Himiway Cruiser review: a cheap yet fast and long-range fat tire e-bike!

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Here's a review by Mical Toll on Electrek... looks like a good deal for a Class 3 Cruiser. ;)

Himiway Cruiser tech specs

• Motor: 750 W geared rear hub motor
  • Top speed: 45 km/h (28 mph) after unlocking
  • Range: 55-96 km (35-60 mi) depending on user input
  • Battery: 48 V 17.5 Ah (840 Wh)
  • Weight: 32.6 kg (72 lb)
  • Max load: 159 kg (350 lb)
  • Frame: 6061 aluminum
  • Brakes: Tektro Aires mechanical disc brakes on 180 mm rotors
  • Tires: 26″ x 4″ Kenda fat tires
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, wattmeter, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, odometer, tripmeter, front and rear LED lights with large headlight, bell in brake lever, 5 PAS speed settings, half-twist throttle, USB charging port, includes rear rack (wooden) and front/rear fenders, front of the bike has mounts for Rad Power Bikes-style accessories
With the Himiway Cruiser though, this bike seems to nail all three quite nicely. A 28 mph (45 km/h) e-bike that can get 35-60 miles (55-96 km) of range for just $1,399 — not bad!

Given all the problems with timely delivery, getting honest information after the sale, and lack of responsiveness in reports by numerous buyers here on the forum, this looks like a deal that is too good to be true because it is not really true. Use the search function and check out what prior buyers have been experiencing. Make sure that is a road you want to ride down.

Given all the problems with timely delivery, getting honest information after the sale, and lack of responsiveness in reports by numerous buyers here on the forum, this looks like a deal that is too good to be true because it is not really true.
Use the search function and check out what prior buyers have been experiencing. Make sure that is a road you want to ride down.
A Valid point regarding real-world customer feedback on EBR... as always, buyer beware. ;)

See Micah's closing review comments below:

I don’t expect to get the same level of support as going with a giant company like Rad Power Bikes but that’s part of why you can save money on an e-bike like this while getting more speed and power than the competition. Everything in life is a series of tradeoffs. And the Himiway Cruiser is no exception. But the tradeoffs seem reasonable in exchange for the performance boost and pretty-darn-good feel of the bike. So I chalk it up in the win category.

I think the key value proposition for someone like Micah depends on the rider's willingness and ability to take care of their own bike and fix any problems that come along with minimal support.

Someone with no tools, no bike stand and no know-how would soon be frustrated and looking for lots of help on this forum, boning up on youtube how-to videos or looking for a new bike (and maybe all of the above in that sequence).

I think the key value proposition for someone like Micah depends on the rider's willingness and ability to take care of their own bike and fix any problems that come along with minimal support.

Someone with no tools, no bike stand and no know-how would soon be frustrated and looking for lots of help on this forum, boning up on youtube how-to videos or looking for a new bike (and maybe all of the above in that sequence).
Micah wrote the book on DIY EBikes and Batteries so he probably has a completely different frame of reference than the average rider. ;)

Micah Toll is a personal electric vehicle enthusiast, battery nerd, and author of the Amazon #1 bestselling books
DIY Lithium Batteries, DIY Solar Power, The Ultimate DIY Ebike Guide, and Electric Motorcycles 2019.

Last edited:
$1400 seems like a good value for another bicycle/eparts offering. It doesn't seem like a steal. I am well under 1400 on my 26" Ecotric with added fenders, front suspension and rack. Oh and my Brooks Flyer. I think if you get defective parts ( that usually show rather quickly 1st 100mi) if done in the first 30 days, Ecotric will work with you. Longer perhaps, but I believe 30 is the official trial period. Btw Ecotric is the name of the company that sells under that brand, no doubt the same frame is used on other eParts offerings.

Yea, Micah wrote the book on DIY EBikes and Batteries so he probably has a completely different frame of reference than the average rider. ;)

Micah Toll is a personal electric vehicle enthusiast, battery nerd, and author of the Amazon #1 bestselling books
DIY Lithium Batteries, DIY Solar Power, The Ultimate DIY Ebike Guide, and Electric Motorcycles 2019.

