Known Issues & Problems with Giant Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I have a stance e2 2020 model I read some where about replacing the top 2 small gears with a higher grade of harden teeth does anybody know where I could find the harden replacement gears? Also if anybody else came across that info and where me and my local deal wants to know as my bike has had issue regaurding the top gear teeth thanks for any info.

Hi, I gave my dad my Twist Espirit Double and few weeks after it broke. I have no chance now to get it to any Giant dealer as it's in remote area. Here is what happens on the controller:
Both batteries are fully loaded, the bike didn't get wet or anything weird. Just at some uphill ride one battery went down, and after the switch to the other one it started just lighting this second from top green light and then no more power. Multiple times turned off/on, controller out and back in etc - no difference. The front light is also not working. I thought that maybe I could buy and send my dad the replacement controller, but it could be also something else wrong and then another wasted money... Pity it can't go via normal diagnostics. Any hints very welcome.

Hi, I gave my dad my Twist Espirit Double and few weeks after it broke. I have no chance now to get it to any Giant dealer as it's in remote area. Here is what happens on the controller...
Remove both batteries, wait a little, then try again.

Two minor issues with Fathom E+1 Pro. The battery seals were not installed correctly and we're replaced on warranty. When changing them out, they found that some of the clips that held the plastic cover plate onto the battery were also broken. That too will be replaced on warranty with no problems - parts just arrived today at LBS.

Otherwise, trouble free. I'm getting a minor rattle at 25 - 35km an hour, and so far I've been unable to pin it down as to where it's coming from, but it's quite minor. I'm waiting on a new torque wrench, and I'm going to re-torque everything and see what happens. I'll discuss with shop when I go in for the new cover.

From what I have read there has been a lot of trouble with Giant E-Bikes when getting wet from rain or after washing. I own a 2018 Giant Full-E+1SX Pro MTB and a 2019 Giant Road-E+1 Pro. The latter has done just over 10 000km and the MTB 3500km. Recently I got caught in a very heavy down pour on my road bike and the next day it started playing up in a similar way as describe in this forum. Sometimes it would not switch on and when it did it would stick on Eco mode and would not change. Also if I stopped the bike it would suddenly engage Walk assist mode and take off on its own. I realised that water had got in somewhere but was not sure where so applied the hair drier to the display and the control panel and a blow heater around the motor. It took just over a week to function properly again so one needs patience. As I have Speedboxes fitted to both bikes I was able to figure out that the problem was not in the motor as the Speedbox which is fitted inside the motor still functioned and therefore the problem had to be in the control panel. So one has got to prevent water getting in there under any circumstances. When the Control Panel is wet I am suspicious that when one presses the various buttons it could let the water in. I have solved the problem by taking a piece of clear plastic Cling Wrap and covering the whole Display Panel and Control Panel with it. One needs to overlap both panels on the road bike as they are next to one another.Then take a couple of elastic bands and wrap them around and below the Control Panel making sure that the bands tuck in the plastic Cling Wrap hanging below. I then took another pair of rubber bands which I stretched right over both the Display Panel AND the Control Panel so as to waterproof the Control Panel as well. On the MTB this is an easier operation as they are far apart and both can be covered separately in this way. Obviously one can use any clear plastic as long as it is flexible and not too stiff. Also do not cover until you are sure that everything is completely dry. Both bikes have not given me one day of trouble except for the above. I also like the fact that they both have the large 500W battery instead of the 375W on the latest models so I can go further. When doing long trips in the country I attach a carrier to the bike and carry a spare battery rapped in a soft rubber mat so it doesn't slip and secure it to the carrier with double sided Velcro. I have never had the motors serviced and they are still going strong. As far as I am concerned Giant E-Bikes are the best value for money. Do not be fooled by the lightweight Carbon E-Bikes that are now on the market for double the price because with a Giant E-Bike, weight makes no difference when flying up hill. During the Covid 19 lockdown at the beginning we were only allowed to exit our Security Village once a week for shopping so for exercise I used to go on my E-Road Bike. I chose the hilliest route possible and found that with a 20kg rucksack on my back filled with groceries I could still travel uphill at 30kmh. Speed was not affected but it probably used more of the battery power. I hope this thread will help those with similar problems.

