Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S Fender Help

Surprisingly, once you get the fenders right, it will generally remain adjusted even through hundreds of miles of riding. To bend mine, I detached the clip from the fender on the side that was too close to the tire, leaving the stay attached at the fork, and bent outward by holding the stay near to the fork and pulling the entire stay away from the tire (so it's bending right at the fork/dropout, more or less). I also did some bending inward on the opposite side, when the bending outward didn't seem to do the trick by itself.

Once you've got the fender more or less floating centered on the tire (and it does not need to be perfect), then slide the clips up and down on the fender until the spacing from fender to tire is pretty even throughout.

It took me about 20 minutes to get it good enough on both fenders. I was hesitant at first to apply a lot of force (don't want to break my new toy!) but really, don't be overly delicate with it. You should feel it bending under your force (like bending up a wire hanger or similar). Once done, it hasn't needed adjustment since.

And yes, it seems very common for this and other things to get messed up during assembly and in shipment. I had to readjust the back fender after shipment, along with the disc brakes (both of mine were rubbing out of the box), and my handlebars (they were out of center by quite a few degrees, that one was more surprising). A friend in town, his entire rear rack needed replacement because it was bent on arrival, and his brakes were rubbing too. I think probably a combo of trying to rush out all these orders and shipment being rough on the bikes.

Now that I am a couple hundred miles in, the rear fender rattle is the biggest annoyance (folks here have posted various fixes - Reid did the business card and felt trick, someone else used pliers to pinch the clip tighter), and I don't have the disc brakes quite right yet, they still rub occasionally.

Hi, Thanks for replying and your help. Question; When you pulled off the clips from the fender did those clips snap back on as secure as the first time? Did you use pliers to get those clips off or just by hand? I tried by hand yesterday to unclip them from the fender but I couldn’t get them off.

I had to fix my handlebars to just loosened them and centered them and torqued them to 6nm.

I bend wires for a living (piano actions have lots of bent wires!) and cannot imagine any better way to stay fenders other than by wires you can bend. It is just a little knack and the writers above have provided all the cues.

"Nothing worthwhile works the first time, all by itself, just to please you; you have to make the damned thing work."

My bike's fenders were poorly aligned at first and rubbed and rattled.

Thanks for replying and I will start the bending process.

I have an original Cross Current with aftermarket Planet Bike Cascadia 65mm fenders. The original Cross Current didn’t come with lights, fenders or a rack. I initially had the rubbing on both the front and back tires so I ended up removing the mud flaps (they pull off pretty easily on my fenders). That allows me to run the fender pretty close to the tires now without any rubbing and they still do a great job at keeping me dry. I live in Southern California and I only ever ride on wet pavement so I can’t say that I miss the mud flaps. I don’t know if the mud flaps can be removed easily on the CCS fenders but it’s worth a try if you don’t want to run a huge fender gap to prevent rubbing. My mud guards can be easily reinstalled at any time if I change my mind.

I have an original Cross Current with aftermarket Planet Bike Cascadia 65mm fenders. The original Cross Current didn’t come with lights, fenders or a rack. I initially had the rubbing on both the front and back tires so I ended up removing the mud flaps (they pull off pretty easily on my fenders). That allows me to run the fender pretty close to the tires now without any rubbing and they still do a great job at keeping me dry. I live in Southern California and I only ever ride on wet pavement so I can’t say that I miss the mud flaps. I don’t know if the mud flaps can be removed easily on the CCS fenders but it’s worth a try if you don’t want to run a huge fender gap to prevent rubbing. My mud guards can be easily reinstalled at any time if I change my mind.

Thanks for replying but the mud flaps aren’t my problem. My problem is one side of the fender nearest the stay clip is rubbing on the wheel. Juiced needs to come up with a better way to install the fenders, it can be as simple as having different types of clips that attach to the front fork and rear clips that attach to the fender. More adjustable type of adapters can be the solution. This fender issue is widespread on the CCS.

I had some rubbing on the front fender. The stay on the right side made contact with the tire. Very lightly, but enough to produce unpleasant noises. I bent the left stay in and the right stay out, a little at a time, until they were evenly spaced. Simple fix. Worked great.

Back