Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Oh, it's a display version - yes, lots of water intrusion complaints on those. And why they went to the ride-one pad, it's waterproof. I think you can change them out.
Rubber pad and a smartphone display. Great solution. I can even keep the phone in my pocket or backpack and it collects all the ride data. 👍

Oh, it's a display version - yes, lots of water intrusion complaints on those. And why they went to the ride-one pad, it's waterproof. I think you can change them out.
Rubber pad and a smartphone display. Great solution. I can even keep the phone in my pocket or backpack and it collects all the ride data. 👍

Brownie - my bike is the rubber button pad rather than the display screen (my old bike) - which I miss the info that display provided. By the way, never an issue with water 9or anything else) with my 2018 Full E - damn good bike, only replaced because I wanted a large frame

I'm just back from my 1st ride after the power shut down occurred with no repeat issues so fingers crossed.

I found moisture down around the electrical connection after I removed the battery after the power shut down ride. Hopefully the dry off and CRC spray will be a reliable fix.

After reading about the Giant app here, I have downloaded it and its fully functional from what I see. Did you mention somewhere the walk function does/doesn't work ? Because mine doesn't - planned to return to bike shop after lockdown lifts to sort.

The latest update makes the walk function two-step. You press the walk button, the led's change, and then the + button makes it go. It was a safety update from the previous versions.

I use a phone mount and my iPhone instead of a display on the Explore. For the trance I start the ride in the app, then close the phone and put it in my pocket. Added a cycle computer for speed and distance.

ExploreE:

TranceE:

Last edited:
The latest update makes the walk function two-step. You press the walk button, the led's change, and then the + button makes it go. It was a safety update from the previous versions.

I use a phone mount and my iPhone instead of a display on the Explore. For the trance I start the ride in the app, then close the phone and put it in my pocket. Added a cycle computer for speed and distance.

ExploreE:

TranceE:
Browneye:

Your 2nd photo shows a charger cord to your iPhone. Is this connected to your bike battery? How is the USB connection protected from the elements?

Something that I would like to get installed at my LBS next time in.

Giant does not provide a port.
I drop a charge brick in my trunk bag.
I don’t ride in elements. ;)
In your part of the world weather is rarely a problem. For me it is more about cold weather. My iPhone dies quickly on the bike at 5C. At that temperature it is in my pocket. An extra battery would be very handy.

Search -- portable power bank -- on google or amazon - tons to choose from. Same technology as your ebike, but a separate auxiliary for your smartphone. And they're cheap. For me i6 plus, if you lock the screen open it really uses a lot of juice - you can use 50% of your cellphone charge in a couple of hours, it's running the gps as well as the BT data from the bike. Half the time I'll stream XM Sirius all at the same time. They warm themselves up. I call them charge bricks, we have all kinds of them - I even have a heavy duty one for starting cars or boat, bikes, whatever. Like a 15ah one with alligator clips and usb ports. For a hundred bucks or so they'll start your truck or car. LOL A smaller one for the bike is great. Just charge it when you charge your bike.

EDIT: here's a couple of 10kmah banks for $20: https://www.amazon.com/Miady-10000m...d-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=7073960011

Browneye, what is "ride-one pad"?

Actually, they call it 'RideOne Control'. Instead of a lcd display, you get a led-indicator control pad. The lights on the right indicate the charge state in five levels, and the ones in the middle indicate the assist level in five stages. The two large buttons change your assist level up and down. The 'walk button' is at the lower edge, and there's a lighting switch below the on/off button.
I have three of these - very easy to live with. If you really want a display you can connect to the bike with your smartphone.

2019-giant-trance-e-plus-pro-masonry-buttons.jpg

This pic is also up-thread here:

075.jpg

Hi Broweye
I have been looking around for more information on the Ride One control to try and figure out how reliable it is. You seem to have the most experience with them. Are there any issues? Rain?

I like the simplicity. But I would kind of like to have mileage and I do not own a cell phone. So I am stuck.
Thanks, John

I like the control pad verses an lcd screen, but surely the latter provides more information. And yes, they are more waterproof than an lcd readout screen - that seems to be a common problem with the earlier models that had them. It becomes obvious they went to a more waterproof solution. The Shimano drive unit for the mountain bikes has a tiny display about the same size, but it also has a control pad. Yamaha has a nice compact read-out that tucks in behind the handlebar. More and more, compact displays are gaining popularity, people realize they don't really need a screen, but do like to have some read-out info like speed and distance. And of course remaining battery charge level or distance. Some of the newest systems even have an 'auto-mode' that you input your distance and it will provide an assist level that will get you there. So much automation!