I had Micah's book and honestly, I considered it a waste of money, Micah never seemed to like regen or PAS, for example,I paid full price for this book and gave it to a Friend.
I think my biggest problem is I do not have the financial resources that a lot of these you tubers have, Micah gets to galavant around the globe some of the others seem supported by their wives or live in Moms basement, some people will throw down a sizable chunk of cash on a certain bike and some people come by their money by the hardest and are dedicated to their hobby.
I am not intending to throw off on anyone here, its just some honest observations I have made, before I could have never have thought about these things financial or practicality wise( never had the time or money-location not ideal either) My best 50 mile away bike shop sells "specialized" bikes and they go for triple of the amount I could afford to pay, there doesn't even seem to be any good used bikes for sale either( who would want to pay retail for a used big box bike?)
I still havent gave up hope to get some bike trails going closer, for general riding and MTBS, maybe its beating a dead horse, when the "gentry" around here have a bike event, the roads are closed down and screw the locals, there have been so many crazy things done lately, to be frank, it is crazy or amazing( take your pick) at the end of the Day I have realized people like Kyle Chittuck, Micah and others have a product to sale hopefully they can make a living from, no one has ever left a new bike at my doorstop to evaluate, the whole affair is starting to get a little long in the tooth to me.The good news is this, we are finally starting to see some "trickle down' as the market becomes flooded and "good enough" obsolete parts are starting to become more affordable.( Think I am going to start hunting "Bigfoot" some people seem to actually get paid to do things like this or maybe chase UFOs).
Color me "Blue".

$1400 seems like a good value for another bicycle/eparts offering. It doesn't seem like a steal. I am well under 1400 on my 26" Ecotric with added fenders, front suspension and rack. Oh and my Brooks Flyer. I think if you get defective parts ( that usually show rather quickly 1st 100mi) if done in the first 30 days, Ecotric will work with you. Longer perhaps, but I believe 30 is the official trial period. Btw Ecotric is the name of the company that sells under that brand, no doubt the same frame is used on other eParts offerings.
Funny thing I got an "ecotric" for my daughter on Her BD and to be honest I like this a whole lot more than the similar much promoted 48v folder that the other company offered( I got mine put 8 miles on it and sold it- there was something about that LIttle FTB that I didn't like)

I had Micah's book and honestly, I considered it a waste of money, Micah never seemed to like regen or PAS, for example,I paid full price for this book and gave it to a Friend.
I think my biggest problem is I do not have the financial resources that a lot of these you tubers have, Micah gets to galavant around the globe some of the others seem supported by their wives or live in Moms basement, some people will throw down a sizable chunk of cash on a certain bike and some people come by their money by the hardest and are dedicated to their hobby.
I am not intending to throw off on anyone here, its just some honest observations I have made, before I could have never have thought about these things financial or practicality wise( never had the time or money-location not ideal either) My best 50 mile away bike shop sells "specialized" bikes and they go for triple of the amount I could afford to pay, there doesn't even seem to be any good used bikes for sale either( who would want to pay retail for a used big box bike?)
I still havent gave up hope to get some bike trails going closer, for general riding and MTBS, maybe its beating a dead horse, when the "gentry" around here have a bike event, the roads are closed down and screw the locals, there have been so many crazy things done lately, to be frank, it is crazy or amazing( take your pick) at the end of the Day I have realized people like Kyle Chittuck, Micah and others have a product to sale hopefully they can make a living from, no one has ever left a new bike at my doorstop to evaluate, the whole affair is starting to get a little long in the tooth to me.The good news is this, we are finally starting to see some "trickle down' as the market becomes flooded and "good enough" obsolete parts are starting to become more affordable.( Think I am going to start hunting "Bigfoot" some people seem to actually get paid to do things like this or maybe chase UFOs). Color me "Blue".
Sorry to hear to you are not a fan... Micah has done more to promote EBike and Sustainable transportation than just about anyone.
It really sounds like you have other issues with the current state of the market. Have you considered a DIY project bike to build?
There are some affordable EBikes available on BD and CL for under $1,000... take a look and you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

$780 - GENZE CITY COMMUTER. 350 WATT BRUSHLESS MOTOR. UP TO 35 MILE RANGE.
FRONT BASKET FOR STORAGE. EASY TO REMOVE BATTERY FOR TRANSPORTATION.
SUPER LOW STEP-THRU FRAME.
1603419712148.png

