Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I heard from the dealer who heard from Giant. Apparently it's a known issue. They are sending him a new chip. They said if he does the firmware update on the Giant diagnostic device instead of the ridecontrol phone app, that will work. I'll let you know.
Yeah when this first happened my dealer told me not to use the app to update through the app. there are a bunch known issues. when i dropped it off last week the dealer said Giant was telling him to swap the battery which he didn't think would fix it. haven't talk to them since. ill call today for an update.

I heard from the dealer who heard from Giant. Apparently it's a known issue. They are sending him a new chip. They said if he does the firmware update on the Giant diagnostic device instead of the ridecontrol phone app, that will work. I'll let you know.
I got my bike back. Bike Depot in Phoenix put the new chip in and updated the firmware with the official Giant diagnostic tool. The controller cycles off an on with no problems. I do not plan to use the app anymore. I like trailforks. It doesn't connect to the controller but it also won't brick my bike. If you're looking for a Giant dealer in the Phoenix area I highly recommend Braxton at Bicycle Depot. This may be the best customer service I've ever had. The shop came highly recommended by my son so I drive an hour and a half one way for their service.

I got my bike back. Bike Depot in Phoenix put the new chip in and updated the firmware with the official Giant diagnostic tool. The controller cycles off an on with no problems. I do not plan to use the app anymore. I like trailforks. It doesn't connect to the controller but it also won't brick my bike. If you're looking for a Giant dealer in the Phoenix area I highly recommend Braxton at Bicycle Depot. This may be the best customer service I've ever had. The shop came highly recommended by my son so I drive an hour and a half one way for their service.
I got my bike back Tuesday. Same thing. Seems Giant released a new update of firmware to fix it. There is another one coming for the battery firmware. But I have to wait. seems its dependent on the battery age. But yes...DO NOT USE the app to update. I do like the app for general use but seems very buggy for even for that. Thanks for the tip on trailforks ill take a look. my dealer recommended strata but its only a free trial. then you pay. And thanks for the shout to your dealer. I'm in PA. Shout out to Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown. They did a good job pitbulling Giant on the issue. Good to find a reputable local company to deal with in this day and age.

H, I am a newby from South Africa, riding a Stance E + 1 Pro.
I live in a country with very high crime rate, my vehicle was stolen from my property a while back and my dilemma is that my battery keys were in my vehicle at the time. I have contacted my local dealer regarding this and the answer is to get a locksmith to assist.
Any recommendation on how to obtain a spare key will be appreciated.

I live in a country with very high crime rate, my vehicle was stolen from my property a while back and my dilemma is that my battery keys were in my vehicle at the time. I have contacted my local dealer regarding this and the answer is to get a locksmith to assist.
The Stance keys use an ABUS T82 key blank, unfortunately unless you have the key serial number you will need to get a locksmith involved. If you have the key number tag that comes with the original key serial number (it will have a number like "4966") then you can order one online. You can use someone like www.replacementkeys.co.uk and order a replacement. Perhaps your Giant Dealer put the serial number in your Owners Manual or kept a record for your bike?

I went into the shop a week ago for a chat and they told me that they still hadn't heard anything back from Giant.
They can't get past the switchboard, which instructs them to leave a message and then follow it up with an email to confirm that they left a message. Sigh....

As for the bike, it still will not stay powered on. The initial "Giant" screen comes up for about a second and then goes away.
The battery is showing itself as fully charged, so who knows.
But here I am at 5 weeks without a bike......sad.
@skytech . /any outcome on this?

Got a weird electrical issue (Stance E+1 Pro 2021 - bought it 3 months ago) it was turning on but stuck in level 4 (too easy) - once on, couldn't turn it off, or change level, or walk mode, until it timed out. Took it to the Giant dealer, he suspected the RideControl One unit, so he took a new one off another Stance in the shop and tried it on mine - it worked briefly. Then nothing, wouldn't power on at all, nothing - tried my original RideControl unit and that was also dead. Tried the new unit back on the showroom bike and thats dead also - now 2 bikes totally dead !!! - anyone else had issues like this??
My Giant Quick E bike wont stay on. Press the power button and the screen lights up - no error codes and as soon as I release the on button it turns off.

