Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Latest update - my bike is fixed, the problem was the "Smart Gateway" being not so smart and after replacing it, all is well again - they didnt know why it failed, just wanted to update everyone - thanks for the comments
What's a Smart Gateway? Do our bikes have routers?

Latest update - my bike is fixed, the problem was the "Smart Gateway" being not so smart and after replacing it, all is well again - they didnt know why it failed, just wanted to update everyone - thanks for the comments
I wondered what the hell the "Smart Gateway" was.... So I went looking. It appears that the Smart Gateway is the name of the new interface for the RideControl ONEl units.

From a German website:
Giant and Liv have just presented their new models for the 2021 season. The displays and control units of the engines have always been important elements of bikes. So that they don't get lost in the mass of news, you can find out everything you need to know here.

Because in 2021 a new term will appear in the cosmos of Giant and Liv. This is called Smart Gateway. Behind this is a newly developed communication interface. The flow of information to and from the drive will therefore follow a new path for numerous models in the future. To a certain extent, Smart Gateway replaces RideControl Remote as the primary switching point for the electric drive.

Interface designed as an independent module
Until now, the interface was part of the control units or displays. From now on you will find it as a separate module at the level of the left engine cover. Far-reaching changes are linked to the new name. The interface uses new firmware and modified cable management. As a result, it is not compatible with e-bikes from model year 2020 or older models. The same applies to e-bikes for the 2021 season that do not have a Smart Gateway.

The system processes signals via Bluetooth - for communication with the app and the service tool - as well as via ANT + for exchange with mobile devices, computers, Giant Bike computers, Garmin, Wahoo, etc. You can recognize all components of Smart Gateway by the addition " SG ".

Smart Gateway: the advantages
Admittedly, the lack of backward compatibility somewhat tarnishes the joy of the interface. Nevertheless, it has decisive advantages. RideControl control units and RideDash displays will soon be easy to change without additional firmware updates. In addition, the control units and displays have become more robust. All Smart Gateway components are compatible with one another and can be expanded. If you want, you can soon add the RideDash EVO display on the handlebar to a RideControl Ergo control unit.

Attachments

• SG10Y-4873200.pdf
    981.7 KB · Views: 359
I wondered what the hell the "Smart Gateway" was.... So I went looking. It appears that the Smart Gateway is the name of the new interface for the RideControl ONEl units.

From a German website:
Giant and Liv have just presented their new models for the 2021 season. The displays and control units of the engines have always been important elements of bikes. So that they don't get lost in the mass of news, you can find out everything you need to know here.

Because in 2021 a new term will appear in the cosmos of Giant and Liv. This is called Smart Gateway. Behind this is a newly developed communication interface. The flow of information to and from the drive will therefore follow a new path for numerous models in the future. To a certain extent, Smart Gateway replaces RideControl Remote as the primary switching point for the electric drive.

Interface designed as an independent module
Until now, the interface was part of the control units or displays. From now on you will find it as a separate module at the level of the left engine cover. Far-reaching changes are linked to the new name. The interface uses new firmware and modified cable management. As a result, it is not compatible with e-bikes from model year 2020 or older models. The same applies to e-bikes for the 2021 season that do not have a Smart Gateway.

The system processes signals via Bluetooth - for communication with the app and the service tool - as well as via ANT + for exchange with mobile devices, computers, Giant Bike computers, Garmin, Wahoo, etc. You can recognize all components of Smart Gateway by the addition " SG ".

Smart Gateway: the advantages
Admittedly, the lack of backward compatibility somewhat tarnishes the joy of the interface. Nevertheless, it has decisive advantages. RideControl control units and RideDash displays will soon be easy to change without additional firmware updates. In addition, the control units and displays have become more robust. All Smart Gateway components are compatible with one another and can be expanded. If you want, you can soon add the RideDash EVO display on the handlebar to a RideControl Ergo control unit.
Thanks. Just what we need - another unreliable (sample measure of 1) electronic single point of failure.

