How to Replace Pace 500/350 Chainring, Crankset & Bottom Bracket Bearing

robrob

I recently replaced the stock 44T chainring on my Pace 500 with a 48T oval chainring to raise the gearing and even out the pedal power pulse. I had to replace the crankset with an industry standard 130 BCD crankset with 70mm crank arms. While I had the crank arms off I went ahead and replaced the bottom bracket cartridge bearing since the bike had around 1500 miles on it. Details of the parts and install are here: https://robrobinette.com/Aventon_Pace_500_Maintenance.htm#Crank_&_Chainring

Pace_500_Oval_Chainring.jpg

Pace_500_with_Oval_Chainring.jpg

Last edited:
Aventon says the chainring (large front chain sprocket) is a 42T (42 teeth) but mine was actually a 44T. My original chainring did not have a size stamped on it--I had to actually count the teeth. Before doing this upgrade you should verify how many teeth your chainring actually has because you may want to go with an even larger chainring.

I put a 53T front sprocket on mine. If I was to replace it again I'd go up even further, just need a little more speed. :) I also replaced the rear cassette so my lowest gear is still about the same as it was originally.

I put a 53T front sprocket on mine. If I was to replace it again I'd go up even further, just need a little more speed. :) I also replaced the rear cassette so my lowest gear is still about the same as it was originally.
Did you have to go with a longer than stock chain? Do you have the details on your cassette?

I put a 11-42t cassette on. I had to add a few links to the oem chain due to the larger sprockets on both front and back. Also, I needed to add an extender to the rear derailleur. I went with a cheap one off of Amazon, but had the bolt shatter on me. Might be worth buying the Goat Link one for $20.

Is this the Goat Link you are recommending? There is also a shorter "Road Link" available:
https://amzn.to/3n2pmiN

It is, but I'm not sure which one you need. At the time they were out of stock, so went with an off brand. I bought another brand when the first one broke, but fixed the first one with a bolt from the hardware store before it arrived. It hasn't given me any trouble since, so the replacement is still sitting in my bike bag. I'll try to post the links to the ones I bought later today.

Thanks e, it looks like the Goat Link's length is closer to the one you're using right now compared to the shorter Road Link.

After reading this and looking for single chainwheel cranksets, I decided to go a different way. I bought an Altus 48/38/28 crankset, an Altus front derailleur, some shifter cable, a frame stop, and a friction shifter. I adjusted the derailleur so only two of the three chainwheels are selectable and mounted the friction shifter on the handlebar inboard of the controller switch. Now I have a bit taller gearing and way lower should I ever have an electrical malfunction and have to pedal home unassisted. The chain line is a bit off. May put a narrower BB on it but it rides OK provided you don’t try use the lowest gear in back with the big chainwheel

Last edited:
Back