My Giant Quick E bike wont stay on. Press the power button and the screen lights up - no error codes and as soon as I release the on button it turns off. Did it when I first had it 2 years ago and the dealer who sold it - not Giant dealer fixed it. 12 months later it did it again. Have had it back to 2 Giant dealers - claim to have changed the controller, display and motor and cannot get it to go. Didnt charge me but blamed the speed chip which was there when I brought it. But now I have an expensive bike that doesnt work.

My Giant Quick E bike wont stay on. Press the power button and the screen lights up - no error codes and as soon as I release the on button it turns off. Did it when I first had it 2 years ago and the dealer who sold it - not Giant dealer fixed it. 12 months later it did it again. Have had it back to 2 Giant dealers - claim to have changed the controller, display and motor and cannot get it to go. Didnt charge me but blamed the speed chip which was there when I brought it. But now I have an expensive bike that doesnt work.
Maybe try a different battery?

You have my sympathies WAGiantUser.

My tale of woe. Back in late July I was riding when I experienced the dreaded sudden off! The RideControl suddenly switched itself off, no lights. I removed the battery and refitted it numerous times, no improvement.

Giant replaced the RideControl under warranty. After collecting the bike and while I was prepping it for its first ride in the garage on the workstand another sudden off - again no lights, no fault codes. Battery removed and refitted, no improvement. I replaced the battery with a new 800Wh battery that I had just purchased and not yet tried, same fault so not battery related.

Different batteries made no difference so it didn't look like that, RideControl replaced so it wasn't that, I took off the lower cover and pulled apart all the connectors, dry, clean, and no corrosion so not that. Bike returned to Giant.

This time they discovered that the Motor to Battery Cable had a fault, another couple of weeks wait for a replacement part and fit. Specifically they said that the fault appears to be in the back of the battery connector where the wires enter the battery terminal fitting, it appears that it is not uncommon for moisture to penetrate this area and corrosion to form.

I had hoped that this was the end but it was not to be... after 250 trouble-free kilometres the "sudden off" reoccurred. The bike went back to Giant and the motor has now been replaced.

I've now covered 500km with no issues. Fortunately on the last occasion it turned itself into a hard fault so the Giant shop stripped a new Stance they had on the floor and swapped items one at a time until they got to the motor. I'm hoping that this has finally solved the issue, if nothing else the bike is practically new electrically with only the charging point and loom and the rear wheel speed sensor remaining from original. Again Giant have been fantastic about solving the problem.

You have my sympathies WAGiantUser.

My tale of woe. Back in late July I was riding when I experienced the dreaded sudden off! The RideControl suddenly switched itself off, no lights. I removed the battery and refitted it numerous times, no improvement.

Giant replaced the RideControl under warranty. After collecting the bike and while I was prepping it for its first ride in the garage on the workstand another sudden off - again no lights, no fault codes. Battery removed and refitted, no improvement. I replaced the battery with a new 800Wh battery that I had just purchased and not yet tried, same fault so not battery related.

Different batteries made no difference so it didn't look like that, RideControl replaced so it wasn't that, I took off the lower cover and pulled apart all the connectors, dry, clean, and no corrosion so not that. Bike returned to Giant.

This time they discovered that the Motor to Battery Cable had a fault, another couple of weeks wait for a replacement part and fit. Specifically they said that the fault appears to be in the back of the battery connector where the wires enter the battery terminal fitting, it appears that it is not uncommon for moisture to penetrate this area and corrosion to form.

I had hoped that this was the end but it was not to be... after 250 trouble-free kilometres the "sudden off" reoccurred. The bike went back to Giant and the motor has now been replaced.

I've now covered 500km with no issues. Fortunately on the last occasion it turned itself into a hard fault so the Giant shop stripped a new Stance they had on the floor and swapped items one at a time until they got to the motor. I'm hoping that this has finally solved the issue, if nothing else the bike is practically new electrically with only the charging point and loom and the rear wheel speed sensor remaining from original. Again Giant have been fantastic about solving the problem.
My dealer has been great as well.