I bought two Explore E+1 Pro Giant bikes. Both have been having intermittent charging issues since we bought them. The charging block goes through the process and has the proper lights to make me believe it is charging, yet it doesn't. I have also taken the battery out and tried to charge it separate from the bike with no success. The worst part about it is the screen goes black as soon it is hooked up to the charger, so I have no idea if it is charging until I unhook it to look and see if the battery has increased. Sadly, there have been times that I unplugged it to check if it was charging and even though it was charging before I checked it, it didn't charge after I plugged it back in!!!!!
I don't know of any product where the screen goes black and there is no way to find out what the charge level is until you unplug it. Seriously WTF? The local dealer I bought it from said there is a known issue with the battery, but I have not heard back from them since early June. The bike is registered, but Giant has not gotten ahold of me. Does anyone know anything about this or can lead me down the right path to get this working?
I also have two Explore E+1 Pro bikes and have had no issues so far charging the batteries off the bikes. I I find it easier to remove the batteries so have not tried charging on the bikes. The fact that both your bikes have a charging problem makes me think the charger is bad and not necessarily the bikes or batteries. Does your LBS not have another charger for you to try to see if it is maybe the charger?

I bought two Explore E+1 Pro Giant bikes. Both have been having intermittent charging issues since we bought them. The charging block goes through the process and has the proper lights to make me believe it is charging, yet it doesn't. I have also taken the battery out and tried to charge it separate from the bike with no success. The worst part about it is the screen goes black as soon it is hooked up to the charger, so I have no idea if it is charging until I unhook it to look and see if the battery has increased. Sadly, there have been times that I unplugged it to check if it was charging and even though it was charging before I checked it, it didn't charge after I plugged it back in!!!!!
I don't know of any product where the screen goes black and there is no way to find out what the charge level is until you unplug it. Seriously WTF? The local dealer I bought it from said there is a known issue with the battery, but I have not heard back from them since early June. The bike is registered, but Giant has not gotten ahold of me. Does anyone know anything about this or can lead me down the right path to get this working?

Great to here! often times people don't tell what happen in the end(kinda like the news) glad it was fairly quick.

My 2017 Giant Quick E+ has an issue with not powering off ? it happened 2 months ago as well and at the time Giant store said it was a code issue on the battery and bring it in a swap the battery with new coded one
Has any one else had this issue?
I have the complete opposite issue.
my revoltE+ 2020 model started to get the power OFF just out of the blue. Within the first two months and less than 500 km (300 miles) it started to have this horrible issue. Horrible for a bike to cut off the power by surprise in some moments when I would least expect, like when you need to pedal strong for passing faster a very busy crossroad. It’s even dangerous.
i brought it back to the shop and they tried… I don’t know what. But nothing got fixed for real. Before the warranty went off this incident would happen once in a couple of kilometres. Totally random. At times it would cut the power off like 3 times a kilometre. Other times it would work great for 30 km or 50.
now, 3 months after the warranty went by, the cutting off just happens 3-5 times every kilometre. Engine is Yamaha.
anyway. That’s my story.

I have the complete opposite issue.
my revoltE+ 2020 model started to get the power OFF just out of the blue. Within the first two months and less than 500 km (300 miles) it started to have this horrible issue. Horrible for a bike to cut off the power by surprise in some moments when I would least expect, like when you need to pedal strong for passing faster a very busy crossroad. It’s even dangerous.
i brought it back to the shop and they tried… I don’t know what. But nothing got fixed for real. Before the warranty went off this incident would happen once in a couple of kilometres. Totally random. At times it would cut the power off like 3 times a kilometre. Other times it would work great for 30 km or 50.
now, 3 months after the warranty went by, the cutting off just happens 3-5 times every kilometre. Engine is Yamaha.
anyway. That’s my story.
Sorry to hear you are having this problem. There appears to be a number of reasons for this "sudden off" issue and solutions range from simply reseating the battery through to replacing the RideControl One switch module or motor. I've collated some info and questions from a few posts related to this which may help as some analysis of the problem may help determine what is at fault:

1. If it is related to high temperature or a high current demand and is possibly a battery issue then try and let it sit after it has occurred let the battery cool for a period and see if switches off again, when you restart, if it is all OK and only occurs after riding hard then this adds to the picture.