On our road bikes I've installed a phone mount for the smart phones to use the app, but didn't want my expensive phone perched up on the mountain bike bar - so I installed a Cateye bike computer on that one - gives me a nice compact speedo and odo. There are some very nice bike 'computers', both wired and wireless that work very well and are not very expensive, and then all the way up to a garmin gps unit if you feel like dropping some coin. The one the bike shop showed me was really nice but some $250. OUch.

Google up 'bike computer' and 'bike gps' and there are lots of results. Would be happy to help research, or maybe some readers here have used them.

It all depends on how much data you really need/want. The control pad by itself gives you your battery level and assist level, and for many that's enough. At speed you feel the assist motor back off so you know you've hit a speed of just under 20mph.

In the beginning I used my smartphone app every ride, now not so much. The wife likes it, she can see her speed and distance, but without reading glasses it's hard to see anyway. 😉

Here's the 'dash' on my mtb. I rarely ever look at it on the trail - too busy dodging obstacles!

Hi all an update on my 2019 fathom e+3. And the issues I have had. Do not hose your RIDE CONTROL ONE unit.Mine took water and the bike became unrideable. It is not waterproof. Replaced under warranty AFTER WAITING FOR THREE FECKING WEEKS. Any issues from here on I fixed myself due to GIANTS tardiness...
Creaking noises when pedalling? Motor loose in frame. Machined some .4 mm spacers to put between motor mounts and frame. Use HT cap head 8 x 70 bolts. Fixed.
Chain and deraiiler making horrid noises when I stop peddaling... Sticky freehub causing the rear sprockets to drive the front sprocket when I stopped pedalling. Stripped and lubed Freehub. Fixed.
Sharp crack sound when taking off will be frame flexing at the rear axle. Lube and tighten the bejeezus out of the skewer. Fixed.
Rapid wear on the smallest 2 sprockets rear cassette. Buy ZTTO brand sprockets ( the 2 small ones not the whole cassette ) for a couple of bucks and bugger me they last much longer than the shimanos.
Chain wear. Bought a Connex.
All good now....

I have a Explore E+1 and I too have had many issues with it. I got the bike from a dealer in Essex in March 2020 just before the lockdown, I live in Oxford.
7th April I cycled home from work in the rain, needless to say the electrics packed up. Despite all the info on here Giant, both via email and at the local dealer said they'd never heard of this happening. It took 3 weeks to fix and I got it back on 28th April. I had to pay £60 Labour as this was not covered. The new bits: thumb controller and display seem modified suggesting Giant do know about the issue.
But here's where it gets astonishing. On 8th May I went for a pootle along the Oxford canal. In a bumpy bit just north of the city the Left pedal went from secure to off in 500 yards, stripping the thread as it went because the alloy is so soft. After getting rescued when I got home I checked the pedal arm to find the bike has 2 Right crank arms fitted and 2 Right pedals fitted. Pictures supplied. I was going to fit other platform pedals to the bike too!
I have contacted Giant directly about this and apparently the bits are now on order.
But the pedal arm is some random make called SAMCX they sell at £10 an arm on the net. Not what I would expect to find on a premium brand. Because Giant only list 1 arm for the bike I am expecting another Right arm to arrive, so this process will continue to happen. It's why the Left has a Left hand thead!
I have been looking for other pedal arm makes to fit. Shimano do the FC-e6000 but they are no stock everywhere. The arms are square taper JIS fit while most other ebike makers have changed to Isis. This is old tec really.

While checking the bike over I noticed the rear light does not work. I took it off and saw it is bolted directly to the rack without a diaphragm to absorb shock. I checked supply with a volt meter. The light is an Axa Blueline 6V but the supply measured 8.86V - 10V. This over-supply and the vibration would kill most lights.
As it stands I have had the bike 2 months or 9 weeks. Of this it has spent 3 weeks at a dealer and another week broke in my garage.
These bikes are not built fit for purpose. The groupset, fork and motor are good but the bike fails with anything Giant got involved in. Their Giant ride evo app does not work, even the paint is flaking off at 2 months old!
I guess I chose wrong. There are no parts available on the net and the dealer is slow to get bits due to Giants tardy approach.
I could never recommend a Giant anything to anyone now.
20200514_085126.jpg
20200514_085139.jpg
20200514_085204.jpg

