Help...Deciding on which dongle to buy..

Yes, I suppose it was under warranty.

And yes, the RadRover is gone - I sold it a day or two after I bought the Haibike. Very different bikes.

Hi, I'm Jum. We are EBikeTuning.com and BlackPed.com and so on...

BlackPed is the follower of PumaPed 2 - We translate the Blackped Site into english, please try until we are ready the english PumaPed Site www.en.pumaped.com

Feel Free to ask me about all things I could answer ;-()

Hi Jum,
I place an order on your site, and also emailed you a question on March 5th about the ASA eSpeed.

Do you have any comment on the ASA disabling shift detection (and allowing the motor to cut out) once installed on Christopher's bike? Did you expect a different behavior?

The PumaPed 2 or BlackPed claims to NOT disable shift detection. Is this the case? Just want to make sure I ordered the right dongle, as I really don't want to lose shift detection.

Thanks,
Garrick

Hi Garrick, I send You a PM.

A) ASA

The ASA B25.14 is made for E Bikes which got a restriction at 25 Km/h.

If Your E Bike got a restriction at 32 Km/h (20 mph) You will need a special version called ASA B32.14

Please leave a message in Your comments during the ordering process. We will add the ASA B32.14 as a new producct soon as possible...

B) BlackPed

Functions of the BlackPed (= PumaPed 2plus): http://www.blackped.com

Translations:

1) https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.blackped.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=180

2) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Hi Jum,

Thank you for the message. I believe all US Bosch motors that are not specifically listed as S-Pedelec (Speed Pedelec) are limited to 20mph (32Km/h). S-Pedelec bikes are 28mph (45Km/h)

So, perhaps some of Christopher's issues, at least with the display behavior between about 18 and 24 mph, is caused by the B25.14 model placed on his bike?

Also, the motor is supposed to automatically stop delivering power if the rider shifts. Should the ASA device stop this from working smoothly? I contacted BlackPed and they said their device does not interfere with shift detection. Do you have a BlackPed or Pumaped 2+ that works on 20mph (32Km/h) Bosch Gen 2 motors?

So:
- List of dongles that work on 20mph (32km/h) Bosch Gen 2 or Yamaha
- List of dongles that allow automatic motor shutoff on shifting to work

And I think you have a lot of buyers! Haibike is making a big push in the US for 2016.

Garrick

And I think you have a lot of buyers! Haibike is making a big push in the US for 2016.

And just in case that you weren't aware, the Bosch warranty will be automatically invalidated on any bike that has one fitted.

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/service/faq/faq.html

Click to enlarge.

bosch.JPG

Last edited:
And just in case that you weren't aware, the Bosch warranty will be automatically invalidated on any bike that has one fitted.

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/service/faq/faq.html

Yes, yes, yes. The warranty is voided when you fit something like this. Isn't that kind of understood by all?

I'm working with Jum now to figure out what's best for my bike.

I rode it 23 miles home from work yesterday, at an average of 21.5 mph. I cleared 30 mph at least once, but mostly took it pretty easy to make sure the battery would last the whole way. The display still registered 2 miles of range left when I got home, despite a nasty headwind and 500' overall elevation gain. I left it on Sport mode until the last few miles, and then put it into Turbo once I knew I was really close to home.

IMG_3160.jpg

Yes, yes, yes. The warranty is voided when you fit something like this. Isn't that kind of understood by all?

I'm working with Jum now to figure out what's best for my bike.

I rode it 23 miles home from work yesterday, at an average of 21.5 mph. I cleared 30 mph at least once, but mostly took it pretty easy to make sure the battery would last the whole way. The display still registered 2 miles of range left when I got home, despite a nasty headwind and 500' overall elevation gain. I left it on Sport mode until the last few miles, and then put it into Turbo once I knew I was really close to home.

View attachment 5577

You must be in great shape!
25miles range at 22 mph avg is a decent range.

The ASA B25.14 is made for E Bikes which got a restriction at 25 Km/h.

If Your E Bike got a restriction at 32 Km/h (20 mph) You will need a special version called ASA B32.14

Please leave a message in Your comments during the ordering process. We will add the ASA B32.14 as a new producct soon as possible...

