Known Issues & Problems with Bosch Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Just wanted to add another data point here. Bought a new Raleigh Lore with a Bosch Speed unit and got the 500 error after 1 month and less than 300 miles. Currently at LBS awaiting replacement. No idea what caused it - water ingress? Electronics? Not sure.
Sheesh. That company has serious quality control issues. Most important component on the ebike is failing that soon, and more than just a few ebikes.

Getting the change display battery message on my purion controller. Changed the batteries and still getting the same message. Do I have to reset it or something? Btw. This is on a relatively new Trek bike. Could it be the cold affecting batteries?

@Deleted Member 4210 when making such claims you really should back up your data with solid information. Where are you getting your factual reported data from? A few issues reported on a forum etc... vs the total # of units currently in use does not reflect any real data to back up your claims that Bosch has serious quality issues.

If we want to talk about serious quality issues there are numerous other brands available in North America who are far inferior to any Bosch powered ebike.

The idea of a forum is to offer solid support, data and the like to other members, not to bash brands with unsubstantiated data especially from a retailer. Throwing out one liner's is not cool.

We have been in the ebike business since 2010 and the technology today is leaps and bounds ahead of what was available back then. Brands like Bosch, Yamaha, Brose and Shimano are taking the technology to a whole new level, and the amount of time we now have to spend fixing poor electricals, drive units etc.... is a fraction of what it used to be.

Just now reading this posting and associated messages in it. I'm interested in the noise from the motor problem. At 5,080 my LBS replaced the motor on my 2017 Super Commuter. I now have 550 miles on the new motor. It's been back to the LBS for a week to have the mechanic hear what I heard. (crunchy, intermittent 'rice krispies' noises) He rode it a few days and made some adjustments, tweaks (to the chain, derailleur, etc.). I still have the occasional noise occurring, interfaced with Trek, and they sent a new chainring. I've asked my LBS to also put a new chain, new cassette and new derailleur (at my expense) to once and for all validate and verify the noises. I've posted in Trek Forum regarding this, and my long term concerns are what are my expectations moving forward? My reasoning is that while away on vacation I rented a Specialized Como and it was like riding a Caddliac. I actually was thinking of renting a new Super Commuter to compare that and mine. I know after 5,000 miles the bike is not a new bike any more, but what are the expectation of a $5,000 bike performance, longeitivity and maintainece to be? Oh, and at about 3,000 miles I had them replace the chain and cassette, so moving forward, this "noise", comes, goes, 1st motor, now second new motor. Am I too sensitive or is this the way it is? It's being dropped off tomorrow for the install of the new parts.

It sounds to me like the crankshaft gear retaining circlip may have broken? This will give popping crunching noises if any bits go through the gears and intermittent noise as the gear moves back and forth on the shaft and starts wearing away at other motor parts. Do you ever feel any rough feeling through the pedals or hear a whining noise from time to time?

Attachments

• IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 835
Re: "Do you ever feel any rough feeling through the pedals or hear a whining noise from time to time?"
Yes indeed, whining, rough feeling, noises, even with the new motor!!

Re: "Do you ever feel any rough feeling through the pedals or hear a whining noise from time to time?"
Yes indeed, whining, rough feeling, noises, even with the new motor!!
All Bosch motors will whine very slightly when in low gears at slow speed, this is normal and tends to disappear as speed picks up. I have ridden a lot of ebikes with all different motors, but never noticed a rough feeling through the pedals, unless the bearings, pedals, chain etc. are shot!? Very odd!

I'm aware of the "whining", however I just picked up the bike yesterday from the LBS and they had put in new parts, now at 5,600 miles.
Of course a new motor a few months ago (at 5,080 miles).
This week, a new chainring gear, a new cassette, a new chain, a new deurailer, so basically everything new.
Still got crunching, grinding noise (intermittent), and I'm dead tired of the 60 mile round trip back and forth to the bike shop.
--------
Crosspost
--------
Picked up my Super Commuter 8+ 6/22/19 from Trek Middleton (NJ) . It was there over a week. Again.

Sad to say, with new parts as specified, and the new motor, the very same noise(s) are occurring.

Given the fact that this bike has been in the shop more times than I can count. The last interaction/discussion was to have them (the LBS) remediate with a new chainring which Trek supplied.

I, being proactive and feeling that it would be in my best interest to replace all other potential parts that might be a contributing factor, which I did, has proven to be unnecessary, as the noises previously described, discussed and validated are still occurring, which, by the way, have never, ever, ever existed until my bike had accumulated a few thousand miles, hence the approval for a new motor after it was verified by the LBS that it appeared to be the culprit.

Unfortunately, none of those procedures have resolved the problem. These noises seem to be coming from the crankcase of the motor under hard pedaling, high cadence and Eco mode, all as previously described. I had then replace a new cassette, a new chain, a new chainring, a new deurailer and of course the new motor.

I had initially requested that a Trek representative as well as a Bosch representative either be onsite to concur in the acknowledgement and or resolution of the problem(s), which has never occurred. I was told to do what I have done, and given the fact that I’ve had Trek Middletown attempt to remediate these unresolved issues, I’m declaring that I have a lemon product, and I’m at the end of my patience level and demand the bike be either:
  1. Investigated as requested by both Bosch and Trek, with onsite reps and once and for all resolved
  2. Replaced
  3. Refunded
I'll let all interested know how it turns out, I'm very disappointed.