I have a Explore E+1 and I too have had many issues with it. I got the bike from a dealer in Essex in March 2020 just before the lockdown, I live in Oxford.
7th April I cycled home from work in the rain, needless to say the electrics packed up. Despite all the info on here Giant, both via email and at the local dealer said they'd never heard of this happening. It took 3 weeks to fix and I got it back on 28th April. I had to pay £60 Labour as this was not covered. The new bits: thumb controller and display seem modified suggesting Giant do know about the issue.
But here's where it gets astonishing. On 8th May I went for a pootle along the Oxford canal. In a bumpy bit just north of the city the Left pedal went from secure to off in 500 yards, stripping the thread as it went because the alloy is so soft. After getting rescued when I got home I checked the pedal arm to find the bike has 2 Right crank arms fitted and 2 Right pedals fitted. Pictures supplied. I was going to fit other platform pedals to the bike too!
I have contacted Giant directly about this and apparently the bits are now on order.
But the pedal arm is some random make called SAMCX they sell at £10 an arm on the net. Not what I would expect to find on a premium brand. Because Giant only list 1 arm for the bike I am expecting another Right arm to arrive, so this process will continue to happen. It's why the Left has a Left hand thead!
I have been looking for other pedal arm makes to fit. Shimano do the FC-e6000 but they are no stock everywhere. The arms are square taper JIS fit while most other ebike makers have changed to Isis. This is old tec really.

While checking the bike over I noticed the rear light does not work. I took it off and saw it is bolted directly to the rack without a diaphragm to absorb shock. I checked supply with a volt meter. The light is an Axa Blueline 6V but the supply measured 8.86V - 10V. This over-supply and the vibration would kill most lights.
As it stands I have had the bike 2 months or 9 weeks. Of this it has spent 3 weeks at a dealer and another week broke in my garage.
These bikes are not built fit for purpose. The groupset, fork and motor are good but the bike fails with anything Giant got involved in. Their Giant ride evo app does not work, even the paint is flaking off at 2 months old!
I guess I chose wrong. There are no parts available on the net and the dealer is slow to get bits due to Giants tardy approach.
I could never recommend a Giant anything to anyone now.View attachment 52367View attachment 52368View attachment 52369

That's sucks, I'd be fuming if I had your experience. Thank you for sharing and documenting the issues. Fellow Explore E+1 owner, bought around the same time with 700km of (dry) riding. Fortunately mine hasn't missed a beat but I do intend to commute in the rain. The Australian models seem to come with different pedals - Wellgo M149s. Does UK consumer law provide any avenue for exchange or refund?

Those two pedals are L&R threaded? Sounds and looks like your dealer is a complete idiot. I'd say they swapped out a crank arm off your bike for another customer and received the wrong replacement from Giant and fitted it anyway. The Nukeproof and Giant pedals don't even match. Did you buy it like that?

That's sucks, I'd be fuming if I had your experience. Thank you for sharing and documenting the issues. Fellow Explore E+1 owner, bought around the same time with 700km of (dry) riding. Fortunately mine hasn't missed a beat but I do intend to commute in the rain. The Australian models seem to come with different pedals - Wellgo M149s. Does UK consumer law provide any avenue for exchange or refund?
That I think is an avenue I am going to have to explore. Giant dealers are hampered by the parts department. The man I spoke to said the pedal arm is coming from europe so will be a week just to get to the dealer!

Those two pedals are L&R threaded? Sounds and looks like your dealer is a complete idiot. I'd say they swapped out a crank arm off your bike for another customer and received the wrong replacement from Giant and fitted it anyway. The Nukeproof and Giant pedals don't even match. Did you buy it like that?
Hi, The pedal on the top is a L pedal not from the bike. Its a SAM HILL platform pedal. The one underneath is from the bike. Can you see the threads are different. The SAM HILL pedal is LH thread and marked L, the Giant pedal is RH or normal thread. The pic with the Pedal arm showing it is RH has the other giant pedal and arm in the background still attached to the bike. I did ask the dealer if they removed the pedals when fixing the electrical issue as the receipt states it had a new motor. They said it's a standard receipt and they never touched the pedals. I hope this makes the pics a bit clearer. Proper poop!

Back