How Important are Disc Brakes for a Heavy Rider?

Now that I got my RAD mini I can report that the mechanical disk brakes work just fine and maybe too good if you aren't careful. I'm no lightweight either, so you should be good with whatever you get.

A few reviews and write-ups I've come across mention the biggest value of hydraulic brakes is for heavier riders.
Yes?
No?
How important are they if you are over, say, 250lbs.
(I'm down to 262 from 276... so far -- work in progress!)[/QUOTE

Gee, I love the hydraulic discs, but they need to be used in a prudent fashion if you want to avoid face plants & broken spokes. A couple months
before I ordered My CCS I weighed 337. Since then I got down to 240, a 100 pds of which 25 were lost muscle mass. I´ve put back 15 pds of
muscle & now feel like going bear hunting with a switch. So yeah, if you´re a big guy, these brakes are great.

A few reviews and write-ups I've come across mention the biggest value of hydraulic brakes is for heavier riders.
Yes?
No?
How important are they if you are over, say, 250lbs.
(I'm down to 262 from 276... so far -- work in progress!)[/QUOTE

Gee, I love the hydraulic discs, but they need to be used in a prudent fashion if you want to avoid face plants & broken spokes. A couple months
before I ordered My CCS I weighed 337. Since then I got down to 240, a 100 pds of which 25 were lost muscle mass. I´ve put back 15 pds of
muscle & now feel like going bear hunting with a switch. So yeah, if you´re a big guy, these brakes are great.

Back