Its not entirely clear how to order the B32.14 via the website, given any Bosch system sold in the US is not restricted to 25Km/k, they are all either 20 m/h or 28 m/h and that anyone ordering from the US would far more likely have the 20m/h version, you should ship the B32.14 by default on orders to the US.

Hey. I have a 2015 Haibike XDuro 29. I am looking to buy a dongle that bumps the speed limiter from 20mph to 28mph. I live in the US. It is very important to me that my Intuvia display remain unchanged in regards to mph accuracy and data. I use the bike for commuting and I need it to be accurate. The two dongles that I have identified as possible purchases are the 1) ASA eSpeed. And the 2) Peartune MSO.

Anyone have any experience or input regarding these ?

Thanks
Two that I looked at> one I eventually bought> "Bikespeed RS" and "Speedbox 2" both come from Germany and don't affect speed and distance readings on your display if thats a help !!!

I fitted Bikespeed-RS which i found to be great if thats a help. Easy to fit and the your display still shows the correct speed, distance etc unlike some software/hardware products on the market. Also they is Speedbox-2 which may also be worth a look at as its about 10 euros cheaper but does the same thing.

Last edited:
I am curious if the ASA eSpeed B32.14 dongle requires the light function to be turned on by a Haibike mechanic at a bike shop? I have seen a few of these dongles state the requirement, and I have an xduro Fullseven RX (US).

I am curious also, you state the light function has to be turned on by a haibike mechanic at a bike shop, I think you may find thats not the case, not on (EU) spec bikes anyway, so I would think (US) spec bikes would be the same. The dongle/software is activated by the light switch, so to activate the dongle the lights will be swtched on also, if your bike had factoty fitted lights as standard that is. I guess yours dose not have lights fitted as standard ( but the switch still works, its just you have no lights connected), so the light switch button will act as an on/off button for the dongle only. You have got to remember the light switch button is wired into the controller whether you have factory fitted lights or not, so your dongle should still work (see "speedbox-2") which employs the same on/off procedure. If you were to drop your motor you would see spare wires inside your frame with a connecter at the end. This is the lead from your light switch which is not connected to anything. If you were to plug lights into this you would have working lights, the light switch is wired into the loom so it has power its just they are no lights connected thats all( that is my understanding anyway, but please check that is the case). Saying that the hardware/software I use is switched on by the power assist buttons on my controller (see "Bikespeed-RS"). I would guess "ASA eSpeed" works on the same principle as the "speedbox-2" system, so unless (US) and (EU) have a different wiring looms a haibike mechanic should not be needed. Please be aware my bike is a yamaha system, yours is Bosch i take it, so maybe your light switch is wired different to mine ( so all above could not be applicable to your system), please check with some one that has the Bosch system to see if that is the case. If the Bosch system is different sorry your time has been wasted reading this thread. Saying that, I do know "Bikespeed-RS" and "Speedbox-2" are available for the Bosch system, if you email them they would be able to tell you if it works on the (US) variant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response I have this question of whether the software on mine is activated for lights because of the description for the Bosch lighting cable here:

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/bosch-light-cable

When I push the light button on my Intuvia it displays the light icon, but not sure if the software actually turns on power to the light socket by the motor. Might have to just open it up and test it. My bike was not manufactured with lights.

Most electric mountain bikes don't come with factory fitted lights but can be retro fitted with them. So usually the switch has power going to it and power going out, its just that they is no lights connected/fitted to the out end part of the cable, if you get my meaning. I would just email the 3 systems ie. "ASA eSpeed", "Bikespeed-RS, "Speedbox-2" with your bike model/spec and they will tell you if there system will work on your model/variant before i start taken things apart, also they are some videos on youtube showing people fitting the above hardware/software which may give you the infomation you need and also may help you decide which system you go for, if any. Bikespeed-RS is switched on/off by using assist/power buttons like i said, so if your still not sure if the other systems will work using your light switch button as the on/off then just email bikespeed-RS and they will get back to usually within 24hrs if there system is compatable with your bike. I know I keep on mentioning Bikespeed-rs but that is the system i use, they maybe better systems out there, but all i can say that i have no issues with the system and it was easy to fit.

Last edited:
Back