Is this hole supposed to be there?

rattridge

There is a hole in my Juggernaut Ultra’s down tube. I received it about 2 weeks ago and noticed that hole when I assembled it, but figured Biktrix knows best. It seems like after riding it in the slush and salt that quite a bit could get in there. Is there a drain hole in the Ultra motor I’m missing or do I now have a bunch of standing salty water in BB and UltraMotor? Or did Biktrix forget to put a grommet in?
F6D72261-F8BE-4114-8A57-E2D6CF976B7F.jpeg

You might try Amazon for a rubber oval plug. I'd assume water just runs down to the motor and runs out. But a plug would be my preference.

Roshan said over on the FB owners group that it’s for evaporation and draining. He recommended NOT covering it. He says there is sufficient potting and ability for the water to get out. I’ll trust him, but yeah it does make a little concerned.

The way Ultra motors are attached, the wire connections are in the space between the top of the motor and the frame, so that hole would allow anything to get in and slide down onto the those connections, as well as the top of the motor.
If it were my bike, I'd cover the hole, especially if riding in mud or snow or rail. Maybe take the cover off on nice days or if the bike isn't going to be used for a while.
I would NOT trust the potting nor wire sealing of the Chinese made Bafang Ultra, having removed and reinstalled a couple in my time.

Roshan said over on the FB owners group that it’s for evaporation and draining. He recommended NOT covering it. He says there is sufficient potting and ability for the water to get I’ll trust him, but yeah it does make a little concerned.

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 2.27.10 PM.png

Here's a still showing the setup. Note the bike is upside-down on a stand. On the good side the wire connections are towards the back of the motor, away from the front downtube, so maybe not as bad as I initially thought.

View attachment 80295

Here's a still showing the setup. Note the bike is upside-down on a stand. On the good side the wire connections are towards the back of the motor, away from the front downtube, so maybe not as bad as I initially thought.
Thank you very much for the replies. Looks like it still shares the cavity where slushy salty water will / has gotten in. I’m swinging your way. Maybe give it a day to dry out and slap some flex tape on there.

I guess that's just more of Biktrix proprietary engineering to go a long with thier proprietary firmware 🙃
Evaporation? Draining? I'm amazed that he was brazen to state something so obviously bs on FB.

It's there so you can route a dropper post through it.
It also acts as an access when you need to route cables through the down tube.
There is also different styles of down tubes on these bikes. Some come with the opening and others don't. Like I've said on FB, you could cover it but if you do get moisture in there, you should open it up.

I guess that's just more of Biktrix proprietary engineering to go a long with thier proprietary firmware 🙃
Evaporation? Draining? I'm amazed that he was brazen to state something so obviously bs on FB.
Perhaps you should offer some useful insight instead of just trolling every thread there is. But then again, may be you perceive your comment to be useful.

Roshan said over on the FB owners group that it’s for evaporation and draining. He recommended NOT covering it. He says there is sufficient potting and ability for the water to get I’ll trust him, but yeah it does make a little concerned.
My comments verbatum:
1614627758828.png

1614627807038.png

1614627843919.png

Another post about this topic:
1614628827758.png

1614628870672.png

Bottom line: you could leave it or cover it. Several customers have done both. Neither have ill-effects. If you do cover it and have water in there, open up the cover to let moisture out.

Perhaps you should offer some useful insight instead of just trolling every thread there is. But then again, may be you perceive your comment to be useful.
Ok then...
That giant hole with no use is in one of the worst places possible and guaranteed to rot out your bottom bracket area. It will get filled with every piece of grit, gravel, dirt, water and what ever else your tire flings up at it. Leaving it open is probably one of the dumbest things you can do especially since it is right over your motor.
Close it up from day one if you are not using it... and if you are, make sure to use a proper grommet and seal.

Ok then...
That giant hole with no use is in one of the worst places possible and guaranteed to rot out your bottom bracket area. It will get filled with every piece of grit, gravel, dirt, water and what ever else your tire flings up at it. Leaving it open is probably one of the dumbest things you can do especially since it is right over your motor.
Close it up from day one if you are not using it... and if you are, make sure to use a proper grommet and seal.
You could cover it and leave a small breathing pinhole - on the other hand fill it with some seeds nuts and cedar shavings for mice to start a family.

I gotta throw my .02 in here as well......

Bike is a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra correct?

I think Roshan is the Biktrix Rep correct?

Then I have a question for Roshan: Why on earth would you route the dropper post cable through that hole??? If your smart and you need to run a dropper cable you want it to exit the seat tube above the "Motor mount" area and run internally INSIDE the downtube up to the stem area and exit there to a trigger mounted on your bars. Oh and another thing the "Exit hole" at the bottom of the seat tube for the Juggernaut Ultra FS should have the hole drilled at an angle and not straight through like it is. We had to drop the motor and bevel and open up the hole to allow the cable to exit at an angle so it would lay flat above the motor so we could route it up through the downtube and exit closer to the head tube there for the trigger.
One more question for Roshan: How does having an open hole on the lower tube area act as an access when you need to route cables through the down tube? Again you would want to drop the motor and run the cables through there I would think. At least on the Ultra FS anyway. Rear brake, Shifter, dropper, and Main Harness cable all route above the motor and frame as well as the Pos/Neg for the battery.

Now if the motor was a BBSHD I get it because the wires exit the motor from the bottom but the Ultra exits everything out the top.

Don't think anyone was "Trolling" you. What you should of said was yes put a rubber grommet plug in there.

I think we are making a big deal about it. It’s a port to assist in running wires, the motor is sealed from this section of the frame so water isn’t getting in the motor from there. Water gets in through the bottom bracket bearings ( ask me how I know) Anyway I guess it would be nice if the opening wasn’t there but it is, so put a piece of tape over it and call it a day. That’s what I did.

Back