2. Creating a picture of the pattern of occurrence may help. Does it happen only after a period or from the beginning of a ride for example? If this happens and you switch it on and it switches off again say every 10 seconds, then it is hardly related to battery contacts. Does it switch off without moving or after you started riding again? Motor or RideControl One likely then. If it was after pedalling again then the problem is possibly the battery controller. If you were not pedaling, then yes, it can be related to battery contacts or battery movement.

3. If the fault is related to battery position or contact then the it is likely that the fault would occur particularly when riding on rough terrain. There are numerous posts on forums for battery tightness in the frame or alignment of the contacts. Giant have a shim for the battery contact plate that may be worth fitting if this is an issue and there are a number of posts on adjusting the lock latch to provide a tighter fit and improved alignment. Have you cleaned the battery contacts, a number of OP's who have suffered this issue report that cleaning the contacts on the frame and battery and applying a electrical enhancer fixes the issue.

4. A software issue, when this occurs have you removed and then refitted the battery, effectively completely reseting the bikes power. When this occurs do you get any error codes?

If the bike is out of warranty then you will need to do some of the leg work yourself, can you swap the battery with a friend? RideControl One modules are available and not too expensive, again can you swap with a friend.

I hope this helps, come back with any other information you have.

Attachments

• MY19 Integrated battery connector Spacer SOP 20190131.pdf
    861.4 KB · Views: 415
I'm having the same issues with my 2020 Revolt E+ Pro Gravel Bike. The RideControlEVO (power source) will quit without any warning. It seems to occur more often after riding with the power assist on OFF and then within a few minutes the entire unit turns itself off. This has been occurring in ideal conditions with a smooth road, no rain and mild temperatures. I've checked and cleaned the battery connectors as well as ensuring the battery is not loose or rattling around. The bike was just assessed by the dealer and the electronic system scanned for problems about 600 miles ago - with a "clean bill of health"
What gives?

I'm having the same issues with my 2020 Revolt E+ Pro Gravel Bike. The RideControlEVO (power source) will quit without any warning. It seems to occur more often after riding with the power assist on OFF and then within a few minutes the entire unit turns itself off. This has been occurring in ideal conditions with a smooth road, no rain and mild temperatures. I've checked and cleaned the battery connectors as well as ensuring the battery is not loose or rattling around. The bike was just assessed by the dealer and the electronic system scanned for problems about 600 miles ago - with a "clean bill of health"
What gives?
We are having a similar problem with my wife's 2021 Revolt E+ Pro. We got caught out on a ride and after repeatedly turning it back on, it eventually wouldn't power on at all. I took it to the bike shop and as luck would have it, it powered up just fine at the shop. They kept it a few weeks (yes weeks) and were unable to recreate the problem. They did update to the latest firmware and opened a case with Giant. It happened again this past weekend, but this time the control pad (button panel) middle horizontal LED flashed red when she tried to power it back on. Fortunately it came back on and remained so for the duration of the ride. I called the shop to inform them that now the control pad LED is flashing red during the problem, but I don't hold out much hope this will help. It's a shame as the bikes fit our needs, and they weren't inexpensive by my standards. Honestly I am losing confidence in Giant and my local bike shop.

