Help! Can't get my wife to try ebike.

Kayakguy

She rides an analog Electra step-thru for errands around our fairly flat town. But yesterday, we had to climb a long (over a mile) and fairly steep hill, and she struggled to make the climb. Had to walk the bike much of the time, and won't use her granny gear because going so slow is "too wobbly". I would dash ahead of her for a hundred yards or so, then stop and wait for her to catch up. When I offer to buy her an ebike, she refuses to discuss it, because she "doesn't want to have to learn a new technology." Hell, she's less of a luddite than I am, and is 10 years younger (75). She has mastered her smart phone, while I am still stuck in the dumb phone era. She can't help but see how much more power the "E" gives me, but is not swayed by that at all.
I don't think we will do much riding together, because it isn't fun for either of us.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach this? Or should I just give up?

You gotta make it sound like it is her idea.
That's kind of the point of zooming past her, waiting for her to push her bike up the hill, etc. But she hasn't gotten the idea yet. Once, when I was "encouraging" her (by saying "keep it going" as she caught up to me) she threatened to punch me if I said it again.

That's kind of the point of zooming past her, waiting for her to push her bike up the hill, etc. But she hasn't gotten the idea yet. Once, when I was "encouraging" her (by saying "keep it going" as she caught up to me) she threatened to punch me if I said it again.
Okay, here's what I'm waiting for: any female ebike riders who might look at this from a different perspective. You can heap abuse on me if you feel the need, as long as you include some useful insight.

Perhaps it's time for an appeal to her baser emotions. You'll need some new ebike riding buddies.

Step 1. Start with a good-looking guy your age. Spend a lot of time riding with him. Talk about him incessantly. Then invite her along, with you and your buddy riding ahead.
Step 2. If that doesn't work, repeat with a handsome guy half your age.
Step3. If no go, repeat with a hunky 20-something in lycra.
Step 4. Last resort, a pretty 20-something girl, any attire.

If that doesn't work, it's hopeless.

Last edited:
We do have a tandem kayak, which she loves (and which leaves me wishing I was paddling my single). That happened because she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength, and she really wore herself out paddling one of my singles against a mean headwind and 2' chop. I ended up having to tow her, and soon another buddy began towing me--towing another kayaker against a head wind is very discouraging. So I determined that a double kayak would be a good compromise. But I don't know whether I could stand a tandem bike. Thanks for the idea, though.
Follow @fooferdoggie for a while if you are interested. He rides an electric tandem in the PNW.

It’s sometimes is never easy with partners for life. It might require you to go out on a limb and rent one for a few days while temporarily absconding her analog ride in order to convince her to give it a try. You just never know and it might turn the tide in your favor.

I'm the first adopter of the ebike in our couple... So probably not much help here. It took almost 2 years of me (not always so) patiently waiting at the top of every long hill - and we have many - for my husband to walk up, and him cutting my rides short because he was tired, before he finally decided to break down and finally build himself one so he could keep up with me. I also had finally told him it wasn't fun for me any more, and I think that had something to do with it.

The thing that came to mind immediately for me is this isn't fun for either of you. I'd stress that it's something you want to enjoy doing together, and ask her to just try riding a few before making a final decision.

My La Free mid drive (by Momentum, a subsidiary of Giant) weighs about 55 lbs with battery attached, has an auto assist mode that I just set and forget most of the time, and is really simple to ride. I'm sure there are other similar models out there - it doesn't have to be complicated.

The only other option I can see is to stop riding together, and each do your own riding thing - sorry.

What is something she would like to do and you are resistant? Stuff it, like it, or at least STFU and just try to enjoy. For me it didn’t take long.

Maybe something like the Swytch that would allow her to keep her Townie. The removable battery hangs off the handlebar and its a simple front hub. Supposedly its dead simple and just enough battery to help out on hills.

I completely agree with the dislike of a heavy bike. No way I would want to ride a 70 or 80 lb bike. But to each their own.
Take her to bike shops and look. Maybe find one she wants to demo. It may cost you a few lunches but that’s nothing. Get her out looking and go from there. A lot of folks overlook the fact that e-bikes can be intimidating. Especially if you’ve never ridden a powered 2 wheeler before.
Ans fwiw….we chose an Aventon Soltera based solely on the weight. At 43lbs with battery my wife and I can easily pick them up. And we’re 67 and 64. Not the most comfortable but than can be improved upon.

I'm the first adopter of the ebike in our couple... So probably not much help here. It took almost 2 years of me (not always so) patiently waiting at the top of every long hill - and we have many - for my husband to walk up, and him cutting my rides short because he was tired, before he finally decided to break down and finally build himself one so he could keep up with me. I also had finally told him it wasn't fun for me any more, and I think that had something to do with it.

The thing that came to mind immediately for me is this isn't fun for either of you. I'd stress that it's something you want to enjoy doing together, and ask her to just try riding a few before making a final decision.

My La Free mid drive (by Momentum, a subsidiary of Giant) weighs about 55 lbs with battery attached, has an auto assist mode that I just set and forget most of the time, and is really simple to ride. I'm sure there are other similar models out there - it doesn't have to be complicated.

The only other option I can see is to stop riding together, and each do your own riding thing - sorry.
Thanks. Your thinking pretty well aligns with mine.

FWIW, if she's already got an Electra, I believe REI (and probably other retailers) carry the electric version of the Townie... Not familiar with it, just have seen it on the floor there. It might be the most painless switch option?

FWIW, if she's already got an Electra, I believe REI (and probably other retailers) carry the electric version of the Townie... Not familiar with it, just have seen it on the floor there. It might be the most painless switch option?
Good point, although she already regards the Townie as too heavy.

Good point, although she already regards the Townie as too heavy.
It is too heavy, but it has enough motor to offset it.and has the same crank forward geometry that I didn't like in acoustic or electric. If that is the right fit for her, you have a good start.

My wife doesn't like change, but after riding my sister in laws Class 2, she wanted one also. Her idea for ebikes, not mine.

My sister in law has dumped the ebike several times because she uses the throttle I believe. I told my brother to take a Gazelle, Trek , or Specialized Class 1 for a ride.

My wife likes her Gazelle much better than my sister in laws because it is no different than riding her analog, but easier on the knees.

Back