Juiced CCX or ATOM Diamond Wave Pro for 20 mile each way commute?

About Me
  • 6’2” (31.5 inseam). 260lb.
  • Reasonably handy, but can’t lace a wheel to save my life. Would love to learn how to true up wheels
  • Ride my Bianchi Milano (internal hub) on evenings and weekends (10-40 miles at a time).
  • Prefer internal hub to Derailleur

Goals
  • Commute to work 20 miles, sweat-free (no showers). Ride more aggressively home. Will carry laptop only (no power supply) and waterproofs.
    • Map: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/97549
    • Mostly flat: 200ft elevation change
    • Would like to get commute down to 75 mins.
    • Round trip on single charge (OK with more human power in commute home)

Uncertainties
  • Rear hub vs mid-drive - Think I want rear hub vs mid-drive (concerned about strain and wear on chain, etc with mid-drive, esp as I’m a big guy)
  • Do I need class 3? In my short test rides, pedal assist didn’t require much work to get to 18 mph
  • Do I need throttle? Have to arrive at work sweat-free as there are no showers
  • Is 250W mid-drive big enough
  • How long will batteries be available? Would hate to find that bike is discontinued in 2 years and battery is dead

Plan
  • Ridden several eBikes: (see below) short list is down to CCX and ATOM
  • Renting an ATOM Diamond Wave Pro to do test commute on Friday as I’m off work.
  • Buy next week

Contenders (* = Not ridden yet)
Note: many of the cons are personal preferences/current opinions, not facts

Atom Diamond Wave Pro
Pros
  • Loved the Brose - super responsive, super quiet (250-530W)
  • Nexus
  • Nice adjustable stem
  • Can get second battery for about 250
  • Magura HS-11 Hydraulic Rim Brakes - easy to service and remove wheels
  • Can buy locally
  • Liked ride position
  • Bluetooth Option (I think)
  • Theft prevention option (I think)
  • Battery Sleeve
  • KLICKfix on rear rack
  • Front suspension with lockout and preload
  • BH is a real bike and fitness equipment manufacturer
  • 5 year warranty and 1 year labor

Cons
  1. Class 1 - no throttle
  2. Top speed 20mph
  3. Mid-mounted (con?)

Juiced CCX
Pros
  • Class 3
  • Seems to have best electronics and ride modes
  • Has throttle
  • Hydraulic Disc Brakes
  • Great reviews
  • Massive battery and range (52v/19.2Ah)
  • Price - seems by far best value for money
  • Optional fast charger

Cons
  1. Derailleur
  2. Can’t test ride
  3. No local dealer
  4. Not sure whether I need large or XL frame

While the Brose unit is a great unit(I have 2), I dont think its the best for what your looking to do. The CCX(I have 1) would be much better.

While the 600wh battery on the Atom would meet your range requirements, they key thing you mention is 'no sweat'.

My CCX takes considerably less effort than my 2 brose bikes (one 20mph limited, one 28mph limited). I just barely get a workout on level 1 (assist modes are eco/1/2/3/S.

With the Atom, you would have to charge fully every day. With the CCX you could charge to 80% and greatly increase the life of your battery.

Im 6ft 32 inch inseam and have a large CCX. While this size works, I had to get a longer seat tube (While technically I didnt have to, my seatpost was right at the minimum insertion and I just wanted to play it safe). I would have been happier with the XL.

While the Brose unit is a great unit(I have 2), I dont think its the best for what your looking to do. The CCX(I have 1) would be much better.

While the 600wh battery on the Atom would meet your range requirements, they key thing you mention is 'no sweat'.

My CCX takes considerably less effort than my 2 brose bikes (one 20mph limited, one 28mph limited). I just barely get a workout on level 1 (assist modes are eco/1/2/3/S.

With the Atom, you would have to charge fully every day. With the CCX you could charge to 80% and greatly increase the life of your battery.

Im 6ft 32 inch inseam and have a large CCX. While this size works, I had to get a longer seat tube (While technically I didnt have to, my seatpost was right at the minimum insertion and I just wanted to play it safe). I would have been happier with the XL.
Plus, with juiced, you can purchase the optional programmable battery charger.

Thanks a lot for the input. Strongly leaning toward CCX now

I too am looking to purchase a CCS 52V for my wife and I. Just a question, the medium frame is for riders 5'5 +. She is roughly 5'4-5'5. Would this be ok for her. We are new to Ebikes so its a LOT of power but I am very comfortable on bike riding as a do usually 1-3k a year. We wanted to bigger batter for longer rides as well. The only other thing i am unsure of is the rear motor. We have a ton of steep hills on our commute and was reading a mid drive are much better in the long run. Would the rear on this bike be fine for that?

