Is Magnum metro + , gravel safe?

ramboia

I have a 22 + mile commute. About 1.5 miles of one of my routes is a hard packed dirt road. Am I pushing my luck with the stock marrathon 700x35 tires.
I would like to use the bike to visit my daughter @ a 17 mile trip and about 9 miles of hard packed dirt.

Has anyone used a wider tire on the Metro+.? If so what size?

Thanks

I have had the Metro + for a month now. My commute is only 7 miles each way. I think you are good on a hard packed dirt road. My concern would not be the surface as much as the smoothness of the road. bumps, dips and potholes would be my concern if you are going 18-20 mph. But the bike is quite stable and I think has an ideal balance of stability while still being efficient with a low rolling resistance.

My thoughts on having a wider tire would be to purchase the Metro which has, wider and very stable tires for what you are considering. I believe they are 26" versus 28" wheels. I looked closely at that model too but opted for the plus because 90% of my riding will be commuting on paved city streets. Other than the tires and wheels the Metro has the same equipment as the metro plus including motor, battery, derailer and brakes. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I love my metro plus.

I've had my metro+ on a mountain bike trail. And my normal commute has some pretty beat up old asphalt sections. You'll be fine.

Thank you for the comments.
Turns out my favorite commute route is using the dirt road. It eliminates some elevation and significant traffic. The bike handles it well.
Luv the Metro plus

Back