I did the unthinkable.....

mfgrep

Region
USA
I finally bought a pair of Black Bibs standard shorts and tried them this week.

I bought a lightweight ebike June 2023....then I bought a full power ebike last month. I rode nearly 2500 miles during the recent 11 months in the same casual everyday shorts that I have always worn to do everything and anything. I don't like to shop. WOW. I realize these are 'lower end' shorts and that there are superior products available...but I wanted to give it a try.
I am price conscious. The difference is unbelievable in terms of comfort. I'm not spending Rapha or Castelli money. Nope.

Today I saw that Spesh is closing out their RBX shorts and so I stopped into my local shop. The Spesh shorts are a bit better than the Black Bibs but likely not by much...and $30 each right now (cheaper than Black Bibs and no shipping costs)....sold. I bought two more. What have I done? I can't believe it myself lol. My last two rides in those shorts were VASTLY better....and best yet?....my bits aren't barking from jostling to/fro. My butt was never really the problem....but my bits...oh my bits.

You heard it here first....I WILL NOT be purchasing branded jerseys and more kit....ABSOLUTELY NOT. It took me a year and 2500 miles to get to the padded bike shorts and I will not go back. You'll still have to tear the Grateful dead T-shirts off of my chest. I'll continue to do it for Jerry.

Last edited:
I finally bought a pair of Black Bibs standard shorts and tried them this week.

I bought a lightweight ebike June 2023....then I bought a full power ebike last month. I rode nearly 2500 miles during the recent 11 months in the same casual everyday shorts that I have always worn to do everything and anything. I don't like to shop. WOW. I realize these are 'lower end' shorts and that there are superior products available...but I wanted to give it a try.
I am price conscious. The difference is unbelievable in terms of comfort. I'm not spending Rapha or Castelli money. Nope.

Today I saw that Spesh is closing out their RBX shorts and so I stopped into my local shop. The Spesh shorts are a bit better than the Black Bibs but likely not by much...and $30 each right now (cheaper than Black Bibs and no shipping costs)....sold. I bought two more. What have I done? I can't believe it myself lol. My last two rides in those shorts were VASTLY better....and best yet?....my bits aren't barking from jostling to/fro. My butt was never really the problem....but my bits...oh my bits.

You heard it here first....I WILL NOT be purchasing branded jerseys and more kit....ABSOLUTELY NOT. It took me a year and 2500 miles to get to the padded bike shorts and I will not go back. You'll still have to tear the Grateful dead T-shirts off of my chest. I'll continue to do it for Jerry.
Thank you for not posting pictures! 😵😜

Have you ever ridden for a long distance?
I consider 30 miles a long distance. I don't have the time or inclination to ride further. I ride 12-20 miles about 5 days per week typically. Mostly for the calorie burn, heart rate benefits and to clear my head.
I'm not entirely opposed to greater distances....but my current mode most suits me and my allotted free-time at the moment. Occasionally on a rare weekend I will prolong the ride into the 30 mile range but this is not my norm.....and if I do prolong the ride there MUST be a donut shop involved.

Last edited:
Changing the seat may save your bits. Have you looked in to different saddles?
I have not. Perhaps I should. I've been using my stock saddles on both Vado SL and Vado. Both are similar geometry although the Vado seat is a bit softer.
I've thought that both seats were surprisingly 'good fits' for me. I'll be honest....lately I have been wondering if I might have a hernia....or the beginnings of a hernia.
Like everything else in my stupid male macho head....I plan to take a 'wait and see' approach lol.

There's also a brand (?) on Amazon called Przewalski (probably a house brand) that sells similarly priced bibs that are similar quality. They also carry a wider range of sizes and have a better return policy than the Black Bibs folks.

I consider 30 miles a long distance. I don't have the time or inclination to ride further. I ride 12-20 miles about 5 days per week typically. Mostly for the calorie burn, heart rate benefits and to clear my head.
I'm not entirely opposed to greater distances....but my current mode most suits me and my allotted free-time at the moment. Occasionally on a rare weekend I will prolong the ride into the 30 mile range but this is not my norm.....and if I do prolong the ride there MUST be a donut shop involved.
It was not to you, Jason 😃

Przewalski
I've only heard of Przewalski Horse 😊

I consider 30 miles a long distance.
I've been using my stock saddles on both Vado SL and Vado. Both are similar geometry although the Vado seat is a bit softer.
I've thought that both seats were surprisingly 'good fits' for me.

Now, seriously.
If one feels discomfort in their butt after 25 miles ridden then something is wrong. As you said, a good 'sporty' saddle combined with a proper e-bike geometry, and properly tuned (front/rear position and tilt) is the best thing an enthusiast cyclist might use if they are pedalling. The firm, narrow saddle causes no thigh chafing, and the butt can release the perspiration. Such saddles are profiled, so the cyclist can ride them in different positions: sometimes with the sit-bones on the saddle's rear or riding on the saddle nose.

A sporty saddle is the best combined with padded shorts or bibs. It is not necessary that the chamois is thick, no. It is vital the chamois remains flat (does not curl), and the shorts/bibs stay in place during the whole ride.

It is not that I would convince anyone to Castelli bibs but I admit those were the game changer for me. The cut is as excellent as I could even not apply the braces! Mine have a thin layer or chamois, and these Castellis are my choice for the races. Anyway, a sporty saddle and chamois are a perfect pairing!

Just note: Bike ultramarathon racers use narrow and firm saddles and chamois. They often ride for 300 miles without stopping!