We are having a similar problem with my wife's 2021 Revolt E+ Pro. We got caught out on a ride and after repeatedly turning it back on, it eventually wouldn't power on at all. I took it to the bike shop and as luck would have it, it powered up just fine at the shop. They kept it a few weeks (yes weeks) and were unable to recreate the problem. They did update to the latest firmware and opened a case with Giant. It happened again this past weekend, but this time the control pad (button panel) middle horizontal LED flashed red when she tried to power it back on. Fortunately it came back on and remained so for the duration of the ride. I called the shop to inform them that now the control pad LED is flashing red during the problem, but I don't hold out much hope this will help. It's a shame as the bikes fit our needs, and they weren't inexpensive by my standards. Honestly I am losing confidence in Giant and my local bike shop.
The flashing red LED and associated Assist Level white LED are displaying a fault code that will assist in diagnostics. See the attached picture. The dealer service tool should be able to give them more detailed information. Unfortunately as is usually the way it is clear that historical faults are not written to NVM and a power reset is clearing the fault. Basically the faults needs to happen when they can connect the dealer Service Tool.
RideControl One Error Codes.jpg

The flashing red LED and associated Assist Level white LED are displaying a fault code that will assist in diagnostics. See the attached picture. The dealer service tool should be able to give them more detailed information. Unfortunately as is usually the way it is clear that historical faults are not written to NVM and a power reset is clearing the fault. Basically the faults needs to happen when they can connect the dealer Service Tool.
Thanks, that information should be helpful. I will have her watch for the other LEDs when it happens again.

--
bstaggs

Last edited:
Guys,

I bought a Giant Explore + in September 2020. The bike shuts off unexpectedly time after time. I have taken into the Giant shop six times and have shims, wiring harness and more replaced. I just got it back from the shop and lo and behold it started to do it again. I rode the bike at night and then again this morning. It shut off again after about 10 miles. It turns on and then shuts off after a few minutes. I have ridden my bike less than 1/2 the time I have had it. I love the look of the bike and when it runs it is perfect. Any suggestions? Update: (Giant refunded my money last week. The only part they did not replace was the motor.)

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't help much other than to sympathize with you. My wife's Revolt E+ Pro is currently in the shop waiting on a "wiring harness" that Giant believes to be the problem. Thus far (800+ miles) my 2020 Revolt has been flawless, but my wife's 2021 has been in the shop multiple times for the "powering off" issue, without resolution. I was hopeful this would be it, so I was somewhat disappointed to hear a wiring harness did not resolve your issue. I will post an update when we've tested it.

Guys,

I bought a Giant Explore + in September 2020. The bike shuts off unexpectedly time after time. I have taken into the Giant shop six times and have shims, wiring harness and more replaced. I just got it back from the shop and lo and behold it started to do it again. I rode the bike at night and then again this morning. It shut off again after about 10 miles. It turns on and then shuts off after a few minutes. I have ridden my bike less than 1/2 the time I have had it. I love the look of the bike and when it runs it is perfect. Any suggestions?
I had a similar issue with my 2021 Stance E+2.
Giant replaced it and all is well after 1500kms

I'm afraid I can't help much other than to sympathize with you. My wife's Revolt E+ Pro is currently in the shop waiting on a "wiring harness" that Giant believes to be the problem. Thus far (800+ miles) my 2020 Revolt has been flawless, but my wife's 2021 has been in the shop multiple times for the "powering off" issue, without resolution. I was hopeful this would be it, so I was somewhat disappointed to hear a wiring harness did not resolve your issue. I will post an update when we've tested it.
I think the best idea is to get them to replace the bike. I bought mine when they came out in 2020. I started having the issue two days after I bought it.

Replaced the whole bike? Nice PRS's by the way.
Well they put my original seat and seatpost, handlebars, grips, and wheels/tires on the new bike. Fair enough.
Also gave me the new battery as well. It has been flawless.
They had tried shimming the battery connector, replacing the Ride One controller, and the wiring harness to no avail. The manager of the LBS offered the new bike before I even asked for it. Down time was maybe 2 weeks.

Back