Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hello gooday mate. I dare not ask why you are called Browneye, as it appears your eyes are blue. However, I moved the magnet 1/4 inch, to the centre of the sensor, and WHOOPEE, it fixed it. Thank you ever so much! Such a simple thing that I completely overlooked it. A bit like when some appliance is not working, go back to basics. Is it plugged in? Is it turned on. Oh foolish me, once was technogit. Thanks Browneye, and we say "goodonyer mate!" Cheerio. (we also say that). So now I am test riding, and fully expect to have battery assist after six weeks pedalling and need hip replacement. Cheers.

None-the-less,
You bring up a good point............ I too could not find a listing of RideControl ONE Error Message definitions.
Anyone ?
Bueller ?
1580950725939.png

Craig :cool:

None-the-less,
You bring up a good point............ I too could not find a listing of RideControl ONE Error Message definitions.
Anyone ?
Bueller ?
View attachment 45220

Craig :cool:

It's down the bottom of thus article

Not super helpful , and having had an a1 error ( torque sensor ) I can tell you giants response was to repkace the motor rather than find out exactly what us wrong.

Like how do you read A5? Well, on the app - have not tried that. Does have a lot of other data for sure. I Iove how it integrates with mapping for nav. 👍

It's down the bottom of thus article

Not super helpful , and having had an a1 error ( torque sensor ) I can tell you giants response was to repkace the motor rather than find out exactly what us wrong.

I don't know how I missed that ?! 🥴 Thanks PDoz.............

Craig 😎

Rain Ingress (2018 Quick-E +)

Morning everyone. New member here - from Brisbane, Australia.

I'm a daily commuter and I've had my 2018 Quick-E Plus for nearly 2.5 years (just under 9,000km on the clock).

We get our fair share of rain here (usually in the afternoons coming home) and it's never been an issue until last week, riding home in a light-moderate shower most of the way home (~10km).

I noticed when turning her off, it would come back on by itself within ~3 seconds.

I unmounted the battery and left it overnight to dry out. Unfortunately the next morning the symptoms were even worse! When reconnecting the battery, without pressing anything - every icon on the screen lit up no buttons on the controller would do anything. The motor was unresponsive while it was in this fault mode as well.

So I had a very slow & heavy unassisted ride down to my local Giant store (Tom Wallace - Lutwyche) and it's been there for a week today with no success as yet.

I spoke to another guy who has the same model about a week before it happened and he was telling me his had the same issue after some moisture got into the controller.

Reading through these posts would suggest water into the controller appears to be a common issue with this model.

They're trying to swap screens and controllers around with what they have in stock, but I don't think they have the identical parts there. They said they need to speak with their guru in Melbourne but he has been off sick all of last week.

I'm not happy about being back on public transport to work each day and hope I get my black beauty back soon.

I'll post an update when I know more, but the wait is killing me here.

Last edited:
**Update: Got a call from my local Giant store who has my Quick-E. They have had the conversations with the experts in Melbourne, and it would appear that a new $250 EVO screen will resolve my issue.

I 99% believed it to be the controller rather than the screen, but hey if that works, then so be it. They will order it today and it should be here by Wed this week.

My only concern is what happens the next few times I'm riding home in the rain - was it really my screen, or is the controller going to make my new screen go faulty?

Are there such things as rain covers for the screen (if that is indeed where the water ingress issue was rather than the controller)?

**Update: Got a call from my local Giant store who has my Quick-E. They have had the conversations with the experts in Melbourne, and it would appear that a new $250 EVO screen will resolve my issue.

I 99% believed it to be the controller rather than the screen, but hey if that works, then so be it. They will order it today and it should be here by Wed this week.

My only concern is what happens the next few times I'm riding home in the rain - was it really my screen, or is the controller going to make my new screen go faulty?

Are there such things as rain covers for the screen (if that is indeed where the water ingress issue was rather than the controller)?

You just have to Duck your head inside to see the Screen.....................😂🤣;)

1584319333423.png

I had a similar problem last year, my bike would not switch on, 18 miles without any assistance 😬. My controller was replaced under warranty. No problems now even with the wettest February in history.

Rain Ingress (2018 Quick-E +) - Update!

It's been nearly 2 weeks and my local Giant store are still stumped on how to fix my bike.... :eek:

They have ordered the newer EVO screen which arrived yesterday, but said the motor is still not talking to the remote service (bluetooth) utility. So they are not confident to give it back to me until they have run some tests. They also mentioned an issue on the old screen where the ODO gets stuck at 9999km's (and needs the remote service utility tool to be able to 'reset' this).