I have a Giant Fastroad EX Pro purchased new in 2022. I also had to deal with the dreaded sudden shutoff. To me, this is an obvious issue with Giant electrical systems and the battery management engineering. Supposedly a firmware upgrade fixed the issue, as stated by my LBS. What has worked for me, when it was occurring early on in ownership (first 500 miles) was to reseat the battery after it shutoff. That seemed to do the trick, because after the 1st 500 miles, it has only shutoff once while riding the last 500 miles. It is a problem though, because as expensive as these bikes are, this should not be an issue the consumer has to deal with. I own a Trek 8s and Specialized Vado 4, and shutoffs while riding NEVER occur. Both of those bikes have more than 2000 miles on them apiece. In addition, I have also noticed with the Fastroad, that on almost every attempted battery recharge, it stops charging at around 94%. I end up unplugging the power cord, and plugging it in again. In some ways, I think that this is just the quirks with Giant at this juncture. Currently looking to replace the Fastroad with a Specialized Vado 5.

In addition, I would like to add, that I owned a Giant Roam and Giant Explorer E+4, and never had any issues with sudden shutdowns or charging problems. Zero issues with those ebikes.

This thread has been very useful to me. I accidentally got water in my Ridecontrol Evo and the bike wouldn't switch on. I was hoping a few days in the sun would dry it out, to no avail.

I bought a Ridecontrol Ergo and fitted it and the bike works fine again. I'm so relieved, I was almost in tears last week when I realised what
I had done. I love my 2019 Quick E+. I've done over 12,000km on it.

Not really missing the Evo display as I have a Badass box so the information it gave wasn't very useful. I have a Wahoo ELEMNT mini for all the useful information - speed, distance, time etc...

Thanks everyone for all the help here, been very useful. I have a problem I couldn't find mentioned:
2017 Giant EQuick. I got a speed sensor error. Magnet was not the issue, ordered a OEM speed sensor (thanks to this forum!) and replaced it. However this didn't solve the problem. FLB diagnosed with Giant who said because there wasn't conductivity between speed sensor and motor, it was a motor issue and motor would need replacement ($700USD!)
I'm wondering if anyone has ever run into this and solved it? Wondering if it's possible to circumvent the speed sensor. I can feel the motor working before it realizes the speed sensor is broken, but then it stops when it realizes the speed sensor is dead.

You may be able to drill out the lock. Watch some YouTube videos. It will render it unusable, but it will at least allow you to unlcok the battery.

Thanks everyone for all the help here, been very useful. I have a problem I couldn't find mentioned:
2017 Giant EQuick. I got a speed sensor error. Magnet was not the issue, ordered a OEM speed sensor (thanks to this forum!) and replaced it. However this didn't solve the problem. FLB diagnosed with Giant who said because there wasn't conductivity between speed sensor and motor, it was a motor issue and motor would need replacement ($700USD!)
I'm wondering if anyone has ever run into this and solved it? Wondering if it's possible to circumvent the speed sensor. I can feel the motor working before it realizes the speed sensor is broken, but then it stops when it realizes the speed sensor is dead.

I would search out a yamaha tech and have it repaired. Likely just a wire or something. Seven grand for a motor is ridiculous. Or search out a used motor on ebay or something.

I would search out a yamaha tech and have it repaired. Likely just a wire or something. Seven grand for a motor is ridiculous. Or search out a used motor on ebay or something.
Good suggestions. Yamaha techs like at a motorcycle shop?

$7,000 for the motor is crazy. I have a 2022 Fastroad Ex Pro, that I love riding, but it has issues here and there, that are all electrical in nature, outside of a cracked/defective rear wheel. Yesterday after arriving home from a quick 35 mile ride, the battery started discharging on its own, right before my eyes, while parked. The battery indictor went from 22% to 5% in 15 or so seconds. I turned the bike off and on again, and it was still at 5%. I removed the battery, and put it back on, and same thing....5%. I did recharge the battery and it is now at 100%, but this was just odd behavior. This probably my last Giant ebike, as I also own a Vado 4 and Trek 8s, and I have not had one issue with either of those bikes, and they have double the miles of the Giant. Go figure......

Back