Help choosing first bike (mid-range college commuter in hilly terrain)

Fluffybagel

As I have moved away for college, I'm finding that I need a reliable mode of transport for mid-distance (~20 mile round trip) travel, as the bus system in my new town is extremely unreliable. While I don't usually travel awfully far each way, I am slightly impeded by the steep hills that make me feel discouraged from using my old bike anymore (it's a piece of junk anyway.)

I'm a 5'9 male and weigh 160 pounds, and I don't expect to be carrying anything. Having the option to alternate between pedal-assist and throttle modes is appealing to me, so I'd like any potential candidates to have that capability. In addition, since it snows a lot during the winter here, preferably something that can handle icy roads. My budget is in the below $2000 range, and I'd like to buy it from a site that offers payment in installments (e.g. Amazon.) However, I'm somewhat flexible on these standards, and none of my expectations are set in stone.

I was considering the Juiced Crosscurrent Air, but I'm not sure if that would be the best candidate. In regards to that bike though, I know that the more-expensive torque option matches the output of your pedaling power, so would it be easier to just have a cadence-sensor when biking in places with steep hills where even pedaling at all is difficult? Like I said, I don't have much knowledge in the e-bike industry, so while I'm not dead set on that particular model, I'd like to be as informed as possible.

Any help will be boundlessly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from the knowledgeable members of this forum!

Back