Now, seriously.
If one feels discomfort in their butt after 25 miles ridden then something is wrong. As you said, a good 'sporty' saddle combined with a proper e-bike geometry, and properly tuned (front/rear position and tilt) is the best thing an enthusiast cyclist might use if they are pedalling. The firm, narrow saddle causes no thigh chafing, and the butt can release the perspiration. Such saddles are profiled, so the cyclist can ride them in different positions: sometimes with the sit-bones on the saddle's rear or riding on the saddle nose.

A sporty saddle is the best combined with padded shorts or bibs. It is not necessary that the chamois is thick, no. It is vital the chamois remains flat (does not curl), and the shorts/bibs stay in place during the whole ride.

It is not that I would convince anyone to Castelli bibs but I admit those were the game changer for me. The cut is as excellent as I could even not apply the braces! Mine have a thin layer or chamois, and these Castellis are my choice for the races. Anyway, a sporty saddle and chamois are a perfect pairing!

Just note: Bike ultramarathon racers use narrow and firm saddles and chamois. They often ride for 300 miles without stopping!
I really wasn't 'uncomfortable' before using casual shorts regularly. My butt...no problems. No chafing. No butt pain.
I bought the bib shorts simply because my junk was getting sore. Like I said...it feels like I might have the beginnings of a hernia....but I'm no expert.
My mileage does not require a lot of exclusive kit. I was simply surprised at the overall comfort of riding with the shorts w/ chamois.
Sure I look like a turd wrapped in sausage casing....but man....it was nice. My junk problem is not cured....but I'm not banging my junk on the front
pointy edge of the seat each/every time I rise to crank hills and fall back onto the saddle. To my surprise I really see the benefits here.
I really don't think the saddle is my issue. I find the saddle to be quite comfortable overall and always did. Next try is that Assos cream or similar.
Mind you....I'm not a big guy....5'6" and as of today about 143lbs.

Edit: By 'not a big guy' I meant.....well.....you know damn well what I meant....so stop snickering lol.

Last edited:
@mfgrep: Not that I want to make you buy another pair of bibs but you need to listen to my story :) Let me start with my Specialized Bridge Sport saddle on Vado SL is perfecly fit to my body.

On last Saturday, I started my first ride at 6:24 am. I started in the gravel race at 9:39 am, and spent 5 hours 47 minutes net in the saddle. I returned home at 1:30 am on Sunday. I rode for 87 miles on the day, with the total pedalling time of 7 hours and 31 minutes.

I have never thought of my butt during my rides! Well, I wore Castelli bibs if that matters :)

A good day to you!

Last edited:
@mfgrep: Not that I want to make you buy another pair of bibs but you need to listen to my story :) Let me start with my Specialized Bridge Sport saddle on Vado SL is perfecly fit to my body.

On last Saturday, I started my first ride at 6:24 am. I started in the gravel race at 9:39 am, and spent 5 hours 47 minutes net in the saddle. I returned home at 1:30 am on Sunday. I rode for 87 miles on the day, with the total pedalling time of 7 hours and 31 minutes.

I have never thought of my butt during my rides! Well, I wore Castelli bibs if that matters :)

A good day to you!

At this point I am not buying Assos, Rapha, or Castelli simply due to price(s).
I did buy two additional pairs of the Specialized RBX bib shorts last week on sale for $30each.....but I plan to return them.
The chamois doesn't fit my properly. So I ordered another pair of Black Bibs but this time I did buy the full bibs with suspenders.
I now see how bibs would be superior given the lack of a waistband.

I'll throw this out there: If any forumite would like to buy me a pair of Assos, Rapha, or Castelli bibs so that I can compare the quality to my generic and cheap Black Bibs I would be happy to accept lol!

I forgot to mention my Castellis have the braces (suspenders) and a surprisingly thin layer of chamois!

I don't like the funny looks I get when I stop at a bar for a beer while wearing bibs.

Instead, I use padded underwear and cargo shorts. I also like the large pockets to carry wallet, keys smartphone, etc. Leaving these items on the bike is asking for trouble should the bike get stolen.

I don't like the funny looks I get when I stop at a bar for a beer while wearing bibs.

Instead, I use padded underwear and cargo shorts. I also like the large pockets to carry wallet, keys smartphone, etc. Leaving these items on the bike is asking for trouble should the bike get stolen.
1718624592281.png

You would feel very alone here :) Where I live, cycling is natural for many people, and nothing weird for the rest of the populace. You get into a store, cafe or a restaurant bar, and everyone around is aware you are a cyclist, what's wrong with that?

A proper cycling jersey has at least 3 pockets at the back. I usually keep the keys and my wallet in the left pocket (the wallet only off the bike!), the smartphone resides in the centre pocket, and my cigs and lighter are in the right one :) What you are wearing is the MTB apparel but again, MTBers do not pedal very much :) They do not spend much time in the saddle either! :D

View attachment 177664
You would feel very alone here :) Where I live, cycling is natural for many people, and nothing weird for the rest of the populace. You get into a store, cafe or a restaurant bar, and everyone around is aware you are a cyclist, what's wrong with that?

A proper cycling jersey has at least 3 pockets at the back. I usually keep the keys and my wallet in the left pocket (the wallet only off the bike!), the smartphone resides in the centre pocket, and my cigs and lighter are in the right one :) What you are wearing is the MTB apparel but again, MTBers do not pedal very much :) They do not spend much time in the saddle either! :D
If I lived in Europe, or rode with a group, I would dress like the others. Sadly, I'm in the US, and mostly ride alone in places that don't see many bikers.

Back