IZIP E3 Zuma Video Review

Tara D.

The E3 Zuma is a simple, no-nonsense beach cruiser. What is really unique about this bike is the "sleep mode" After 30 days it goes into this mode and the only way to bring it back up is to attach a charger to it that re-activates the BMS (battery management system) and then it is usable again.
  • Integrated 48V seat tube battery
  • 500W Currie Electro-Drive® hub system
  • Compact LED display and button pad

I sure couldn't recommend this bike.
Mine has been in the shop for well over a month and they can't figure out why it won't work. Less than a year old and i didn't ride it that frequently- like 2-4 times a month for an hour and a half. Stored, etc. per manuf. recommendations. The Small Planet Bikes folks [local dealer in Dallas] don't even call to provide an update. they had a real mechanic a year ago- current guy seems more like a day rental, take your cash, kindof guy, with very little interest in actual service- but he has assured me he's gone over the issues with the company several times. So, look elsewhere. Emotion bike is working fine- just doesn't have the fatter tires.

I sure couldn't recommend this bike.
Mine has been in the shop for well over a month and they can't figure out why it won't work. Less than a year old and i didn't ride it that frequently- like 2-4 times a month for an hour and a half. Stored, etc. per manuf. recommendations. The Small Planet Bikes folks [local dealer in Dallas] don't even call to provide an update. they had a real mechanic a year ago- current guy seems more like a day rental, take your cash, kindof guy, with very little interest in actual service- but he has assured me he's gone over the issues with the company several times. So, look elsewhere. Emotion bike is working fine- just doesn't have the fatter tires.

Thanks, I was looking at checking that shop out - I may pass on it now.

20160527_120143.jpg
Finally got the bike paid off and rode it home about 10 miles today in the rain. My phone said I averaged about 12 miles an hour (I was not trying to go fast and I haven't really exercised or rode a bike in years) and I still had almost a full charge on my battery when I got home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see if we can keep the iZip group alive shall we? Did a short little 14 mile jaunt today on the 'ol Zuma. Bike performed flawlessly and once again I still had almost a full battery charge when I got home. I'm only using the bike in PAS level one mode and have not been using the throttle override. Also met up with a friend of mine along the way who owns an iZip Dash.

20160528_140703 v2.jpg 20160528_144032 v2.jpg

I would like to add that after getting home today, I opted to remove the battery so that it could be charged inside (due to the heat in the garage). I did notice that some water had gotten into the battery compartment from yesterday's ride, so take that as a word of caution. To be clear, the literature does state that it is recommended that the bike not be ridden in the rain, but it also says not to ride at night either. Not really realistic in either situation in real world riding conditions, especially if you are going to use it as a commuter. It was only a few drops, but of course the bike has also been drying out since yesterday and I don't know if it was worse. In either case, it is not/did not affect the bike at all, but I wouldn't want to chance getting a large quantity of water inside. I'm going to see what I can do to try and rig something up in the battery compartment to see if this can be negated.

Sounds like a nice ride @Donny ! And that is fun that you happened to meet up with your friend! When you get something working to keep the battery compartment dry come post some photos and let us know about it :) Have a great weekend

Sounds like a nice ride @Donny ! And that is fun that you happened to meet up with your friend! When you get something working to keep the battery compartment dry come post some photos and let us know about it :) Have a great weekend

I've already got a few ideas - I need to play around with it some more though.

