Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Sounds like your shop kinda sucks, because thats an easy fix. Clamp on/braze on chain guides (which is all that came on my Revolt and what you ended up installing) are available from several mfgs and a 2 minute install. The Giant one is probably a rebranded problem solvers or something.
It is an easy fix if ready made parts are available for it. The one that's installed on Revolt is braze on like you said, which means there should be screw holes for mounting in precise location on the bike and my Roam E+ doesn't have it.

The one I installed is a universal one that required several adjustment attempt to make it fit well without rubbing against things too much. It works, but it's not an ideal solution either.

I was going to purchase a road bike from Giant but after my experience with Roam E+, I went with something else.

Anyway, I'm much happier that my bike is mostly trouble free now - from mechanical standpoint. Besides the chain drops, the stock tires were prone to punctures - ended up replacing them with Schwalbees.

It took me a great effort to find something that worked for me. This isn't like something that's readily available even at Giant's store. I took my bike in a few times for this issue already since they wanted to take a look, every time they said it's taken care of, I was able to take the chain off minutes later just by going over the speed bump in their parking lot. I showed them how it happens, they wouldn't care. All they claim is it's normal. How is it normal if I cannot ride the bike without the chain coming off almost every ride?

If there *was* a simple and cheap solution readily available, I would've been very happy.
This might be a silly question, but what sort of trousers do you wear when riding your bike?
There has to be a reason why your chain keeps coming off. Is the derailleur putting the correct tension on the chain? (You said the chain comes off mostly in the higher gears, or small cogs where the tension is lower).
I am sorry you're having this trouble, it must be really frustrating for you.
IT IS NOT NORMAL for a bike to do this.

This might be a silly question, but what sort of trousers do you wear when riding your bike?
There has to be a reason why your chain keeps coming off. Is the derailleur putting the correct tension on the chain? (You said the chain comes off mostly in the higher gears, or small cogs where the tension is lower).
I am sorry you're having this trouble, it must be really frustrating for you.
IT IS NOT NORMAL for a bike to do this.
I was wearing shorts or running pants. The reason the chain coming off is clear, it's just that the design is not preventing it under normal riding conditions. I'm not riding on a rough terrain when this happens, just some bumps that could be anywhere. As a matter of fact, when I ride in off road trails, this rarely happens since I'd be in low gears. It usually happens during my commute ride which is why it was driving me nuts.

This happening was frustrating but Giant's response and their service was much worse on this issue. I gave up and found my own solution as you can see.

Yep, never heard of chains falling off, and it never happened on either of our bikes, hundreds of miles. [shrug]
Now both are sold - the MTB's do have chain-ring guides.

It is an easy fix if ready made parts are available for it. The one that's installed on Revolt is braze on like you said, which means there should be screw holes for mounting in precise location on the bike and my Roam E+ doesn't have it.

The one I installed is a universal one that required several adjustment attempt to make it fit well without rubbing against things too much. It works, but it's not an ideal solution either.

I suspect your problem is they are generally designed to work with just a chainring, and you kinda squeezed it over that outer chainring guard/bashring too so needed a wider one. If you want to keep a bashring on the outside of the chainring, one of those little nubby guards like the deda dog fang might work better. Or a braze on clamp adapter and something like the K-Edge chain catcher.

Otherwise a braze on and clamp on work pretty much the same. Unless the Roam has a weird seat tube diameter or something, most any clamp on guide should work. Clamp on, adjust until its centered over the chain, tighten down, done. The braze on ones still need to be adjusted.

I kinda wonder if there is something else going on (bent chainring tooth, pannier bouncing on the chain, etc) thats causing the issue. You shouldn't need a guide on a bike like that. Shop definitely dropped the ball by not really looking into it or just offering a cheap solution.

Hi, I am from Dublin Ireland bought a Giant Quick e+ to commute into work. I am riding this bike for a few days now no problem. But this morning it wouldn't power on when I press the on button the display shows the Giant logo for a few seconds and it goes to black again. Battery is full charged as I check this on the battery pack it self. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

Rain
Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my Giant. May I ask how you solved the issue? Best Chris

Trek has the Bosch assist motor - its own set of problems.
The truth is, the Yamaha drive is THE most reliable system in the industry, hands down. And gee, Giant sells frames to Trek. Go figure eh.

You pays your monies and you takes your chances. LOL Pick yer poison.

