Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S Fender Help

Lenny7118

Hello to everyone I’m new to the forum. I just received my new CCS and I am having a heck of a time trying to get the front fender on straight without rubbing the tire. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get the fender straight ? On the one side the plastic piece that snaps onto the fender is right on the tire. I tried to move the plastic pieces up and down to make an adjustment but than the fender sits on the tire in the front. I tried for hours and no luck yet. I have attached pics. You can see the one side how far out it is and the other side sitting on the tire.
Thanks

Attachments

• E54658FD-A29D-4B39-9857-02C6D2E20B32.jpeg
    E54658FD-A29D-4B39-9857-02C6D2E20B32.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 631
  • 9149E274-B71D-4A35-BE4E-13450324DC52.jpeg
    9149E274-B71D-4A35-BE4E-13450324DC52.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 676
  • 0DDB6764-95E9-454E-A4AD-67D7DBECC890.jpeg
    0DDB6764-95E9-454E-A4AD-67D7DBECC890.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 626
Hi Lenny. I had the same problem. I moved the plastic clips a little higher to give more back/forward clearance, but not so high that your foot hits it when turning. I think I slightly twistined one wire out a bit and the other wire in a bit. Maybe loosen the connection to the fork first then retighten when in the right place. I assume the quick release on the front wheel is seated correctly and the wheel is straight! If I can think of anything, will let you know.

Hi Lenny. I had the same problem. I moved the plastic clips a little higher to give more back/forward clearance, but not so high that your foot hits it when turning. I think I slightly twistined one wire out a bit and the other wire in a bit. Maybe loosen the connection to the fork first then retighten when in the right place. I assume the quick release on the front wheel is seated correctly and the wheel is straight! If I can think of anything, will let you know.

Hi,Thanks for replying. I’ve been trying for hours not kidding. I tried moving the plastic clips up and down but just the one side is touching. I thought I had it worked out but than the fender was laying on top of the tire towards the front.
I don’t know what else to try. The tire is on straight all lined up.

The wire stays are made to be bent.

You can press on the one side or pull hard on the other side or both, the object being to put the bend at the fork end and thus bias the fender tail in the direction you want.

You might also dismount the stays one at a time, clamp the fork end in a vise (for instance) and bend that way by trial and error till you get what you want.

The wire stays are made to be bent.

You can press on the one side or pull hard on the other side or both, the object being to put the bend at the fork end and thus bias the fender tail in the direction you want.

You might also dismount the stays one at a time, clamp the fork end in a vise (for instance) and bend that way by trial and error till you get what you want.

Thanks for replying. Will those plastic clamps come off if I force them to and if so will that break them or degrade their sturdiness?

Sliding the clips up and down is good for making sure you've got consistent wheel clearance, but I wouldn't apply any force to them. Just bend the heck out of the support wires, it's normal and expected.

We use a very wide 700c tire and it is right at the edge of the clearance for standard fenders. It is a little tricky to find the point where the wheel is clearing the fender evenly put it is possible to achieve.

Use a Philips screwdriver to unscrew slightly the screw on the back fender stay holder (fender stay acorns). Then you can slide it up or down along the edge of the fender. When you have found the point where you have consistent fender clearance along the entire wheel, turn the screw to lock in place.

You can also pop the fender stay acorn off of the edge of the fender once you unscrew it. You can also pull the fender stay strut off of the fender stay acorn. Dont worry, you will not break it.

We use a very wide 700c tire and it is right at the edge of the clearance for standard fenders. It is a little tricky to find the point where the wheel is clearing the fender evenly put it is possible to achieve.

Use a Philips screwdriver to unscrew slightly the screw on the back fender stay holder (fender stay acorns). Then you can slide it up or down along the edge of the fender. When you have found the point where you have consistent fender clearance along the entire wheel, turn the screw to lock in place.

You can also pop the fender stay acorn off of the edge of the fender once you unscrew it. You can also pull the fender stay strut off of the fender stay acorn. Dont worry, you will not break it.

I’ve been trying that and no progress yet. I’ll try the bending next, would I bend the stay outwards ? the stay that is out further from the tire ?

I noticed the back fender one side is just millimeters from hitting the tire ( put on at factory) on one side so that will have to be addressed also once I get the front fender from rubbing on the tire. Riding over One bump on the rear fender and it will be on the tire.