So a frustrating few weeks delay for me and the poor guys at the shop trying to figure out what's going on. It's the current COVID-19 climate that really makes me uncomfortable catching public transport to the city and back each day - PLEASE give me my bike back so I can socially isolate 🤮

I advised them about the posts on this forum, and how many users had reported that it was the 'controller' that had water ingress issues (not the screen), but I think they are exhausting all avenues with trial and error.

Water / rain issues all seem to start the same: the bike keeps turning itself back on. But it's what happens next that varies from customer to customer. As mentioned, after leaving mine to dry the first night it happened - I re-connected the battery only to find every icon on the screen (old 'CHARGE' style) illuminated and no motor or controller button response at all. That's where my diagnostics take a different turn from the others on this forum.

They report the fix as being:

• LBS Replaced controller
  • Took controller apart and dried it out (naturally or hair dryer)
  • Replace screen
  • Left the bike as is for 1-2 days and everything just started working again

They are calling the Giant 'guru' in Melbourne for further advice, but I get a strong impression that even the experts in Melbourne have about run out of ideas.

If anyone else has any other ideas on rain ingress issues on a 2018 Quick-e+ (AU model) - I would love to hear about it.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Matt, in their defence my 2018 australian full e pro played similar silly buggers when the screen had water ingress and replacing the EVO screen was enough to get me out on the trails whilst awaiting a new button unit. The connection between handlebar switch and screen, as well as the connection near the stem / in the frame between the screen and the rest of the magic are both at risk of water ingress ( dielectric grease is your freind)

The melb giant guru has been great and I'll be very surprised if they can't help you

ps the later generation evo screens are infinitely more water resistant than the 2018 screen - silicone bead around all joints etc. My second screen survived some extreme weather without any issues

Rain Ingress (2018 Quick-E +) - Update #2

So no good news to date. Their software tool they use still won't connect to the replacement screen. They have tried both a CHARGE and an EVO screen, and they have the same result. They swear black & blue that the controller is NOT the issue. They have confirmed on several occasions that my controller is working perfectly and has no water ingress issues.

They have concluded that they have never seen this behavior before - and that is coming from the experts in Melb as well.

They have spent countless hours and days working on it - full credit to Tom Wallace Cycles - Lutwyche. They have tried their utmost to give me a result.

The only option now is to either completely re-wire the wiring harness / new controller / new screen - $1500

Or I could buy a new EVO screen and the mounts (as they need extra brackets to suit the 2018 Quick-E+) - $450 **The service tool will never be able to connect to the motor again - no software updates / no remote analysis of the engine etc etc

So I gave the guys the go ahead on option #2 above and will just hope that the lack of any motor software updates etc will not hinder my daily commute.

They also warned me that any modification or 3rd party device (Speedbox etc) that has been added WILL NOT be covered under any warranty, and Giant will want NOTHING to do with the bike ever again - they won't even touch it!

Even if the bike had a speed module installed, I doubt it would cause a water ingress issue (that starts off like all the other water issues on the Quick-E).

So I should have an answer by Wed next week to see if the bike is again ride-able.

Apparently the older CHARGE screens have a 4-digit ODO limit on the display, and will start causing major problems when it reached 9999 (ie no speed display / no mileage / no ODO). Also it cannot be reset by the remote service tool.

The new EVO display has a 5-digit display on the ODO that will buy you another 90'000kms before you run into problems. Even after that point - it CAN at least be reset.

I will post another update when I find out ~Wed next week.

Why would replacing the screen prohibit future connecting and updating? Why are you having to pay for it? Warranty has expired? Giant not covering anything?
Hopefully they get this sorted for you. I went thru a similar struggle with a Bafang hub drive - threw a lot of time and money at it and finally came to replacing the motor. Still waiting on parts.

These things are all fine and dandy 'till they break and no one can figure out how to fix them. And why I simply would not mail-order an expensive ebike. A cheap one maybe...it's all a gamble.

Rain Ingress (2018 Quick-E +) - Update #2

So no good news to date. Their software tool they use still won't connect to the replacement screen. They have tried both a CHARGE and an EVO screen, and they have the same result. They swear black & blue that the controller is NOT the issue. They have confirmed on several occasions that my controller is working perfectly and has no water ingress issues.

