Hydra as a commuter?

Looks nice and clean, everything in easy reach.

How would you rate ride comfort? Are you in a fairly aggressive riding position?
I could not take those hard round grips. I went with Ergon GP5. I have some form of 'comfort' grips on all my bikes and have used them for years. :)

I also took off 2 inches of bar each end. The stock bar was just too wide.

Looks nice and clean, everything in easy reach.

How would you rate ride comfort? Are you in a fairly aggressive riding position?
I need to spend some extended time on it to really speak to comfort but I don’t anticipate any issues. It’s a mountain bike so I don’t expect it to feel like a road bike. All the riding I’ve done so far is with the rear shock locked and that will change this weekend. I recently rode the Jeep bike that QuietKat makes and this feels significantly lighter and more maneuverable to me.

I could not take those hard round grips. I went with Ergon GP5. I have some form of 'comfort' grips on all my bikes and have used them for years. :)

Agree, going with ergon grips and salsa bend bar to get a little bit more upright. My aim is to not be super hunched over.

I had ordered the GA2 grips but they must have been unavailable. I’m definitely going to change these out. I’ve got the GP5 grips on my other bike and am considering them as well.

I had ordered the GA2 grips but they must have been unavailable. I’m definitely going to change these out. I’ve got the GP5 grips on my other bike and am considering them as well.
I use the GP5s in a probably unorthodox manner. I twist the horns straight up and use that orientation as an alternate position for my hands when they need a break and my back wants to be straight up for a minute. Can't do this for long and only in a safe riding area as it puts my fingers a long way from the break levers.

Wonder how the Hydra would look with 27.5X2.4 street tires? Since we are talking commuter here a slightly thinner tire with a street tread would decrease rolling resistance and improve performance and range.

Are you making your orange crush Hydra like this?
See picture and description for commuter Ebike. Those are street tyres, maybe 27.5 x 2.6?
No, Orange Crush is my trail bike. I’d do another complete build strictly for the street.

Any trail experiences you would enjoy sharing Vinny?
I really haven’t done a full trail shake down ride on the bike yet because I’ve been waiting for upgrade parts and the replacement drivetrain parts. Now that the bike is pretty much sorted once the weather cooperates (ie it’s not disgustingly hot and humid) I’ll take it for a good long trail ride.

Thanks for sharing the info on Johnny watts SUV bike tires. I kinda like that description for the Hydra," SUV Bike ".

This is what everyone wants, tires the work well on and off road along with the rest of the bike, full suspension, large battery, suspended rack, nice fenders, its why R&M is charging $10-12k and there is a waiting list.

Okay, I was starting to get envious with your bike. I want tires for street application too. Sometimes I like to go Waikiki and Chinatown ,37 mile ride back and forth at about mid point the bike paths end. I have to ride on the side of the road, there aren't really designated bike lanes.
A fast rolling set of tires would be a great addition for the Hydra so I can flow with traffic. It's usually 25-35 mph. But I'm going the frugal route and get a separate wheel set. For now I ordered Johnny watts. The nobby nic on my Bulls are great but wears out fast specially the back.
I could do a second wheelset and save some money but everything about my bike is setup for trail riding. For a street only bike I’d go with lower level components like the standard Mara rear shock and Mattoc suspension fork. I‘d stick with the stock stem, handlebars, crank arms and pedals. Brakes would be Magura MT5E’s with 203mm rotors. Seat would be more comfort oriented than what I’m using on Orange Crush. Derailleur, chain and shifter would be Shimano XT with a larger 46T front ring. Motor would be the 2300w version. Wheels and tires would be Spengle Tri Spoke carbon with Schwalbe Super Moto 27.5X2.4 tires. Would love for @pushkar to develop a larger battery for the Hydra for long street cruises.

27.5 x 2.80 available to order. The description says it's for SUV bikes. I'm ordering a set for mine price is good too, $50.
Wattwagons emailed me yesterday my Hydra order is in paint process. It will probably arrive August. I hope.
The reason why I'm all over the forum today, mainly looking for a Hydra with a functional kickstand. Where I live, bike racks are usually out of plain sight. I like to park my bike where I can easily see it for example when going to the supermarket i would park it near the entrance.
Thanks for sharing the info on Johnny watts SUV bike tires. I kinda like that description for the Hydra," SUV Bike ".
For reference, when did you order your Hydra? I would assume mine should be headed in for paint since I ordered it about 5 weeks ago... considering the site says all of the components are in stock at this point.

View attachment 91308

So for those interested. I just got my Gearoop CS-056 kickstand that attaches to the pedal. Thinking about it now not sure how wise it is to put a kickstand on a pedal thats a middrive. Also pedal strike on trails may be an issue. I will probably only use it if I am unable to lean it against something. In any case, it was simple to attach, easy to to use, and no affect when pedaling.
@Jayaznpride curious how this kickstand has been working for you? Anything to add after using it for a couple months?

Back