How should go about this

kevinmccune

Region
USA
Yesterday when I was almost through the trail phase of my 16 mile loop( thanks trailbikes) I got into the loose crap generated by the trail bikes and Ka-slam over I went on my head and elbows and actually sore most parts, surprised I didn't break my nose( don't know if the helmet helped or not) did skin my nose a bit, well when I picked myself and surveyed the damage the dial and so forth were broken off the cheap "tourney apparatus" the handlebar was turned perpendicular to the front wheel( believe I am going to quit that road) finally got it back in the forks of a tree and was able to turn it back 90 degrees at that time I wasnt very concerned about being gentle on the bike, the most other damage I could see was paint and gouges on the brake levers, my question is should I replace the stock "Tourney" thumb a migig with something better( 7SPD I ALWAYS LEAVE IT IN HIGH ANYWAY)?( didnt go to the Dr, because had an appointment today any how- didn't seem to break anything-No.3 crash on that road what do you all think just repair the dial thingy and call it good( was pretty tempted to get rid of this fattire bike anyway-( got it about half off real powerful it was refurbished0

Glad to hear you got out of it with just a scrape on your nose! Just getting fully recovered from some badly bruised ribs here - after about 3 months!

I think you're talking about the "shifter". It's mounted to the handlebars on the RH side, right?

I would suggest you replace it with one identical to it (Amazon is a good source). If you don't, there is no assurance of compatibility with the derailleur. The "pull" for each gear can change enough from one model shifter to another where you will never get the wrong one dialed into your derailleur.

You have a thing against using periods? Is a "dial thingy" a gear indicator? My BMC doesn't have any kind of gear indicator, and I can still ride it. LOL

You have a thing against using periods? Is a "dial thingy" a gear indicator? My BMC doesn't have any kind of gear indicator, and I can still ride it. LOL
I use periods when I deem appropriate, we are not grammar Nazis on this forum( for the most part)

Glad to hear you got out of it with just a scrape on your nose! Just getting fully recovered from some badly bruised ribs here - after about 3 months!

I think you're talking about the "shifter". It's mounted to the handlebars on the RH side, right?

I would suggest you replace it with one identical to it (Amazon is a good source). If you don't, there is no assurance of compatibility with the derailleur. The "pull" for each gear can change enough from one model shifter to another where you will never get the wrong one dialed into your derailleur.
Thank you I will. Glad your ribs are better( takes longer as we age) the Dr said just leave the wound uncovered at night, I also put a nice scrape on the display.

That was your third crash there? Maybe think about slowing down?
Strangely enough, this was the fat tire bike that I generally do not use and I thought the 4 inch tire in the front had more grip,I guess I will let the trail bikes have the "Eastern Trail)

Kevin
Question for you?
What was your tire pressure in the tires?
Could that make or break your problems in this area/conditions?
Tia,
Don

I use periods when I deem appropriate, we are not grammar Nazis on this forum( for the most part)
Technically punctuation is not grammar and the reason I mentioned it is that reading your post is more difficult without a single period being used in 6 lines and it makes reading it a bit challenging I consider it a courtesy but if being called on it upsets you then courtesy doesn't concern you really a nice move there with the name calling real nice

Last edited:
Suggest you buy and install one of these shifter with display. Whole $24. https://www.modernbike.com/shimano-sl-tx50-tourney-7-speed-right--left-sis-thumb-shifter-set
If you can wait a couple of days shipping is ~$8. Not the $20 for 12 hour service from Amazon.
A Hicks: I would suggest you replace it with one identical to it (Amazon is a good source).
I haven't bought from Amazon since they increased shipping cost by 250%.
If you buy one of these helmets with chin guard https://www.modernbike.com/fox-racing-rampage-dh-helmet-mako-yellow
costing $129 you won't skin your nose, break your chin, or pay shipping. Make sure both items are in stock the day you buy, or you get the shifter separately with separate freight charge.

Technically punctuation is not grammar and the reason I mentioned it is that reading your post is more difficult without a single period being used in 6 lines and it makes reading it a bit challenging I consider it a courtesy but if being called on it upsets you then courtesy doesn't concern you really a nice move there with the name calling real nice
Naa! thats alright. this is a different keyboard and sometimes the omission is intentional, so grammar on!
Kevin
Question for you?
What was your tire pressure in the tires?
Could that make or break your problems in this area/conditions?
Tia,
Don
Well, I had 20 in the front and I had aired the back down a bit to improve the ride which could have contributed so yes you are probably correct.

Suggest you buy and install one of these shifter with display. Whole $24. https://www.modernbike.com/shimano-sl-tx50-tourney-7-speed-right--left-sis-thumb-shifter-set
If you can wait a couple of days shipping is ~$8. Not the $20 for 12 hour service from Amazon.

I haven't bought from Amazon since they increased shipping cost by 250%.
If you buy one of these helmets with chin guard https://www.modernbike.com/fox-racing-rampage-dh-helmet-mako-yellow
costing $129 you won't skin your nose, break your chin, or pay shipping. Make sure both items are in stock the day you buy, or you get the shifter separately with separate freight charge.
Well, I finally came up with a helmet and shifter, thanks for the advice, since I am a "prime" member no shipping cost on amazon delivery day. Let Me ask a silly question, how did this happen? I ordered something from Amazon and got it the same day a couple of years back.

Prime member here as well. Between the wife and I, we can easily justify the expense of Prime membership. I've never received anything "same day" but "next day" is offered on some things.

I think a lot of delivery times are going to be dependent on your proximity to one of their gigantic fulfillment centers as much as anything else. I honestly don't know how they make enough to survive on with the price of some of their items combined with the kind of delivery costs they must have....

We're in the 'burbs, just north and west of Detroit. I think we might have 2-3 giant fulfillment centers within 60 miles. One is maybe 15 miles....

When I say giant, think 20 acres or more under roof, sometimes 2 story....

Well, I finally came up with a helmet and shifter, thanks for the advice, since I am a "prime" member no shipping cost on amazon delivery day. Let Me ask a silly question, how did this happen? I ordered something from Amazon and got it the same day a couple of years back.
I live 3 miles from 2 enormous Amazon warehouses. Amazon deleted UPS/USPS options on shipping when they started their own delivery service. They also increased shipping cost to non-members to 50% above surface UPS and 100% above USPS first class (for < 1 lb envelopes). I don't need any stupid internet delivered soap operas for my $149 a year. I also don't like the way their employees drive when they commute to/from work. Madmen crossing hills of country roads at 70 mph (Salem road, Clark County In). I had to quit using Salem road or High Jackson road. There have been bicyclist deaths on Salem Road.

I live 3 miles from 2 enormous Amazon warehouses. Amazon deleted UPS/USPS options on shipping when they started their own delivery service. They also increased shipping cost to non-members to 50% above surface UPS and 100% above USPS first class (for < 1 lb envelopes). I don't need any stupid internet delivered soap operas for my $149 a year. I also don't like the way their employees drive when they commute to/from work. Madmen crossing hills of country roads at 70 mph (Salem road, Clark County In). I had to quit using Salem road or High Jackson road. There have been bicyclist deaths on Salem Road.
I share my "Prime " and it works out pretty good, I actually liked a few of their series. The only delivery I get from Amazon is via UPS or(UGH) USPS( I always try to avoid those clowns/.

Back