I guess my Critique was a bit acrid,I have nothing against Micah at all( envy is probably the best description- besides it was a small drink of Cherry Vodka and an "Ice House beer" doing most of the talking.) He is associated with "Electrek" and I have butted heads with some of the trolls that frequent that great site. Those Guys live in another world). Praise God Micah is not like that. And thanks for the 'one up",I will search diligently for the most suited bike to fit my needs.
My background is not "thrid World" more aptly I describe it as the "2.5 world" When I was a young pup, a "Western Flyer' would have me drooling, there was never even any consideration of an "English bike or 10 speed"( these were reserved for well to do college students and kids with parents of means. On any of the hand me downs that came from other peoples rubbish heaps or garages there was the ever present 'flat tire syndrome)( I cannot believe how easy it is to deal with flats these days).
When I describe the 2.5 world" it was what President Lyndon Johnson was addressing in His"War on Poverty" {Appalacia} we had little, had to carry water, scrounge up firewood, no TV a lot of the times, in this area there were very few factory jobs -even less these days, lets just call it economically depressed.
Not to compare with the true "third world" areas where People have absolutely nothing, we were blessed with elbow room and myself and 5 brothers had a pretty happy time of it despite the other aspects.
Your suggestion has much merit and has rekindled a fire within, I am currently fooling around with an old Aluminum Huffy( too far along to abandon) and I will see how that goes,I did order a "Hallomotor kit" 750 Watt-36 volt, I have a good 20 ah 36 volt battery, when the kit arrives I will really peruse the offerings of the 'trail bikes" and just matbe the better build will be made by yours truly.One thing this "Trek"( pun not intended)
Due to your suggestion the" Leon Cycle- Prague" and"EUNORU-"UHVO") are on my radar, if I can shed myself of the Heavy cruiser, that beast weighs 82# and is not the most agile ebike and the rough trails and roads are shaking it and myself to pieces, Thanks for the reply, Kevin

Please forgive my "Windows " computer double-doing everything. Apple is in my future this computer with its Windows 10 system has me pulling my hair out at times, the older computers with XP were darlings compared to this thing,I could basically do anything I wanted with the older system, one of my favorites mysteriously self destructed one day when a Nephew was using it.

Please forgive my "Windows " computer double-doing everything. Apple is in my future this computer with its Windows 10 system has me pulling my hair out at times, the older computers with XP were darlings compared to this thing,I could basically do anything I wanted with the older system, one of my favorites mysteriously self destructed one day when a Nephew was using it.
No problem you can easily delete one of them. Just look at the bottom of your post and you will see "Report edit delete"

Anyone considering purchase of a Himaway should be monitoring this thread

A Valid point regarding real-world customer feedback on EBR... as always, buyer beware. ;)

See Micah's closing review comments below:

I don’t expect to get the same level of support as going with a giant company like Rad Power Bikes but that’s part of why you can save money on an e-bike like this while getting more speed and power than the competition. Everything in life is a series of tradeoffs. And the Himiway Cruiser is no exception. But the tradeoffs seem reasonable in exchange for the performance boost and pretty-darn-good feel of the bike. So I chalk it up in the win category.
Here’s my customer service experience with Himiway:
Ok, so I bought a previously owned Himiway with only 1.5 miles on it. The plastic on the light and display were still on, about as brand new as it gets. I have all the original owner’s name, and his Himiway order number in case of a warranty issue, per Himiway’s warranty policy, things are covered if issues arise. I “spoke” with Himiway about a brake issue and they instructed me to take the bike in to a local bike shop and they would reimburse me for the “repair”. (It just needed an adjustment). So with a lot of back and forth with Himiway giving them the original order number and first owner’s name, my name address and phone number, they acknowledged this and said I would get my reimbursement for $53. I waited, and forgot about it for a month. I went back to look at the string of e mail communication with the folks in China. They reimbursed the original owner via his PayPal account. He was nice enough to write me a check. Communication with Himiway about how to fix this so it doesn’t happen again, in case of another warranty issue, to me, to me is still questionable. I suggested if I order something like an accessory via PayPal they would have my information. They said yes. Good idea. So the long and short- there is a delay in communication -different time zone by 13 hours. There is a slight language barrier. It would have made it easier if I was the original purchaser, but these folks are helpful and friendly! Their command of English is far superior to my Chinese! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Anyone considering purchase of a Himaway should be monitoring this thread

I got mine when promised. It arrived 2 days early. It did take about 45 days, but I knew this when I ordered it on Black Friday. It arrived with no damage, Flawless. So far it is as promised. The 2 times I emailed custom service, they responded with 24 hours. No complaints.

