Info about SP motors

Marco78

Region
Europe
If you continuously cycle at high speeds and the motor has to continuously give its max. Is this good for the engine?

Please give your opinion on this.

If you continuously cycle at high speeds and the motor has to continuously give its max. Is this good for the engine?

Please give your opinion on this.

Info about SP motors​

What is a 'SP' motor? I've seen DD (direct drive), GD (geared drive) and MD (mid drive) discussed, but I've never heard of SP.

In the automotive world, enthusiasts will say silly things like "the engine loves to rev", "it was made for speed", but you know that it just means it wears out faster. Same for your ebike. It will last longer going slower.

So what. As long as you have fun and can afford to replace things. At least with a speed pedelec, if you're going fast, you're doing half the work,

Sorry i ment a speed pedelec motor.
Whether 15.5, 20 or 28 mph, most of the hardware is the same. Cases and windings might be different. I think the major difference is software. With the motor spinning faster and working harder there will be more wear to things like bearings, belts, internal gears and lubrication breakdown. A direct drive is a great option for speed pedelec. It won't have as much torque as a geared drive or mid drive, but the only internal parts that touch each other are the bearings and races.

@Marco78: Don't worry.
Speed pedelec motors:
  • Are designed for speed
  • Have good ventilation
  • Have thermal protection
I rode my Specialized Turbo Vado S-Pedelec in 100% Turbo mode for 50 minutes, then let it cool down a little, then repeated the ride. Overall 1 h 40 minut of ride with the full assistance. As I use BLEvo application (author: Paolo Diozzi), I could track the battery and motor temperature during the ride and analyse it post-ride.

On a normal day (not excessively warm), the motor temperature reached some +50 C, indicated in yellow (not red). So it is OK to ride S-Pedelec with high assistance fast. Now, if the motor temperature exceeded some dangerous level, S-Pedelec controller would either reduce assistance or cut the motor off. The point is, nobody in this Forum has ever reported an S-Pedelec or Class 3 e-bike mid-drive motor overheating yet. I mean motors from Specialized/Brose, Giant/Yamaha, Bosch. (Shimano doesn't make S-Pedelec motors).

I had a similar ride under -1 C conditions, too. The motor went up to +25 C.

Note: 520 Wh was used from the battery on that 100 minute ride.

Last edited:
Back