Hydra as a commuter?

VT

What? Are you saying Hydra doesn't have a kickstand. My Bulls bike has one as standard issue. You're right it's a must have. Wattwagons probably have some specific for the Hydra.

I'm very familiar with WW commuter options. I signed up for (and paid in full) the Helios about 15 months ago. There is a bit more of a delay on that now so my plan is to outfit the Hydra as a commuter and swap frames to Helios when that becomes available. This will be my very first ebike and actually the first bike I've ever purchased for myself. I've been riding an 80s Cannondale road bike handed down to me. So I'm pretty anxious to get something to ride sooner rather than later 😎

Anyone with a Hydra able to try confirm the tetrarack will fit?
1625055977749.png

Yeah, I converted the order over .

I went with Hydra over UC pro titanium for the following reasons:
1. Cheaper
2. Integrated battery
3. Custom color (love northern lights, h-315)
4. Full suspension will make for a nice, plush ride.

I'll either sell the Hydra frame once I swap to Helios or slowly build it out so I have a mini stable of WW.

1. Cheaper
2. Integrated battery

I'll either sell the Hydra frame once I swap to Helios or slowly build it out so I have a mini stable of WW.
I'm mulling over the same choice as you. I already have an e-gravel bike, which works great for the minor trails and gravel roads that I ride on, but I like the looks and price of the Hydra compared to the Commuter Pro.
I'm just not sure if the Hydra can be turned into a decent commuter bike. A rack and fenders are something that is a 'must have' for me to go with the Hydra.
Decisions, decisions.....

On another note, has anyone heard from @pushkar lately? I sent him a PM and email on Saturday morning and still haven't heard back from him.

I'm just not sure if the Hydra can be turned into a decent commuter bike. A rack and fenders are something that is a 'must have' for me to go with the Hydra.
Based on the info in this thread I think it has some potential so I'm giving it a go. The Tetra rack looks like a good fit if you only need to carry a lighter load (10-20 lbs). Also looks like there are some good options for relatively sleek fenders. The main drawback for me is the loss of belt, but it looks like that is coming in the near-ish future for Hydra.

For the price difference between the UC Pro Titanium and Hydra, you can come close buying a Helios frame when available. The difference could likely be made up (and then some) by selling the Hydra frame.

1. Cheaper
2. Integrated battery

Did the exact same thing and oddly the exact color too…. But I plan on owning both the Hydra and the New Helios at some point

Last edited:
I've reread this thread again and I still can't decide between the Commuter Pro and the Hydra.
Here's my pros and cons for each. Feedback is welcome.

Commuter Pro
Pro

Titanium frame is very nice
The bike is a fast commuter with fenders and a rack

Con

$1500 to $1700 more than the Hydra
I'm not crazy about the external battery and wires running outside the frame. Looks a bit DIY

Hydra
Pro

Looks similar to the Helios (hidden battery and carbon frame)
Full suspension
Considerably cheaper than the CP

Con
Can be turned into a semi-commuter, but it's still a mountain bike at heart.
The MTB fenders and rack are okay, but nowhere near as nice as the fenders/rack on the CP

Is the bike geared to cruise at the same speeds as the CP?
For commuting would the CP be considerably faster?

Has anyone been in contact with Pushkar in the last 5 or 6 days?

Is the bike geared to cruise at the same speeds as the CP?
For commuting would the CP be considerably faster?
Fairly certain I've seen shots of people pulling mid 30's with their Hydra.

The MTB fenders and rack are okay, but nowhere near as nice as the fenders/rack on the CP
Yes this coild be a deal breaker if you need to carry a lot of weight. Recommended max on the rack I'm looking at is 25 lbs. Luckily that far exceeds my needs. Also agree on fenders, MTB fenders don't look as clean.
Con
$1500 to $1700 more than the Hydra
I'm not crazy about the external battery and wires running outside the frame. Looks a bit DIY
This pretty much sums up the core reasons behind going Hydra for me. I very much dislike the exposed battery asthetically.

At the end of the day, if you want a more propper commuter that savings can buy you a Helios frame, when available.

@BruceBrown can you give us a bit of an experience report on the Kindernay?
  • Do you find yourself mostly switching 3 gears at a time?
  • How does the 3 at a time switching feels , does it requires a lot of press, is it precise...?
  • Do you find yourself switching gears often, or are mostly staying middle gear?
  • Anything else you feel like sharing on things you like and things you don't like about it ?

Thanks

@BruceBrown can you give us a bit of an experience report on the Kindernay?
  • Do you find yourself mostly switching 3 gears at a time?
  • How does the 3 at a time switching feels , does it requires a lot of press, is it precise...?
  • Do you find yourself switching gears often, or are mostly staying middle gear?
  • Anything else you feel like sharing on things you like and things you don't like about it ?

Thanks
I’m still getting used to it but yes, shifting 3 at a time is easy. Getting used to the shifting is not a big deal at all. I was skeptical of two shifters but it’s no big deal. To go 3 it’s just a bit of a deeper push and you get tactile feedback. I’ve actually found myself staying in the higher gears and using different eco modes so far. When you get in low gears with any pedal assist it just feels like clown pedaling. I’ve not had it off-road yet so everything I’m speaking of has been on pavement. The rain is moving out tonight and I plan to hit some singletrack this weekend.

Looks nice and clean, everything in easy reach.

How would you rate ride comfort? Are you in a fairly aggressive riding position?

Back