I have owned E-bikes since 2016. I currently have had 7 e-bikes and currently have 4 of them: My wife rides the Giant QuickE almost everyday and I ride the Gazelle Ultimate T10+. I also ride my Giant Explore's on occasion. Here are my two cents. I had severe power problems with the Giant Explore E+ to the point of having it in the shop with power issues from the second day of my purchase I would intermittently shut down and everything was replaced but the motor. Giant finally bought the bike back from me after one year of these problems. My other Giant's are not bad, but not as bullet-proof as the Gazelle. The Dutch ride bikes continually and think about making it easier to service and convenient. In addition, I have two 500 Watt batteries on my Gazelle and it reduces my range anxiety. The down side is that with the Gazelle is $600.00 more expensive than the Giant Explore E+. The Gazelle has room for two batteries, better shocks. built in shocks and I love the Bosch drive. My display is simple, but I like it. Many companies have he Bosch drive so I take it to a local Trek dealer. Giant's customer support was not that helpful. It was only when I went to a senior executive in Giant that I got the help. The dealer that services my bike now sells Gazelle. If you do not have the money, then buy a Giant. I suggest you save your money and get a Gazelle. I have ridden my Gazelle over 2000 miles with 0 problems. I added the extra battery and it is incredible.

I have owned E-bikes since 2016. I currently have had 7 e-bikes and currently have 4 of them: My wife rides the Giant QuickE almost everyday and I ride the Gazelle Ultimate T10+. I also ride my Giant Explore's on occasion. Here are my two cents. I had severe power problems with the Giant Explore E+ to the point of having it in the shop with power issues from the second day of my purchase I would intermittently shut down and everything was replaced but the motor. Giant finally bought the bike back from me after one year of these problems. My other Giant's are not bad, but not as bullet-proof as the Gazelle. The Dutch ride bikes continually and think about making it easier to service and convenient. In addition, I have two 500 Watt batteries on my Gazelle and it reduces my range anxiety. The down side is that with the Gazelle is $600.00 more expensive than the Giant Explore E+. The Gazelle has room for two batteries, better shocks. built in shocks and I love the Bosch drive. My display is simple, but I like it. Many companies have he Bosch drive so I take it to a local Trek dealer. Giant's customer support was not that helpful. It was only when I went to a senior executive in Giant that I got the help. The dealer that services my bike now sells Gazelle. If you do not have the money, then buy a Giant. I suggest you save your money and get a Gazelle. I have ridden my Gazelle over 2000 miles with 0 problems. I added the extra battery and it is incredible.
This make sense. I have a dealer fairly close and will make an appointment. Do you ever travel with your Gazelle on a external rack? Does it need to be waterproofed

This make sense. I have a dealer fairly close and will make an appointment. Do you ever travel with your Gazelle on a external rack? Does it need to be waterproofed
I bought a used Honda Element and transport my bikes in my SUV.. It works perfectly! I can comfortable put two E-Bikes in my SUV.

I bought a Giant Talon E bike last month. I downloaded the ride control app and after a couple of rides I got an update. once it updated the bike firmware I can't turn on the bike without removing the battery. I'm working with my dealer and now that it got cold I dropped it off and they are doing the dance with Giant. Seems they are dealing with the responsiveness or lack of that I'm reading in all the posts. But so far the dealer has been ok to deal with. My question is, I'm seeing people have issues with the bike shutting off. Anyone seeing the issue I'm having? where the update broke the controller that it won't turn on without resetting the battery?

I bought a Giant Talon E bike last month. I downloaded the ride control app and after a couple of rides I got an update. once it updated the bike firmware I can't turn on the bike without removing the battery. I'm working with my dealer and now that it got cold I dropped it off and they are doing the dance with Giant. Seems they are dealing with the responsiveness or lack of that I'm reading in all the posts. But so far the dealer has been ok to deal with. My question is, I'm seeing people have issues with the bike shutting off. Anyone seeing the issue I'm having? where the update broke the controller that it won't turn on without resetting the battery?
Same bike, same problem. The dealer is getting the runaround from Giant.

Same bike, same problem. The dealer is getting the runaround from Giant.
I heard from the dealer who heard from Giant. Apparently it's a known issue. They are sending him a new chip. They said if he does the firmware update on the Giant diagnostic device instead of the ridecontrol phone app, that will work. I'll let you know.

Back