Help finding a wheel replacement

RedRover2020

Hey guys. I'm thinking of converting my stock Rad Rover 5 to a mid drive motor instead of a hub. The problem is I can't seem to find a 26x4 fat wheel that can accommodate the cassette and disc break.

Would buying an entire wheel be my best bet or would I need to resort to buying a wheel hub, spokes and build one from the old rim? Where should I find these, ebay?

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area without access to a good bike shop and this is my 2nd conversion so any help, feedback or suggestions is much appreciated.

I'm not positive the Rover uses a 170mm wide hub/motor, only pretty sure. If that's the case, I've found that 170mm wide hubs just about impossible to find anywhere. Been looking for weeks and have come up empty handed as I need one for a different project - converting a mid drive fatty to 27.5" wheels. Everything I've seen available is 148mm or smaller.

The second issue you have, will be the axle size. Those are going to be hub specific as well. The Rover frame is set up for a hub motor. You're going with a conventional (but heavy duty) wheel.

The rim is itself is easy to find - if you are going to stay 26x4. Just make sure the number of spoke holes in the rim match the number of spoke hoes in your hub! (32h vs. 36h)

Could you just remove the motor internals from your old wheel and retain the Bafang case. Probably need to fabricate a new axle.

Sell it before you stick money into it and buy what you want.
I've been down your rabbit hole before and it never pays off for me!

As AHicks has said, you will find a rim, no problem, but everything else is going to be a chore!

I am just brainstorming here without going into the details, counting spoke holes, and fully researching your project. The idea is to keep the existing rim and lace in something like a NuVinci cargo/commercial hub. A section of pipe could be used as an axle spacer if required, but there is also axle length. Chain line will be a big consideration. It would take welding and risk.
Yes, It is better to sell and start with something where it will all work. People are nuts over the cargo bike conversions with a mid-drive. And they do not need to look a backyard pit-bull breeders' junkyard bike. You can start with any bike you like for your style of riding.

Attachments

• Boda02.JPG
    Boda02.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Boda06.JPG
    Boda06.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 208
  • BodaBoda01.JPG
    BodaBoda01.JPG
    604.6 KB · Views: 198
  • BodaBoda09.JPG
    BodaBoda09.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 203
Sell it before you stick money into it and buy what you want.
I've been down your rabbit hole before and it never pays off for me!

As AHicks has said, you will find a rim, no problem, but everything else is going to be a chore!
Agree with u , Rads generally have great resale value so sell that Rover and buy / build a mid-drive.

Regarding the link above, I followed with much interest, which takes you to another web site (Bikeman.com) where you find out the Cater hub is only available in a 32 hole - which is fine if you are working in a bicycle. Most e-bikes, all that I have owned anyway, are 36 hole (36h). Speaking for myself, the search continues....

As far as converting/coming up with a new rear wheel, I think it's a safe bet to plan on 2-400. for the parts, and that's like I said earlier, depending on finding a rear hub you can use.

Assuming you could get that "gutting the geared hub motor" plan to work, that's going to leave a lot of extra weight back there.

Last edited:
Rad uses 170mm hub?
If that's the case, those 190mm from AliExpress won't fit.
Some seem to be 170mm though.
I did find a hub that would work for my purposes (I hope) on Aliexpress. Long story short, I had been beating the bushes for so long, that when I found one in stock (supposedly) that checked all the boxes (not as easy as it sounds) I went ahead and ordered it. Though I've purchased direct from Chinese vendors many times, AliExpress is not not my favorite source, but in this case I took a gamble and gave them my info via PayPal.

The one I ordered is the KT-S7LR here:

Does AliExpress accept PayPal?
As far as I know, they don't ...

Alipay Singapore E-Commerce Private Limited
- negative $93.34
Aug 8Payment
Loading transaction details for
Alipay Singapore E-Commerce Private Limited
- negative $93.34
Aug 8Payment

Paid with

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Credit Card

VISA Credit CardXXXXXXXX
You'll see "PAYPAL *ALIPAYSINGA ALI" on your card statement.

It depends.
If OP's objective it to get a mid-drive fat bike, you'll be better off selling the Rad Rover and just replace the bike.
However, if OP is a hobbyist / enthusiast, then it's a different story.
Everything about the bike I love. I just can't climb hills including the 18 degree slope up to my house. :(

We have a winnah! $230 and 45 minutes
Those that have been here a while know I'm a big fan of the KT controllers that are used in the Bolton kits. A BIG fan!

That in mind, you really can't compare the amount of climbing power available with Bolton equipped bike, even if it also had the "real 750w" mod done on it, to something like a Bafang BBSHD mid drive conversion. With 160nm available, the BBSHD is right there with a Bafang Ultra as THE most power available. Then consider that the 160nm is available from the motor as it comes to you from Bafang. There are those getting 3 times that amount from them. Admitted though, screwing around like that is going to cost you for a little more power capability than what is available from the Rad battery. Even using the stock RAD battery, the BBSHD will be a very potent power plant. Bonus is they make the kind of power that they do while remaining pretty much rock solid. A torque monster, they are NOT picky about what gear they are in. You can take off from a stop in 4th or 5th gear without straining a thing! If you are cooling it while accerating normally, your watt meter is going to be showing less than 200 watts. IMHO, you need to be a real bone head to mess a BBSHD up....

Although BBSHD might be better than Bolton RadRover, as far as I can see from people who have done it on YouTube, Bolton RadRover still is a totally different animal compare to stock RadRover.
As mentioned, I'm a big fan of that kit, but any thoughts of that being the ultimate are way off.....

Not "better", more in the line of different.....

He mentioned converting to mid drive in his first note, and a BBSHD project wouldn't be a lot more money than the Bolton kits. A BBSHD conversion would result in a pretty unique bike with hill climbing power to spare......

As mentioned, I'm a big fan of that kit, but any thoughts of that being the ultimate are way off.....

Not "better", more in the line of different.....

He mentioned converting to mid drive in his first note, and a BBSHD project wouldn't be a lot more money than the Bolton kits. A BBSHD conversion would result in a pretty unique bike with hill climbing power to spare......
On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty, Bolton is about a 2 , a mid drive conversion is more like a 9.

The Bolton mod actually improves resale too, unless the conversion is well executed home built bikes are often sale-proof.

Back