They have concluded that they have never seen this behavior before - and that is coming from the experts in Melb as well.

They have spent countless hours and days working on it - full credit to Tom Wallace Cycles - Lutwyche. They have tried their utmost to give me a result.

The only option now is to either completely re-wire the wiring harness / new controller / new screen - $1500

Or I could buy a new EVO screen and the mounts (as they need extra brackets to suit the 2018 Quick-E+) - $450 **The service tool will never be able to connect to the motor again - no software updates / no remote analysis of the engine etc etc

So I gave the guys the go ahead on option #2 above and will just hope that the lack of any motor software updates etc will not hinder my daily commute.

They also warned me that any modification or 3rd party device (Speedbox etc) that has been added WILL NOT be covered under any warranty, and Giant will want NOTHING to do with the bike ever again - they won't even touch it!

Even if the bike had a speed module installed, I doubt it would cause a water ingress issue (that starts off like all the other water issues on the Quick-E).

So I should have an answer by Wed next week to see if the bike is again ride-able.

Apparently the older CHARGE screens have a 4-digit ODO limit on the display, and will start causing major problems when it reached 9999 (ie no speed display / no mileage / no ODO). Also it cannot be reset by the remote service tool.

The new EVO display has a 5-digit display on the ODO that will buy you another 90'000kms before you run into problems. Even after that point - it CAN at least be reset.

I will post another update when I find out ~Wed next week.

Will the phone app connect, maybe their service tool is broken. Seems strange that BT is not working on 2 screens.
This is the problem when you implement CAN BUS comms on a bike, this is not just +&- wires, the car trade took a long time to understand how to diagnose CAN signals.

Why would replacing the screen prohibit future connecting and updating? Why are you having to pay for it? Warranty has expired? Giant not covering anything?

Everything they've tried fails to connect to their BT service tool. As they've never seen any behaviour like this before, they are concluding that the customer MUST have modified the bike in some way.

The bike is 4 months out of warranty (2.4yrs old) so I am not covered for anything.

Seems a real shame that I get water ingress issues so soon after the warranty has expired. I have had it fully serviced by Giant at annual intervals and all of this happened within a few weeks of spending $450 on a whole new drive train as well as an annual service (as I was still on the original chain / chain ring / cassette since I bought it ~ 9000km's ago - not bad going!). The chain actually snapped on my morning commute....I had clearly pushed it too far ;)

So this will be an additional $450 to get the EVO screen and brackets, taking me to $900 this month just to make it rideable again.

I standby Giant, and I would probably buy another Giant E-Bike, but I don't appreciate the them shifting the blame of water ingress issues that they cannot address (at least as far as their remote service utility goes) - and saying that a possible engine modification is causing this and we don't want to know about it.

Last edited:
That tells me there's a failure in whatever component has the BT chip on it. But I don't know enough about the internals to know what that is. Could be a circuit board on the motor, or something in the controller.
Whatever it is, they should replace it, under warranty, regardless of how old. That's my opinion on it.
Hell, specialized will replace the whole bike if the frame cracks, and Giant has replaced whole motors for sensor failures, ala @PDoz

Rain Ingress (2018 Quick-E +) - Resolved :D

Some great news after over 2 weeks I finally have my bike back from Giant - all in working order !!

As posted above I opted for a new EVO screen and brackets to fit my 2018 Quick-E+. As was to be expected, they advised their BT servicetool was not able to connect to it so no updates could be done.

I rode it home happy to be reunited with my old pal, and was admiring the fancy new EVO screen (which I might add is a huge leap in technology over the old 'Charge' screen I've been riding with for the past 2.5 years).

After seeing @NeilJ 's comment about the phone app, I couldn't wait to get home and try it. So after downloading the android version I was relieved to see it connect to the bike and pick it up flawlessly.

It detected firmware updates on all 3 components: Sync Drive motor / EVO Ride Control App / Bluetooth module.

It took it's sweet time (10mins ea module), but at least showed progress as it was doing it's update.

Even more relieved was I when it confirmed all three updates completed successfully - stoked :cool:

I made a point of asking Giant about future bike commutes getting caught in the rain. They assured me that this EVO screen is up to the task and features extra rubber sleeves on the inline cable connections. I can only hope this will be the last of the rain ingress issues for a few years to come.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. It's nice to know, as much as Giant Australia swear they have NEVER seen the same issues that I had with the screen and bluetooth connectivity, that I had some re-assurance from the posts on this forum.