There's good info in here, but for crying out loud, it's about impossible to read. Therefore:

From what I have read there has been a lot of trouble with Giant E-Bikes when getting wet from rain or after washing. I own a 2018 Giant Full-E+1SX Pro MTB and a 2019 Giant Road-E+1 Pro. The latter has done just over 10 000km and the MTB 3500km.

Recently I got caught in a very heavy down pour on my road bike and the next day it started playing up in a similar way as describe in this forum. Sometimes it would not switch on and when it did it would stick on Eco mode and would not change. Also if I stopped the bike it would suddenly engage Walk assist mode and take off on its own. I realised that water had got in somewhere but was not sure where so applied the hair drier to the display and the control panel and a blow heater around the motor. It took just over a week to function properly again so one needs patience.

As I have Speedboxes fitted to both bikes I was able to figure out that the problem was not in the motor as the Speedbox which is fitted inside the motor still functioned and therefore the problem had to be in the control panel. So one has got to prevent water getting in there under any circumstances. When the Control Panel is wet I am suspicious that when one presses the various buttons it could let the water in.

I have solved the problem by taking a piece of clear plastic Cling Wrap and covering the whole Display Panel and Control Panel with it. One needs to overlap both panels on the road bike as they are next to one another.Then take a couple of elastic bands and wrap them around and below the Control Panel making sure that the bands tuck in the plastic Cling Wrap hanging below. I then took another pair of rubber bands which I stretched right over both the Display Panel AND the Control Panel so as to waterproof the Control Panel as well.

On the MTB this is an easier operation as they are far apart and both can be covered separately in this way. Obviously one can use any clear plastic as long as it is flexible and not too stiff. Also do not cover until you are sure that everything is completely dry.

Both bikes have not given me one day of trouble except for the above. I also like the fact that they both have the large 500W battery instead of the 375W on the latest models so I can go further. When doing long trips in the country I attach a carrier to the bike and carry a spare battery rapped in a soft rubber mat so it doesn't slip and secure it to the carrier with double sided Velcro. I have never had the motors serviced and they are still going strong.

As far as I am concerned Giant E-Bikes are the best value for money. Do not be fooled by the lightweight Carbon E-Bikes that are now on the market for double the price because with a Giant E-Bike, weight makes no difference when flying up hill. During the Covid 19 lockdown at the beginning we were only allowed to exit our Security Village once a week for shopping so for exercise I used to go on my E-Road Bike. I chose the hilliest route possible and found that with a 20kg rucksack on my back filled with groceries I could still travel uphill at 30kmh. Speed was not affected but it probably used more of the battery power. I hope this thread will help those with similar problems.

