Help! Can't get my wife to try ebike.

Kayakguy

She rides an analog Electra step-thru for errands around our fairly flat town. But yesterday, we had to climb a long (over a mile) and fairly steep hill, and she struggled to make the climb. Had to walk the bike much of the time, and won't use her granny gear because going so slow is "too wobbly". I would dash ahead of her for a hundred yards or so, then stop and wait for her to catch up. When I offer to buy her an ebike, she refuses to discuss it, because she "doesn't want to have to learn a new technology." Hell, she's less of a luddite than I am, and is 10 years younger (75). She has mastered her smart phone, while I am still stuck in the dumb phone era. She can't help but see how much more power the "E" gives me, but is not swayed by that at all.
I don't think we will do much riding together, because it isn't fun for either of us.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach this? Or should I just give up?

Why make her ride a bike she isn't ready for?

Gently ride up beside her on the next hill, YOU slow down - ride beside and casually chat whilst she struggles.

Show her how easy it is, not how fast you are.
Oooh, I hate riding slower than the bike wants to go. It's why I lost my enthusiasm for riding with the Senior Activity Center. Everybody was so pokey, and all had to push their bikes up the hills, and I would be doing the same. And I got to thinking, why the hell am I doing this? I should just ride up, and wait at the top.

But there might be times when that would be doable. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
You might try this (from about 10 ft away):
"Honey, it's OK that you don't want another bike. I'll just buy another ebike for myself."
Actually, I do talk speculatively about what my next ebike might be. Seriously looking at Specialized. Hmmm. Maybe if I were to go with her to Fairhaven (neighborhood of Bellingham, about 15 minutes by bike from our house), and tell her I need to go into the Specialized shop, and then Seattle City Bikes (who have the e-Townie). Of course I wouldn't dare say a word about her trying one out. Oh, and we do have a Gazelle dealer within walking distance. That's another bike I wouldn't mind checking out.

Last edited:
My wife scared herself on her first e-bike ride...however not enough to make her not want one. Her issue is the “jerk” when the pedal assist kicks in when starting out from a stop. I now leave her bike in mode zero, which is an analog bike. With her thumb throttle she has full control of how much boost she wants and when. To me I prefer my Gazelle, but we all like WHAT we like and it is nobody’s business WHY we like what we do. None of us come with an ”owners manual”. Lord knows if I did she would have mine memorized or redacted. LOL.

Actually, I do talk speculatively about what my next ebike might be. Seriously looking at Specialized. Hmmm. Maybe if I were to go with her to Fairhaven (neighborhood of Bellingham, about 15 minutes by bike from our house), and tell her I need to go into the Specialized shop, and then Seattle City Bikes (who have the e-Townie). Of course I wouldn't dare say a word about her trying one out. Oh, and we do have a Gazelle dealer within walking distance. That's another bike I wouldn't mind checking out.
BELLINGHAM is the flat town where your wife rides her errands???!!!

Hiring a bike for half day is best way to try them out. Make sure to include few hills in the ride. Recommend a middrive stepthrough. The hub drives with throttles can bite if not use to them.

BELLINGHAM is the flat town where your wife rides her errands???!!!
Much of the town is fairly flat. There are some hills, but many destinations can be reached without significant ones, though you may have to sort out a route that is easier than others. The library and post office are places she often bikes to. Of course on my ebike it seems less hilly to me.

1. hills are a great plan.... make sure there is at least one that must be navigated on every trip.
2. a riding partner, something you can enjoy doing together - without concern regarding wind direction and hills.
3. something relatively inexpensive, so she doesn't feel like she's spending the kids inheritance.....
4. patience....

Perhaps it's time for an appeal to her baser emotions. You'll need some new ebike riding buddies.

Step 1. Start with a good-looking guy your age. Spend a lot of time riding with him. Talk about him incessantly. Then invite her along, with you and your buddy riding ahead.
Step 2. If that doesn't work, repeat with a handsome guy half your age.
Step3. If no go, repeat with a hunky 20-something in lycra.
Step 4. Last resort, a pretty 20-something girl, any attire.