It is a little odd that they wouldn't have tried the phone app themselves?? I'll tell them to add it to their service remedies for future customers having similar issues.

Cheers,

Matt

Some great news after over 2 weeks I finally have my bike back from Giant - all in working order !!

As posted above I opted for a new EVO screen and brackets to fit my 2018 Quick-E+. As was to be expected, they advised their BT servicetool was not able to connect to it so no updates could be done.

I rode it home happy to be reunited with my old pal, and was admiring the fancy new EVO screen (which I might add is a huge leap in technology over the old 'Charge' screen I've been riding with for the past 2.5 years).

After seeing @NeilJ 's comment about the phone app, I couldn't wait to get home and try it. So after downloading the android version I was relieved to see it connect to the bike and pick it up flawlessly.

It detected firmware updates on all 3 components: Sync Drive motor / EVO Ride Control App / Bluetooth module.

It took it's sweet time (10mins ea module), but at least showed progress as it was doing it's update.

Even more relieved was I when it confirmed all three updates completed successfully - stoked :cool:

I made a point of asking Giant about future bike commutes getting caught in the rain. They assured me that this EVO screen is up to the task and features extra rubber sleeves on the inline cable connections. I can only hope this will be the last of the rain ingress issues for a few years to come.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. It's nice to know, as much as Giant Australia swear they have NEVER seen the same issues that I had with the screen and bluetooth connectivity, that I had some re-assurance from the posts on this forum.

It is a little odd that they wouldn't have tried the phone app themselves?? I'll tell them to add it to their service remedies for future customers having similar issues.

Cheers,

Matt
So it sounds like their service tool is broken and that their own knowledge is not so great. Glad it's fixed. I would add that the EVO screen may not be water / humidity proof as I have just fitted the second one 2 weeks ago and on the 2nd ride this week the screen was condensates. It has not rained here just 2 deg C then 10 deg daytime.

Cheers,

Matt

If nothing else, spray the screen and controller seams and cable ports with CRC 808 Silicon spray or something similar - it'll help stop water ingress. Cover your front rotor for obvious reasons.

Hi folks, I‘m brand new here and while in lockdown in New Zealand, am loving the info here.

I’m on my 2nd Giant ebike having bought a Full-E in 2018 which has been great.

I upgraded to a Trance E+ Pro on the day before lockdown and have ridden it every day since and am generally happy with it.

However the day after a wet day ride this week, I had a fault with the bike powering off. This happened many times within 30 minutes as I was heading home before it cleared enough to get home ok. I checked it later and the fault re-occurred.I pulled the battery and noticed moisture near the battery connections. So dried that off, sprayed with CRC, test rode and all seems well. The weather has been un-cooperative since to give it a decent ride to check.

Anyway, has any one else this issue ? Of course the national lockdown means I cant just drop it out to the bike shop.

Seems to me that there are way too many water issues with our Giant bikes. If we expect watches and cell phones to repel water surely we should expect electric bikes to be rain proof.

Hi folks, I‘m brand new here and while in lockdown in New Zealand, am loving the info here.

I’m on my 2nd Giant ebike having bought a Full-E in 2018 which has been great.

I upgraded to a Trance E+ Pro on the day before lockdown and have ridden it every day since and am generally happy with it.

However the day after a wet day ride this week, I had a fault with the bike powering off. This happened many times within 30 minutes as I was heading home before it cleared enough to get home ok. I checked it later and the fault re-occurred.I pulled the battery and noticed moisture near the battery connections. So dried that off, sprayed with CRC, test rode and all seems well. The weather has been un-cooperative since to give it a decent ride to check.

Anyway, has any one else this issue ? Of course the national lockdown means I cant just drop it out to the bike shop.

Seems to me that there are way too many water issues with our Giant bikes. If we expect watches and cell phones to repel water surely we should expect electric bikes to be rain proof.

Yes, plenty of folk I know have had issues with water getting into the RideControl, some have had it replaced more than once. I'd seal the seams and cable ports asap, and don't hose it down.
A friend of mine designs and builds trails for a living and has spent months on the west coast building the Paparoa Track and OGR. The contractors bought high end ebikes (several brands) to commute to the work site and they have all failed with water problems, mind you 8000mm of rain/year has that effect...

Back