From what I have read there has been a lot of trouble with Giant E-Bikes when getting wet from rain or after washing. I own a 2018 Giant Full-E+1SX Pro MTB and a 2019 Giant Road-E+1 Pro. The latter has done just over 10 000km and the MTB 3500km. Recently I got caught in a very heavy down pour on my road bike and the next day it started playing up in a similar way as describe in this forum. Sometimes it would not switch on and when it did it would stick on Eco mode and would not change. Also if I stopped the bike it would suddenly engage Walk assist mode and take off on its own. I realised that water had got in somewhere but was not sure where so applied the hair drier to the display and the control panel and a blow heater around the motor. It took just over a week to function properly again so one needs patience. As I have Speedboxes fitted to both bikes I was able to figure out that the problem was not in the motor as the Speedbox which is fitted inside the motor still functioned and therefore the problem had to be in the control panel. So one has got to prevent water getting in there under any circumstances. When the Control Panel is wet I am suspicious that when one presses the various buttons it could let the water in. I have solved the problem by taking a piece of clear plastic Cling Wrap and covering the whole Display Panel and Control Panel with it. One needs to overlap both panels on the road bike as they are next to one another.Then take a couple of elastic bands and wrap them around and below the Control Panel making sure that the bands tuck in the plastic Cling Wrap hanging below. I then took another pair of rubber bands which I stretched right over both the Display Panel AND the Control Panel so as to waterproof the Control Panel as well. On the MTB this is an easier operation as they are far apart and both can be covered separately in this way. Obviously one can use any clear plastic as long as it is flexible and not too stiff. Also do not cover until you are sure that everything is completely dry. Both bikes have not given me one day of trouble except for the above. I also like the fact that they both have the large 500W battery instead of the 375W on the latest models so I can go further. When doing long trips in the country I attach a carrier to the bike and carry a spare battery rapped in a soft rubber mat so it doesn't slip and secure it to the carrier with double sided Velcro. I have never had the motors serviced and they are still going strong. As far as I am concerned Giant E-Bikes are the best value for money. Do not be fooled by the lightweight Carbon E-Bikes that are now on the market for double the price because with a Giant E-Bike, weight makes no difference when flying up hill. During the Covid 19 lockdown at the beginning we were only allowed to exit our Security Village once a week for shopping so for exercise I used to go on my E-Road Bike. I chose the hilliest route possible and found that with a 20kg rucksack on my back filled with groceries I could still travel uphill at 30kmh. Speed was not affected but it probably used more of the battery power. I hope this thread will help those with similar problems.

Jislaaik boet! Dit is een lang paragraaf. 😉 I’ve ordered a 2021 explore e + and hopefully they have improved the waterproofing.🤞

I have a stance e2 2020 model I read some where about replacing the top 2 small gears with a higher grade of harden teeth does anybody know where I could find the harden replacement gears? Also if anybody else came across that info and where me and my local deal wants to know as my bike has had issue regaurding the top gear teeth thanks for any info.
Here is a update on my bike I'll spare you most of the in between stuff my dealer ended up putting a SunRace cassette with out the monster low gear and a new sram chain. This worked for a little while and the was just starting to do it a little bit again. My dealer would have figured it out and took care of me but at the time I had a crazy schedule among other things. 1st off the not having 42 tooth ring for first is not a loss as it was so low even on a steep trail you didn't use it. So here is the short version of what I did to fix the problem leaving out a few little details. I put a XT cassette (cs-m771-10) 11-36T and a Shimano cn-e6090-10 HG-X chain with a quick link. It's night and day smooth quiet and fast. Well winter is around the corner might be some 45north studded commuter tires in it's future!

So I recently (mid-Sept) bought a Revolt E+. Put around 800Km's on it (60Km commute/day) and all was going well. Love the geometry and "feel" of it.
Ended up off work for 10 days with our Covid protocol so the bike stayed in the garage fully charged.
The day before I was going back to work I decided to check it out and get it ready for the commute.
Battery was at 93%. No biggie, it'd been sitting for 2 weeks. Plugged it into the charger.
Checked an hour or so later and the charger is showing a solid Red LED......hmmmm. Quick look at the online owner's manual says, "Solid Red : no battery connected"
Fired up the RideControl and it gave the 'batterypak' warning, and 'service your bike' blurb. It disappeared and looked normal.
I tried to do the update with then newest version but it would only get to about 5% and then crap out. Tried many times, no dice.
Went to shut it down, and the "Goodbye" prompt would not go out. Ended up releasing the battery.
Took the bike to the shop and they said, "Oh yeah, it just needs us to update it." When I mentioned the battery weirdness they mentioned that they had had a few bad chargers that over-charged the battery so they'd contact Giant for me. Cool.
Called later in the day and they said their computer was having problems updating the bike....hmmm.
After discussing the issues with them on the phone we decided I could come pick it up and I'd just have to watch it while it charged until a new charger arrived.
Arrived at the shop and thought I'd try the new App. Bike wouldn't start up. He managed to get the first screen to come up but then it would promptly die.
"Well, it looks like the RideControl unit might be bad too."

