Help...Deciding on which dongle to buy..

R those of you "dongling" changing the drive sprocket? I can barely peddle my FS RX above 20 mph as the gearing is so low. Can't imagine it at 28mph. ??
I ride mostly bike paths and the extra speed would be a bad idea all the way.

I bought a larger front sprocket with the dongle, but I haven't put it on. The OEM sprocket is an 18t for me, and I bought a 20t.

I can pedal reasonably up to about 30 mph, but anything above that my feet are moving too quick to maintain for too long.

It sounds like the ASA espeed affected smooth shifting but how about the "Bikespeed-RS, "Speedbox-2" how do the bikes shift with those systems? I bought two e bikes for the price of one from crazy lenny and one has a Bosch motor the easy motion bosch cross. I currently have a fat bike BBSHD build and average 27mph to work and don't think I can handle riding something limited to 20mph.

I use Bikespeed-RS and have not noticed it affecting the gear shifting, but my bike has a Yamaha system and not the Bosch. I know the Bosch system has gear shift detection unlike the Yamaha system so maybe its affecting that on the Bosch. So I could not say if Bikespeed-RS would be any different that ASA-espeed in the respect.

Last edited:
I have a (second hand) Haibike Xduro SL 2014 which also came with the dongle supplied by e-bikeshop. The range with the dongle is reduced. I get about 30 miles (most on 'sport', some or 'turbo'). It goes well up to 20 mph (which is plenty fast enough for me). I found there is little point using eco or tour when going at more than 15mph on the flat as the assistance only just comes in and tends to 'hover' between assisting or not. Also I find that when the battery is down to 1 or 2 bars, the assistance seems to be reduced so need to use sport and turbo more to get it back. It will assist above 20 mph but you still end up pedalling pretty hard so not much point for general riding around at a level of effort that can be sustained over longer periods.

The monitor is of course confused when the dongle is fitted. Speed goes to half when above 15.5mph or so. Range figures are also confused.

For those of use who like to move at speeds between 15 and 20 mph over most of the ride, the dongle makes a huge difference. For just cycling around town (where speeds above 15mph are ether not appropriate or possible) one might as well not use the dongle.

I forgot to mention that although the bike is 2 years old it has hardly been used (250 miles on the odometer). The battery seems fine although without the dongle I'm only getting about 40-45 miles (in relatively flat Oxfordshire). Much of this is in tour or sport but some also in turbo as it seems that the power does not cut out until about 16.5 mph in turbo (compared to 15.5 mph in tour) so I tend to use this when I want to get that extra speed.

I'm awaiting my ASA eSpeed B32.14 at the moment. I have a 2016 Xduro AMT RX and frequently ride over 20mph. I ride to the river and back (15 miles flat pavement) and average 22 mph. Most of my riding is done without assist and I'd like to see the assist work at 20mph + speeds. My maximum speed (stock) is logged at 45.5 mph so I know I can spin fast enough to make use of the tuner.

I was not very impressed with the ASA 32.14. It made the speedo glitchy, and the engine would cutoff between 18-20 mph. It would randomly kick in after 20 mph and it eventually stopped working. Installation was easy, and all of the wiring was tight so I just removed it.

@Neal Did You get the goods ? If You got questions, please send me a PM...

We got the Speedbox products http://www.ebiketuning.com/ebiketuning/speedbox.html and PearTune products http://www.ebiketuning.com/ebiketuning/peartune.html too. This products are maybe an alternative to the ASA modules. We are looking for a test person from the USA.
I haven't receive my tuner yet. I was sent the 45.14 originally and it didn't work so I sent it back and it is currently sitting in Germany customs. I imagine it will be a couple of weeks before I receive the correct one.

I'm still waiting for the correct version, too. I was sent the 25.14, and was told they would mail the 32.14 version and a Blackped dongle to me.

I'm not sure what dongle was fitted by the dealer, but it's great. I normally ride my mtb bike about +15mph on the flat of course and noticed that when I ride with no dongle assistance I easily get to 15mph, but am constantly fighting between motor starting and stopping as I'm trying to peddle faster that the 15mph restriction. The Dongle is a switch button on back of left control and it takes the bike to about 34mph on the flat.

yes. i press the tiny button at back and it activates the dongle. it initially shows 3mph for a split second for some reason then immediately shows correct speed vs my garmin. Its a must on flat tarmac roads can easily maintain about 28mph with the wrong mob tyres and with a little effort get up to about 34 on the flat then it cuts out. it was fitted by dealer and hidden within casing.

If anyone wants to test the new BluePed please contact us (follower of the BlackPed, only for Yamaha engines, with the correct speed at the display and many more options).... We will test it now with 10 Users, and a Haibike Yamaha enginewith 20 mph at the US market would be great for testing...

Last edited:
Oh, Thx for the replies. Better is to close my request. Cause I dont want to damage this nice discussion....

Probably a good idea. Unless you have a giveaway planned. Real world testing is the best way to work out bugs though.

Why doesn't Haibike just produce a speed pedelec, 28 mile per hour, mountain bike to begin with? Then there would not be a need for an after market in dongles. Since a throttle is not involved, it would to be in compliance with US law.

Why doesn't Haibike just produce a speed pedelec, 28 mile per hour, mountain bike to begin with? Then there would not be a need for an after market in dongles. Since a throttle is not involved, it would to be in compliance with US law.

They are releasing it this year.
A s-pedelec version of Full Seven Rx.

Back