I strapped on my Contour Roam cam today.
I have a few attached links (Dropbox) to show/hear noises (crunchy, under load, etc.)
Although there is road noise and motor whine, it can be heard.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1fo4twfvou6gsz/1st sample bike noise.mov?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4uttwo8y1k4ova/2nd sample bike noise.mov?dl=0

Trek replaced the bike...the replacement bike is better than my previous Super Commuter, it is unbelievable, smooth, perfect.
Today it is 22 days since I received it and I've got close to 500 miles on it, absolutely perfect.
I can't wait to buy a new one in October!!
Better motor, better battery, what more could one want?
I'm so glad I did not jump ship and buy a Specialized Turbo Vado.....killer bike, but miserable support from what I read with a ton of motor problems.

Trek replaced the bike...the replacement bike is better than my previous Super Commuter, it is unbelievable, smooth, perfect.
Today it is 22 days since I received it and I've got close to 500 miles on it, absolutely perfect.
I can't wait to buy a new one in October!!
Better motor, better battery, what more could one want?
I'm so glad I did not jump ship and buy a Specialized Turbo Vado.....killer bike, but miserable support from what I read with a ton of motor problems.
YEAH .... that is SOLID that they gave you a brand new bike . Kudos to Trek for standing behind the product the way they should and to you for your patience.

2018 CX with 5000km. ERROR code on the controller during a long steep dry uphill that I have done a lot.
All functions worked but no power to the cranks. Back down the mt a few kms and voila! Power back on and operating normally.

2018 CX with 5000km. ERROR code on the controller during a long steep dry uphill that I have done a lot.
All functions worked but no power to the cranks. Back down the mt a few kms and voila! Power back on and operating normally.
The dealer can look up the error code for you ...yes?

Hi.

I have an Trek XM700+. At about 5500 miles I started noticing a click or ticking sound coming from the Bosch unit. The clicking is in sync with the crank position, and stays about the same position during a ride, but may change ride to ride. I can almost feel it in the pedals. At first I thought it may be bad pedals as I have had them do the same (clicking at same crank position) in the past. New pedals did not fix the noise. I also noticed that the noise occurs later in the ride when the weather is cooler (<60F) than when it is hot (> 75F). The bike has 6100 miles now.

I never ride the bike in the rain or when the roads are wet. No off road riding either. I am a relaxed rider so no hard pedaling. Usual cadence is +/- 85 rpm.

The chain is still in good shape per my Parktool measuring device (I clean/lube the chain often).

I hope this is not a bearing problem, especially as I don't ride hard and have kept the drive unit clean and dry.

Open to suggestions.

Hi.

I have an Trek XM700+. At about 5500 miles I started noticing a click or ticking sound coming from the Bosch unit. The clicking is in sync with the crank position, and stays about the same position during a ride, but may change ride to ride. I can almost feel it in the pedals. At first I thought it may be bad pedals as I have had them do the same (clicking at same crank position) in the past. New pedals did not fix the noise. I also noticed that the noise occurs later in the ride when the weather is cooler (<60F) than when it is hot (> 75F). The bike has 6100 miles now.

I never ride the bike in the rain or when the roads are wet. No off road riding either. I am a relaxed rider so no hard pedaling. Usual cadence is +/- 85 rpm.

The chain is still in good shape per my Parktool measuring device (I clean/lube the chain often).

I hope this is not a bearing problem, especially as I don't ride hard and have kept the drive unit clean and dry.

Open to suggestions.
Does it still make the noise if you pedal while standing up? If yes, does it get better or worse? Personally, the first thing I would check is the tightness of the motor bolts, followed by seat post, then rear suspension linkage, last rear wheel assembly. Most noises around the bike get transmitted by the frame and emanate from the motor area, so check everything else first.

Update on my ticking/clicking problem:

New pedals.
Pedals tight to crank arms checked.
Crank arms are tight to the motor input shaft checked.
Seat tube clamp was tight.
No rear suspension on my bike.

It's getting worse (louder).

The clicking/tick is still in the same pedal crank position and has not moved - more specificaly the left pedal is at about 12:30 (left view, coming to top), right pedal is of course at 6:30 (going to and almost at bottom).

I noticed yesterday that pedaling rpm has essentially no effect on the the noise - noise remains in sync with pedal crank position.

If I pedal with a force less than 12 Nm or greater than 20Nm, no noise. Also generally no noise for the first 1/2 mile of any ride.

Noise is present in all gears (generally 1 - 6).

There may be an additional pedal crank position developing the same noise.

Get the local Trek rep involved, I have almost an identical issue for an extended period of time with no resolve except to replace the bike.

You didn't say you checked the motor bolts? This is the most likely suspect. When the motor is fitted new in the factory it has what they call a damping film between the motor and the frame. This damping film is compressed by the motor bolts when new and everything is quiet. Over a relatively short period of time the damping film tends to compress a little more, this leaves the bolts not quite as tight as they should be, this in turn allows the motor to move a little more and wear through the damping film. Once the damping film has gone, it's then two aluminium surfaces rubbing together under relatively high pressure, this makes a clicking or cracking or creaking noise as the two surfaces grip and slip. Hope this makes sense.

That does make sense. And I do somethimes have that very different sound too although it's behavior is different because it is at a different point in the pedal stroke and happens for each pedal stroke. The clicking/ticking sound only happens once per pedal revolution and when the left pedal is nearly at the top. The creaking is more pedaling effort dependent where the ticking is not - they almost complement each other.

I plan on checking the motor bolts - I have ordered the necessary tools. Off hand do you know the proper motor mounting bolt torque specification?

You might want to look at https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/sduro-haibike-22-newton-torque-setting-bolts-ouch.23468/

also

good luck

Back