the motor case to look at more of the mounting points and the internals.

Just took my 2019 Explore E+ 1 in to the local Giant store to look at the motor / mount. Developed a really noticeable creak on hard pedaling. There is some free-play (in & out) on the crank axle that has me concerned and may be related - maybe 0.5mm - not a lot, but noticeable with your hand and there shouldn't really be any. We went around and tightened up all the obvious (easily accessible) bolts, including the crank arm bolts which needed quite a bit of tightening, but it did not get better. They are now going to open up the motor case to look at more of the mounting points and the internals.

Creaks under pedalling load can come from multiple sources. This is my suggested approach based on creak elimination on my Quick E:

• Check the 3 x T30 motor mount bolts are tight (might need to renew the blue Loctite if they are loose).
  • Remove crank arms (you'll need a crank puller), grease the square taper interface and re-torque the crank bolts to 40nm. Mine kept loosening until I did this.
  • Check the chainring bolts are tight
  • Grease the rear wheel dropouts and axle interface - I use a mix of carbon grip paste and grease. Also remove the derailleur hanger and grease the contact surfaces. Make sure the QR cam is greased so that maxmimum compression is applied when tightly closed, and the wheel won't shift in the dropouts.
The last one cured the worst creaking.

I am having some issues with the brake calipers. They make a metallic creaking sound when passing over small bumps in the road. I am 100% sure it is from the brakes as when I move them by hand they make the exact annoying sound. I feel like the safety pin is two small and they have to much play.

Did anyone else encountered this problem, and is there any fix to this?I had a MTB with some cheap Tektro disk brakes and they did not make this horrible noise.

BTW I have a Quick E+ 2018 with Shimano M315 brakes.

Attachments

• 2019-08-29 11_43_27-BR-M315.png
    2019-08-29 11_43_27-BR-M315.png
    266.8 KB · Views: 414
Brake pads are designed to move freely on the split pin. You'd have to put a stethoscope on a single-pot Shimano caliper to hear pad noise - the finned Shimano pads with heatsinks do rattle a bit but it's never bothered me. You could try retensioning the pad springs... (assuming you're using pad springs, the el cheapo pads sometimes come without them).

So I couldn't get it to charge at all on Monday, took it to a Giant dealer (not the one I bought it from, as I had to go a fair way to find a 2019 Quick E+) and they tested with another charger. It looks like the charger is faulty. Sent it off to Giant for a warranty, now I have a very heavy 1x10.

Things I learnt in the process:
- Giant say they won't pay labour on warranty repairs;
- Giant also apparently won't pay shipping on warranty parts (either way).

I'm pretty surprised by their position on both of these points, and wonder how they stand under consumer law in Oz. They sold me something faulty, and according to their policy they now expect me to be out of pocket to have it brought to the state it should've been in when I bought it. I wonder if it's just there to dissuade people from making daft claims for punctures or something!

As an aside, when reading the warranty I was also interested to see the long the description of what their frame warranties actually cover is now. Anyways, let's see how long I'm without the "E+" for for my Quick.

keepuplad you should definitely make sure that Giant isn't violating Australian consumer laws. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Apple, as a prime example, has been forced to honor local laws in the EU and Australia. What is somewhat depressing is to see over and over how "high-end" brands skimp on warranties. Posters on this forum are constantly going on about the benefits of buying high-end bikes because of the warranty, yet most of the "warranties" offered by these companies have so many exclusions that they're almost worthless - so you're still relying on the whim of the seller. At least you expect that when you buy a cheap bike and haven't spent as much.

Anyways, let's see how long I'm without the "E+" for for my Quick.

New charger supplied under warranty ($10 in shipping), back on the road for 2-300km this week and all seems well so far. The bike is noticeably noisier than it was at <100km - some kind of a resonance at certain motor speeds - but is working fine and I'm loving riding it. Hasn't got wet yet though, so I guess I'll have to wait to see how it fares when it rains. Also still waiting on a MIK rack deck, 3 wks and counting.

Back