Known Issues & Problems with Bosch Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from Bosch as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Problems with chain wear and chain jamming have been mentioned by our members along with issues concerning the small motor cog.

Hi. Thanks for this great idea.
I want to explain that has appeared the symbol of maintenance at purion display after 1600km and 4 month use. The system is performance CX on a mounstache race8. As the engine works fine I would like to know why symbol appeared. Any idea.

Hi. Thanks for this great idea.
I want to explain that has appeared the symbol of maintenance at purion display after 1600km and 4 month use. The system is performance CX on a mounstache race8. As the engine works fine I would like to know why symbol appeared. Any idea.
This might be the standard maintenance reminder that pops up at a predetermined mileage point. You can have this disabled by your dealer, from what I understand.

An issue that I have recently discovered is that over-tightening a crank arm bolt can lead to the crank pressing into the lock ring which is mounted on the motor's shaft. This pressing can lead to the lock ring breaking/snapping. See photos for reference.
IMG-0184.JPG IMG-0183.JPG IMG-0182.JPG IMG-0181.JPG IMG-0180.JPG

@lluis this feature can be activated / deactivated by the dealer who can put service interval reminders into your system as a reminder for service work. This is an optional feature and most of our clients like it. It can be a mileage reminder (say every 1500 miles) or a date reminder (say once per year) or both. If you don't like it simply ask your dealer to deactivate it via the Bosch dealer software tool.

hope this helps,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com

An issue that I have recently discovered is that over-tightening a crank arm bolt can lead to the crank pressing into the lock ring which is mounted on the motor's shaft. This pressing can lead to the lock ring breaking/snapping. See photos for reference.
View attachment 19047 View attachment 19048 View attachment 19049 View attachment 19050 View attachment 19051
Does anyone know the recommended torque? I recently tightened mine a bit because I suspected of a creak but it was irrelevant, now I'm worried.

My intuvia control buttons stopped working after just one wash with running water. Later I found out that control unit got upgraded due similar issues. Now I'm waiting for the new one to be delivered as I'm stuck in turbo mode all the time. You can check whether your control unit is the old or new one. There's a part number on the back: 1270016713 (old), 1270016724 (new). It's pretty easy to replace just four screws behind the display unit. Also I should mention that your display software must be 5.3.0.0 or higher in order to use the new controller out of the box.

Hi
I have a lapierre sx 800 with the Bosch cx motor on Ths bike is 1 year old , I am waiting for the 5th ,yes the 5th motor replacement , all have failed with an issue of seized crank < at least that what is appears to be . I dont see many or even any threads re this , Number 1 motor did 900 miles number 2, 250 miles number 3, 175 miles number 4 made a clunking noise , waiting for 5 !! in fairness Bosch have replaced the motors without comment but what after 2 years will the situation be , 3/4 new motors per year??.
I ride trails in North wales ,nothing special , wet gritty muddy , normal!
DJ

Hi
I have a lapierre sx 800 with the Bosch cx motor on Ths bike is 1 year old , I am waiting for the 5th ,yes the 5th motor replacement , all have failed with an issue of seized crank < at least that what is appears to be . I dont see many or even any threads re this , Number 1 motor did 900 miles number 2, 250 miles number 3, 175 miles number 4 made a clunking noise , waiting for 5 !! in fairness Bosch have replaced the motors without comment but what after 2 years will the situation be , 3/4 new motors per year??.
I ride trails in North wales ,nothing special , wet gritty muddy , normal!
DJ
Sorry to hear that. Quite the opposite from what I've heard about these motors. I know people who made thousands of miles on it without any issue. It's highly unlikely that all 4 motors had the same fault. There must be something unique about your riding conditions that these motors are not designed for. Do you know anyone in your area who owns a Bosch powered ebike? What are their experiences? Also what do you mean by seized, is it locked up or smth?

Sorry to hear that. Quite the opposite from what I've heard about these motors. I know people who made thousands of miles on it without any issue. It's highly unlikely that all 4 motors had the same fault. There must be something unique about your riding conditions that these motors are not designed for. Do you know anyone in your area who owns a Bosch powered ebike? What are their experiences? Also what do you mean by seized, is it locked up or smth?
Hi thanks for the reply.
The motors 1.2.3 experienced what we assume to be crank bearing failure.
It manifested itself in the following ways
Motor 1 noisy
2 and3 I went to move the bike and found that the rear wheel appeared locked when I Reversed the bike from its stand . I thought initially the brakes were locked but in fact it was the crank which was siezed . I was able to break the siege but the motor sounded like a coffe grinder , but only when pedalling forward, it was smooth when back pedalling. (This is confusing if it is the crank bearing and is more likely to beat motor bearing on the drive side)
The 4thhada différent problem after fitting and had bond shop retained the Bike waiting for a new motor this should be fitted tomorrow and give me some time with it before a WOR event next week
My riding is nothing out of the ordinary , it’s often wet but not clinging mud , I have ridden a spicy and a zesty around these trails for years and it experienced any abnormal maintainable issues.
Bosch to be fair have supported the problem to date but the concern is when the bike is out
of warranty
It doesn’t help that Lapierre have recently changed their distributors in the uk and the new dealers and distributors are not up to speed with the product. With bike manufacturers offloading component warranty to component manufacturers the company Lapierre is isolated from this problem , but I have, through their new um distributors Raleigh , started a complaint to them , I accept it USA Bosch problem but hope Lapierre can have some positive input
Dj

My intuvia control buttons stopped working after just one wash with running water. Later I found out that control unit got upgraded due similar issues. Now I'm waiting for the new one to be delivered as I'm stuck in turbo mode all the time. You can check whether your control unit is the old or new one. There's a part number on the back: 1270016713 (old), 1270016724 (new). It's pretty easy to replace just four screws behind the display unit. Also I should mention that your display software must be 5.3.0.0 or higher in order to use the new controller out of the box.