Now here's the kicker:

"Unfortunately, Giant Canada only has 1 guy left in their Warranty dept because 3 guys just quit." "So, we'll put a message in and hope it will get done quickly."

That was over 2 1/2 weeks ago.
I just talked to the shop and voiced my concern that as per Giant's site, they are shutting down from Dec 14 to Jan 4.
Getting a bit choked to say the least. I understand the staffing story, but it's a hard pill to swallow after purchasing the most expensive bike I've ever bought, that was supposed to get me to and from work everyday.

I've been pretty gentle with the shop because, hey, there's only so much they can do.
If a solution doesn't come soon I might suggest a shop credit and get a non-ebike for my commute......just don't know.

@skytech: Have you tried to ride your Revolt E+ for some time longer to discharge the battery below 90%? What I have noticed is Giant chargers might stay in "solid red" until the battery is discharged below 90%.

Have you tried to ride your Revolt E+ for some time longer to discharge the battery below 90%? What I have noticed is Giant chargers might stay in "solid red" until the battery is discharged below 90%.
The manual on my Momentum (made by Giant) says to run the battery down after 3 months or 15 charge cycles.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 307
@skytech - so the bike won't even power up to ride it? And they don't have an extra charger to test?
Setting the app aside, you cannot ride the bike?

And yes, not uncommon for a charger to fail, connector, leads, control board. Our LBS had a demo Trance that quit running, got ignored over the business of the pandemic. They finally connected a different charger and low and behold, that was all it took to get it going again - nothing wrong with the bike.

@skytech - so the bike won't even power up to ride it? And they don't have an extra charger to test?
Setting the app aside, you cannot ride the bike?

And yes, not uncommon for a charger to fail, connector, leads, control board. Our LBS had a demo Trance that quit running, got ignored over the business of the pandemic. They finally connected a different charger and low and behold, that was all it took to get it going again - nothing wrong with the bike.
Yes, it won't even power up. Well, the initial screen comes up for about a second then shuts off.

I'd thought about taking it just to "ride" it, but the thought of a commute on a 47lb bike while pushing through the motor drag the entire way didn't really appeal to me. :).
Plus, the shop owner said that when the call from Giant does come it's often a quick walk-through of "magical" steps that can sometimes cure any issues, so without the bike there.....

They did tell me that most likely Giant would send a new charger and battery if either were determined to be the problem, but trying to get any response from Giant has been the issue.

I'm just holding tight in hopes of a solution soon, but to say it's frustrating is an understatement.

At this point the shop should simply replace the bike. Likely they can't even get one to do that.
Odd they don't have other chargers and packs to at least try out as a test for troubleshooting. And you can put a volt meter on the connectors if you know which ones supply power, at least know if the pack has proper/full charge, is making a connection to the bike.

When we pulled the battery out it was showing fully charged so it may well be a connection issue, which the mechanic did mention as something he's seen before.
The shop is/was in the midst of a move to a new location, so there's a bit of grace to be given to them during this.
The lack of support from Giant is somewhat disturbing though considering all bike companies have absolutely thrived over the last year.

Hoping not be coming across as a ranter, but I just want to get back on a bike!! :)

I doubt there's a problem getting Giant to respond. No basis or proof, I just doubt it. Good luck, hope you get it resolved sooner rather than later.

Maybe an issue with Giant Canada? My shop has never had an issue getting responses from Giant USA, even during the pandemic. Parts availability is another matter, and not unique to Giant (everyone has had issues getting parts during the pandemic).

Maybe an issue with Giant Canada? My shop has never had an issue getting responses from Giant USA, even during the pandemic. Parts availability is another matter, and not unique to Giant (everyone has had issues getting parts during the pandemic).
Yes, apparently Giant Canada had 4 guys in the e-bike warranty department but recently 3 of them left. Leaves 1 guy for all of Canada.....yikes.

Back