Just for fun...

I am blond, he said absentmindedly.
1681085396129.jpeg

The theme in a NY Times crossword included these clues (the punchline adverb being the word the solver had to supply) :

"You forgot to water the plants", Tom said witheringly.

"Oh, I just fed the alligator," he said offhandedly.

"As much as I'd like, you're not inheriting any of my estate," he said unwillingly.

So I started making up some on my own, and a couple a friend came up with:

"Too many pages," he said unaccountably.

He complained of being sick ad nauseum.

"That's the 'Dog Star' " she said seriously.

"Isn't that just the icing on the cake!" she sneered frostily.

"Haven't you finished sharpening those pencils yet?" she asked pointedly.

"Perhaps you would replace the light bulb?" Tom inquired brightly.

"I hate felines", he said cattily.

"Parrots freak me out!" she squawked.

"Pancakes again for breakfast," she said flatly, looking down at the plate.

So, what about you? Can you come up with some? The adverb has to be related to the main part of the sentence in a punny or other wordplay way.
These are called "swiftys" after the boy's adventure books series ... Tom Swift and his flying car, Tom Swift and his electric submarine, etc.
Aparently the author was fond of adverbs to the point of abuse, and a parlor game developed making fun of his writing style.

Given that, this begs the question; What about Spoonerisms?
Go take a shower, is Go stake a tower...Bottle in front of me, Is Frontal lobotomy. Spoonerisms are more verbal, so do not need to be spelled perfectly, just sonic-phonetically with the swap of consonants.

He asked, 'What is the phonetic spelling of phonetically?'

Last edited:
Given that, this begs the question; What about Spoonerisms?
I regret so much Polish spoonerisms are totally untranslatable to English...

The one everybody starts an exchange of spoonerisms here changes "Huts in Słupsk" into "Straws in your big ass" (domki w upsku, omki w dupsku).

Trail snacks, is Snail Tracks. We have 130mm long Banana Suggs around here that can eat a banana! They are part of the redwood ecosystem. The Banana Slugs are the official mascots of University California, Santa Cruz.
1681099593989.jpeg

Trail snacks, is Snail Tracks. We have 130mm long Banana Suggs around here that can eat a banana! They are part of the redwood ecosystem. The Banana Slugs are the official mascots of University California, Santa Cruz.
View attachment 151486
I bet the Oregon Ducks devoured them. Also playing in the same league are the Evergreen State College Geoducks (that's pronounced gooey-duck, by the way).

Last edited:
Back