Hello Durukan,

That is interesting and precious information. I couldn't find any other information on any forum about a similar issue.

In Paris, my partner's control unit is not responding anymore. It just happened like that in a middle of trip downhill. It has been raining a lot the past few weeks, and the bike is parked outside.
Unlucky her, she is now stuck in "Off" mode, which is much less exciting prospect that any other mode.
The main console is responding to every controls (on/off, reset, light and information), so it really seems to be a similar issue to yours.
Let's see what the shop has to say.
A

Hi Durukan, this is not as uncommon as you think. A friend of is on his fourth Bosch motor with the same problems, he rides hard at bike parks but it is a £5000 bike designed for it. I have also had to replace a customers motor after 1300 miles. He is 75 years old and rarely takes it out of eco mode, has never used turbo and only used sport 1% of the time. (I ran the diagnostics). It is the basically the bottom bracket bearings failing which cause a noisy motor and play in the cranks. This must be either cheap bearings or the bearings not holding the grease in. Why don't they make them shop serviceable? At least a better quality bearing could be fitted then. Btw saying that DJR is riding in conditions the motors are not designed for is rubbish, they are designed all conditions or they would not fit them in mtb's. I have also not named any bike brands as it is not their problem, it is a Bosch problem.

I do open the motor every time we do the heavy trail. Specially. When we were in the mountain and bigin to rain. I open the bosch motor so i can cleaned entire motor. Maybe you are asking why i open the motor? Because in frirst time we just clean entire bike. We think that the motor is totaly seald. So after cleaning. Just leave it there. Wait for the next schedule for trail. After that when you going to use it there will be eror 500. So what i did is open on the fisrt time. And i saw inside the motor have water moisture inside. So i clean and spray with contact cleaner. And restart and reset all. Then the eror is gone. Thats why now i alway clean all my bike after heavy trail. Now i deside to change new motor more upgraded.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_125823.jpg
    IMG_20180128_125823.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23,732
  • IMG_20171207_172945.jpg
    IMG_20171207_172945.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5,614
@Arnel Philippines this would have been useful information in your earlier posts about having error codes developing on your bike. I have never had to open a Bosch drive unit on any of our trail bikes. This is the most likely reason why you are having error codes etc. on your bike. If you crack open the drive unit you are breaking the factory seal and hence why your dive unit is full of corrosion.

@Arnel Philippines this would have been useful information in your earlier posts about having error codes developing on your bike. I have never had to open a Bosch drive unit on any of our trail bikes. This is the most likely reason why you are having error codes etc. on your bike. If you crack open the drive unit you are breaking the factory seal and hence why your dive unit is full of corrosion.[/QUOTE
Thanks. Before i open at first time i have eror 500. Two or 3time that we go to heavy trail. Then the eror come out the eror500. When i open onvthe furst time i already see some water inside. After cleaning using contact cleaner. And assembled and clear the eror. I use the bike almost 7months. The firstime i open it there is already moisture inside. Thats why i got the first eror 500

For your information
Arnel

[/QUOT its far to my dealer Philippines to America motostrano. So i need to do something for my bike. It is effective and i use the bike after cleaning it by myself. But now its not repairable. I need to buy new one. Or buy obd so i can check what is wrong. But for the meantime. I need to know were can i buy the new motor so i can use my bike. Hope you could help me.

Bearing failure due to water ingress is common problem with Bosch CX. Can be from riding in wet muddy conditions or water from hosing bike down afterwards. Not sure which but best to avoid hosing motor down especially around cranks.

Bosch has fitted extra seal to later motors 2017 onwards. This is serviceable, should be removed repacked with grease on regular basis. No info from Bosch how often this is but I'd say more often in wet conditions.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...-unit-5-bearing-rings-including-grease-570055

The 48nm active lines also have same seal fitted. Being mainly road bikes they are less likely to suffer water ingress. Also lot have chain covers.

To check bearing conditions give crank good spin by hand with chain removed. Should be able to get 2-2.5 revs of crank in either direction before stopping.

Bearing failure due to water ingress is common problem with Bosch CX. Can be from riding in wet muddy conditions or water from hosing bike down afterwards. Not sure which but best to avoid hosing motor down especially around cranks.

Bosch has fitted extra seal to later motors 2017 onwards. This is serviceable, should be removed repacked with grease on regular basis. No info from Bosch how often this is but I'd say more often in wet conditions.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...-unit-5-bearing-rings-including-grease-570055

The 48nm active lines also have same seal fitted. Being mainly road bikes they are less likely to suffer water ingress. Also lot have chain covers.

To check bearing conditions give crank good spin by hand with chain removed. Should be able to get 2-2.5 revs of crank in either direction before stopping.

Is the seal for drive side only?

Back