I haven’t had a chance to test ride the bike yet until I get these fenders off the tire.

Thanks

Sliding the clips up and down is good for making sure you've got consistent wheel clearance, but I wouldn't apply any force to them. Just bend the heck out of the support wires, it's normal and expected.

Thanks for replying. Would I start by bending the fender stay that is clearing the tire with a lot of room? See the above pictures I posted.
Thanks

I had the same problem with mine, and fixed it by slightly bending the stay on the side that was rubbing.

Hi, Thanks for replying. Did you bend the stay outwards and did you bend it near the fork or in the middle of the stay. I tried bending the stay last night on the side that is rubbing and it made it worse so I unbent it.
Any pics that you can share of your bent stay this way I’ll have a staying point because maybe I’m bending the stay in the wrong area.

I tried bending the stay last night on the side that is rubbing and it made it worse so I unbent it.

It works best if you bend the opposite side outwards. So if the fender is rubbing on the left, bend the right stay out. It does not really matter how you bend it; it can be from the middle of the stay, or towards the dropout/frame end. It may end up slightly bowed compared to the other stay, but that is acceptable.

I have the same problem on my rear fender as well. let me know how you fix it. I just got my rear tire rebuilt with the new 13g spokes... and they did their best on getting back in after re-doing the dish.... but its still really close.... like you said, but only on 1 side.

It works best if you bend the opposite side outwards. So if the fender is rubbing on the left, bend the right stay out. It does not really matter how you bend it; it can be from the middle of the stay, or towards the dropout/frame end. It may end up slightly bowed compared to the other stay, but that is acceptable.

Thanks , that will be my next try on doing the adjustment on the front fender and I will keep a close eye on the rear fender it’s just like 3mm from the tire. I want to get a test ride in as soon as possible.
I will say the bike is solid.

I'm having the same problem. I finally just bent the wires to force it into a position that works. Not very confident that it will stay that way. It's just strange as it almost seems like the fender is just bent by design (or maybe during shipment?)

I'm having the same problem. I finally just bent the wires to force it into a position that works. Not very confident that it will stay that way. It's just strange as it almost seems like the fender is just bent by design (or maybe during shipment?)

It seems like it’s a wide spread issue and maybe Juiced will come up with a new mounting system.

I bend wires for a living (piano actions have lots of bent wires!) and cannot imagine any better way to stay fenders other than by wires you can bend. It is just a little knack and the writers above have provided all the cues.

"Nothing worthwhile works the first time, all by itself, just to please you; you have to make the damned thing work."

My bike's fenders were poorly aligned at first and rubbed and rattled.

Surprisingly, once you get the fenders right, it will generally remain adjusted even through hundreds of miles of riding. To bend mine, I detached the clip from the fender on the side that was too close to the tire, leaving the stay attached at the fork, and bent outward by holding the stay near to the fork and pulling the entire stay away from the tire (so it's bending right at the fork/dropout, more or less). I also did some bending inward on the opposite side, when the bending outward didn't seem to do the trick by itself.

Once you've got the fender more or less floating centered on the tire (and it does not need to be perfect), then slide the clips up and down on the fender until the spacing from fender to tire is pretty even throughout.

It took me about 20 minutes to get it good enough on both fenders. I was hesitant at first to apply a lot of force (don't want to break my new toy!) but really, don't be overly delicate with it. You should feel it bending under your force (like bending up a wire hanger or similar). Once done, it hasn't needed adjustment since.

And yes, it seems very common for this and other things to get messed up during assembly and in shipment. I had to readjust the back fender after shipment, along with the disc brakes (both of mine were rubbing out of the box), and my handlebars (they were out of center by quite a few degrees, that one was more surprising). A friend in town, his entire rear rack needed replacement because it was bent on arrival, and his brakes were rubbing too. I think probably a combo of trying to rush out all these orders and shipment being rough on the bikes.

Now that I am a couple hundred miles in, the rear fender rattle is the biggest annoyance (folks here have posted various fixes - Reid did the business card and felt trick, someone else used pliers to pinch the clip tighter), and I don't have the disc brakes quite right yet, they still rub occasionally.

Back