Here’s my customer service experience with Himiway:
Ok, so I bought a previously owned Himiway with only 1.5 miles on it. The plastic on the light and display were still on, about as brand new as it gets. I have all the original owner’s name, and his Himiway order number in case of a warranty issue, per Himiway’s warranty policy, things are covered if issues arise. I “spoke” with Himiway about a brake issue and they instructed me to take the bike in to a local bike shop and they would reimburse me for the “repair”. (It just needed an adjustment). So with a lot of back and forth with Himiway giving them the original order number and first owner’s name, my name address and phone number, they acknowledged this and said I would get my reimbursement for $53. I waited, and forgot about it for a month. I went back to look at the string of e mail communication with the folks in China. They reimbursed the original owner via his PayPal account. He was nice enough to write me a check. Communication with Himiway about how to fix this so it doesn’t happen again, in case of another warranty issue, to me, to me is still questionable. I suggested if I order something like an accessory via PayPal they would have my information. They said yes. Good idea. So the long and short- there is a delay in communication -different time zone by 13 hours. There is a slight language barrier. It would have made it easier if I was the original purchaser, but these folks are helpful and friendly! Their command of English is far superior to my Chinese! Hope this helps.
I am the author of the above entry.

I am a few months in to owning my Himiway. It’s a 72 pound beast, but I have to say am still very satisfied with my purchase and make excuses to get out and ride. The rear break still makes a noise, but isn’t really an issue. It is a very solid mechanical break. This is my only complaint. I added a suspension seat post with a big ass SURFAS seat. I feel like the character “Oliver” on the old tv show “Green Acres” bouncing up and down on his tractor seat. It is a great addition adding comfort to my rides. So far I have added that suspension post, the pannier trunk bag that is on their website (you can get the same one cheaper on Amazon) and a Velcro thumb throttle band that makes it a bit easier for throttle control. I really can’t think of any other accessory I should add. This is an awesomely fun bike especially when you change the power settings. 27 mph is easily attained. Don’t forget to wear a helmet! My best range so far is 50+ miles per charge and I know I can probably do much better but don’t want to peddle on a dead battery, so have not ventured more than 55 miles on a single charge. I would say 60 miles with peddle assist and throttle + peddling is easily attainable. I live in a very flat Florida setting with very few inclines. I have not done the bridges which would eat up some battery so Himiway’s adverted range estimation is not an overshoot. Don’t overthink buying a Himiway. You will pay more for a RAD. Their customer service might be more responsive, but my neighbor has a RAD and it definitely shares the same DNA. I love my bike.

With all due respect this sounds like something Himiway would write. Even down to the improper use of English and mis-spelled words.

Don't shoot the messenger......just saying this post seems a bit fishy.
Excuse me? I wrote that post. With 'all due respect', what is fishy? Dear English professor, show me the improper use of English, and the misspelled words? YOU 'mis-spelled' MISSPELLED! So just because I didn't have any issues with the delivery of my bike, you accuse me of being Chinese? Where do you get off? Sounds like you have an agenda, and anyone who doesn't go along with you, you insult. And saying 'don't shoot the messenger' or 'with all dues respect' doesn't entitle you to then do exactly that. You aren't going to get sympathy by insulting others who offer an honest opinion of their experience.

Excuse me? I wrote that post. With 'all due respect', what is fishy? Dear English professor, show me the improper use of English, and the misspelled words? YOU 'mis-spelled' MISSPELLED! So just because I didn't have any issues with the delivery of my bike, you accuse me of being Chinese? Where do you get off? Sounds like you have an agenda, and anyone who doesn't go along with you, you insult. And saying 'don't shoot the messenger' or 'with all dues respect' doesn't entitle you to then do exactly that. You aren't going to get sympathy by insulting others who offer an honest opinion of their experience.
Wow, dude. I wouldn’t step on you. The way the thread is, it just appeared I responded to you. I wrote one of the posts. Sorry, no offense on my part.

Wow, dude. I wouldn’t step on you. The way the thread is, it just appeared I responded to you. I wrote one of the posts. Sorry, no offense on my part.
I didn't reply to you. Sorry it made it look like I did.

Back