How are you carrying your extra battery?

carsonjones

Brand new to ebikes (Synapse Neo 1) and am looking forward to doing some longer rides (200 km +). For those carrying an extra battery (or more) I'm curios to know how you're doing it (specifics welcome) as well as any tips or advice you might have.

My setup uses a Bosch Powertube (500wh) and I'm leaning towards using a frame bag along the top tube (possibly the Topeak Midloader L).

UPDATE: I've got the Topeak Midloader (L) set up on the bike and it's great. I'm somewhat concerned with the zipper failing while on the road but I'll deal with that as I go. The point is, for me, the idea works well. I'll be taking this setup out for a 100 km plus ride in the next few weeks and will report back with my findings / observations. Since the midloader isn't 100% waterproof I'll be putting the spare battery in a 8L ultralight dry bag that will serve to keep out any water and dirt. There's additional room in the Midloader as well which is nice 👍.

Attachments

• 20200929_114551.jpg
    20200929_114551.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 20200929_114609.jpg
    20200929_114609.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
Brand new to ebikes (Synapse Neo 1) and am looking forward to doing some longer rides (200 km +). For those carrying an extra battery (or more) I'm curios to know how you're doing it (specifics welcome) as well as any tips or advice you might have.

My setup uses a Bosch Powertube (500wh) and I'm leaning towards using a frame bag along the top tube (possibly the Topeak Midloader L).
If you can fit your battery with that top tube Topeak bag, I'd go with that. My eMTB has a top tube that won't allow that, or else I'd use that exact bag. I can't make that work so I use a rear pannier bag to carry a spare pack. It works, but I'd prefer the weight on the top tube if I could.

Anyone using the Ortlieb E-Mate REAR PANNIER ?

Anyone using the Ortlieb E-Mate REAR PANNIER ?

Yea they work great for my yamaha battery

Just finalized the basic configuration today. Works really well!

I'm not too confident in the quality of the Topeak Midloader. I'll definitely be upgrading the frame bag I'll be using for the extra battery to a much higher quality bag. Topeak have used what I would consider a cheap zipper that I think will break after not a lot of use (we'll see). I have posted photos of the setup in the original post (up top).

I'm not too confident in the quality of the Topeak Midloader. I'll definitely be upgrading the frame bag I'll be using for the extra battery to a much higher quality bag. Topeak have used what I would consider a cheap zipper that I think will break after not a lot of use (we'll see). I have posted photos of the setup in the original post (up top).
That's discouraging to hear. I usually like Topeak's offerings.

Spare fits snugly on the shelf mounted under the top of the rear rack. It also serves as a fender.

Attachments

• PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 412
Back