I ordered the CCX. Arrives on Monday. critical things for me were

Battery size
Cruise control and throttle (need to get to work sweat free-ish)
Value

I'm 6'2" and the XL CCS is perfect for me. I got the seat raised pretty high and put a stem riser on. Mine feels like a monster bike!

Juiced must be doing better on shipping. It took a couple of months to get my bike.

Hope you get to enjoy sweat free rides. I personally think that is some sort of a sales pitch!

No sales pitch, just a hope!

Figure with that size battery, I can go heavy on the assist on way to work and pedal hard on way home.

We'll see in a few days :)

BTW I did rent a surface 604 for a few days and did commute (pushing pretty hard) and arrived sweat free, but it was only 40-something degrees and headwind a lot of way

Last edited:
Just to follow up, I ended up getting the juiced and love it. Done my first round trip 44mile commute. About 1h 10 mins each way (raining).

Wasn't sweating when I got to work or got home and I pushed pretty hard on way home. That said it was 40-degrees in am and more rain in PM so colder.

to work I used level 3 and had about 30% battery left. On way home, I used level 2 and had almost 50% left

IMHO class 3 is definitely worth it. I can get to over 30mph with little effort.

Just to follow up, I ended up getting the juiced and love it. Done my first round trip 44mile commute. About 1h 10 mins each way (raining).

Wasn't sweating when I got to work or got home and I pushed pretty hard on way home. That said it was 40-degrees in am and more rain in PM so colder.

to work I used level 3 and had about 30% battery left. On way home, I used level 2 and had almost 50% left

IMHO class 3 is definitely worth it. I can get to over 30mph with little effort.

Good to hear. We are going to the local(ish) Juiced bikes dealer in Canada this Sunday to try the CCS 52V(kitted out). I have a feeling we'll love them and leave with them. We already got a trailer hitch bike rack from Amazon on the way so we're already invested haha.

You might already know this, but one thing to note is that CCS with 52V battery isn't the same thing as CCX because CCS has 20A controller and CCX has 25A.
Yeah unfortunately they don't sell the CCX in Canada. I mainly wanted the 52V because it comes upgraded with the marathon tyres, 21AH battery and Satiator charger. if I had just upgraded the 48V of that bike with those i would have paid a bit more. In the future ill look to upgrade to a better controller but im such a newbie to ebikes that this will suffice (and probably be overkill) for my first bike.

If you're looking for more power
48V battery + 20A controller = 960W
48V battery + 25A controller = 1,200W
52V battery + 20A controller = 1,040W
52V battery + 25A controller = 1,300W

I guess you said you need a long range so it makes sense to prioritize the battery.

But anyways, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is not an upgrade in my opinion.
Don't just take my word for it, you can do your research or ask people around, but the stock Kenda tires gripped a lot better than Schwalbe Marathon Plus. A lot of people found the same thing..
I have Continental Contact Plus now, which grips pretty well. Maybe Schwalbe's focus is puncture protection? I don't know.. the Schwalbe did in fact felt heavy and study.
Yeah longer range is more important for me, also i have looked at the stock tires for Kenda and the reason i want the Marathon is for puncture resistance. They are a heavier duty tire and I sometimes go through spells of getting flats on the way to work. Last thing i want to do is have to change a rear tire with the hub on the way to work. Grip won't be an issue as I am on paved roads and paths 99% of the time.

If you're looking for more power
48V battery + 20A controller = 960W
48V battery + 25A controller = 1,200W
52V battery + 20A controller = 1,040W
52V battery + 25A controller = 1,300W

I guess you said you need a long range so it makes sense to prioritize the battery.

But anyways, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is not an upgrade in my opinion.
Don't just take my word for it, you can do your research or ask people around, but the stock Kenda tires gripped a lot better than Schwalbe Marathon Plus. A lot of people found the same thing..
I have Continental Contact Plus now, which grips pretty well. Maybe Schwalbe's focus is puncture protection? I don't know.. the Schwalbe did in fact felt heavy and study.

I rode through a lot of standing water on a bike path yesterday and the marathon's were great. A keen cyclist buddy of mine swears by continentals, and yeah, if I was building a custom bike or needed new tires I'd probably spring for them, but I'm not gonna throw away a new pair of half-decent tires. For me, with a 44mile round trip commute puncture resistance with Ok performance is the key

Back