If that doesn't work, it's hopeless.
I think you have the order reversed. I'd rather start with #4.

Much of the town is fairly flat. There are some hills, but many destinations can be reached without significant ones, though you may have to sort out a route that is easier than others. The library and post office are places she often bikes to. Of course on my ebike it seems less hilly to me.
I guess that's true... I'm most familiar with the area around WWU and Fairhaven - not flat. And, coming off I-5, down the hill through downtown to get out by Hotel Bellwether and to the hospital area. I just never think of Bellingham as being flat 😁.

I think you have the order reversed. I'd rather start with #4.
But if my way works before you get to the girl, you've added no years in the doghouse.

If you do have to bring in the girl, you could try "But dear, I was so desperate to ride with you like we used to that I didn't know what else to do." But don't expect more than a reduced sentence.

I guess that's true... I'm most familiar with the area around WWU and Fairhaven - not flat. And, coming off I-5, down the hill through downtown to get out by Hotel Bellwether and to the hospital area. I just never think of Bellingham as being flat 😁.
You're right, of course. The most bike unfriendly town in our recent experience is Pullman, WA. We tried biking on WSU's campus, and even the ebike was struggling. Made me glad I didn't go to school there.
When the important people were deciding on the name "Bellwether," it was explained to them that a bellwether is a castrated sheep or goat that wears a bell (since he is the leader of the flock, and the bell keeps everybody together). But they decided they liked the name anyhow, and adopted it. Every time I see it, I can't help thinking of its original meaning.

I can get from my house (in the Columbia neighborhood) to Fairhaven in a little over 15 minutes, via Boulevard Ave. There are hills, but they are nothing with my ebike. Which reminds me, I am going to hop on my bike in a few minutes to meet my beer drinking buddy in Fairhaven for our weekly refreshment. I love the fact that our area has at least 13 brew pubs and tap rooms. Most of them brew their own. One of the tap rooms is an easy walk from my house. I feel truly blessed to live in these times of great microbrews. Especially since I remember when all beer in this state was 3.2 %, was insipid, tasteless lager, and you couldn't carry your beer across the room to join someone, but had to ask the barmaid to do it. And you couldn't buy beer on Sunday.

You're right, of course. The most bike unfriendly town in our recent experience is Pullman, WA. We tried biking on WSU's campus, and even the ebike was struggling. Made me glad I didn't go to school there.

When the important people were deciding on the name "Bellwether," it was explained to them that a bellwether is a castrated sheep or goat that wears a bell (since he is the leader of the flock, and the bell keeps everybody together). But they decided they liked the name anyhow, and adopted it. Every time I see it, I can't help thinking of its original meaning.

I can get from my house (in the Columbia neighborhood) to Fairhaven in a little over 15 minutes, via Boulevard Ave. There are hills, but they are nothing with my ebike. Which reminds me, I am going to hop on my bike in a few minutes to meet my beer drinking buddy in Fairhaven for our weekly refreshment. I love the fact that our area has at least 13 brew pubs and tap rooms. Most of them brew their own. One of the tap rooms is an easy walk from my house. I feel truly blessed to live in these times of great microbrews. Especially since I remember when all beer in this state was 3.2 %, was insipid, tasteless lager, and you couldn't carry your beer across the room to join someone, but had to ask the barmaid to do it. And you couldn't buy beer on Sunday.
I always forget when we're in NC that you can't buy alcoholic beverages on Sundays until after 11 AM. I'll be picking up stuff for a nice dinner, or to take as a hostess gift, get to the cash register, and be denied if it's too early. I know they think I'm a heathen liberal Yankee wino 🤣🤣🤣!

I always forget when we're in NC that you can't buy alcoholic beverages on Sundays until after 11 AM. I'll be picking up stuff for a nice dinner, or to take as a hostess gift, get to the cash register, and be denied if it's too early. I know they think I'm a heathen liberal Yankee wino 🤣🤣🤣!
FWIW, you could not buy any alcohol before 13:00 in the Communist Poland on any day 🤣 There even was a funny rock'n'roll song by title "It's Ten Minutes To Thirteen" 🤣

So what's wrong with a heathen liberal Yankee wino?

Back