A few pics of the battery set up on this bike for anyone that is interested. The seat post is integrated into the battery, but can be removed when needed. There are two separate latches that are used to secure both the seat post and the battery when it's inside it's compartment (see close up below). So below you see the seat post with battery, a top/down shot of the battery compartment and where the battery connection is, an angle shot of the battery compartment, and a close up of the top of the battery and the latch that secures it. I did a quick seven miles on it this morning before a monsoon decided to drop on my city and the battery still showed fully charged when I got home (per handlebar mounted display). My longest trip has been just under 15 miles so far and that has only eaten up one bar of five. I'll continue updates.
20160531_065801.jpg 20160531_065807.jpg 20160531_065814.jpg 20160531_075254.jpg

So I figured out where and how the water is getting into the battery compartment. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this was designed the way that it was (I'm sure there is/was a reason for it), but it would seem to be a bad design. Notice the horizontal slit at the top of the battery compartment. Insofar as I can tell, the battery doesn't latch into this or anything, so I'm not really sure what it's there for. I figure I will tape it up for now until I can figure out something else or figure out what it's there for (ventilation??). See pics below.

20160601_094324.jpg 20160601_094344.jpg

So I figured out where and how the water is getting into the battery compartment. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this was designed the way that it was (I'm sure there is/was a reason for it), but it would seem to be a bad design. Notice the horizontal slit at the top of the battery compartment. Insofar as I can tell, the battery doesn't latch into this or anything, so I'm not really sure what it's there for. I figure I will tape it up for now until I can figure out something else or figure out what it's there for (ventilation??). See pics below.

View attachment 6254 View attachment 6255
I'm thinking of purchasing the 2016 model on sale. How is the bike treating you, and is their an available city kit? (Rack/lights)

I'm thinking of purchasing the 2016 model on sale. How is the bike treating you, and is their an available city kit? (Rack/lights)

The bike is doing fantastic (see my next post with pics and ride report) and any rack made for 26" disc brake bikes will work (I should have one within the next few weeks and I'll post it up). Same thing with lights - anything should work as long as they are clip on style. I've found a few racks that have integrated lights and what not, but it's just a personal preference. I also crashed today and the bike held up fine (don't want to talk about *how* I did that though ;) )

Did another 20 mile trip today and the bike held up well (even after I crashed - we will not discuss that as it was the operator's fault and not the bike). The bike only lost one level of battery for the duration of the trip and the trip was done in PAS 1 mode the whole way. This bike can *easily* go more than 35 miles on a charge in PAS 1 mode, I think iZip was being a bit conservative with their estimates. I will also add that this trip was mixed pavement, a bit of dirt/mud/water, and grass. Trip was a combination of mostly flat with a few hills mixed in. Now for some pics:

Battery level before I left (and I know it shows PAS 2, but that's what the bike defaults to and I hadn't changed it yet).

20160608_100236.jpg

Battery after I got home:

20160608_120912.jpg

A little lake that I found.

20160608_104409.jpg

I love finding little lakes! Hope you weren't scraped up to bad!
Not too bad, but I'm definitely sore now. Luckily the bike landed on its left side and because the handlebars are so wide, they kept all the important bits (brakes, motor, etc.) off the ground - I wasn't so lucky :)

Ouch! I'm glad the bike is alright though! At least your fingers are working so you can hang out on here while your scrapes heal! :D
I always like a nice epsom bath for the aches after something like that.

The bike is doing fantastic (see my next post with pics and ride report) and any rack made for 26" disc brake bikes will work (I should have one within the next few weeks and I'll post it up). Same thing with lights - anything should work as long as they are clip on style. I've found a few racks that have integrated lights and what not, but it's just a personal preference. I also crashed today and the bike held up fine (don't want to talk about *how* I did that though ;) )
Great!...I'm very tempted to pick it up. I'm seeing a 2016 on sale with lights/rack/warranty for 1400.....it's between that and a used 2013 stromer st1 wit zero warranty

Great!...I'm very tempted to pick it up. I'm seeing a 2016 on sale with lights/rack/warranty for 1400.....it's between that and a used 2013 stromer st1 wit zero warranty

I'd say get it - I picked mine up just below $1300 (it was already on sale for around 50% off and then they gave me a few hundred more off of that) and they are nearly three grand new. As you can see from what I posted above, I went 20 miles and only lost a bar of battery, so I think iZip's max range is conservative or they figured it on PAS 3 mode or something.

Back