Help! Can't get my wife to try ebike.

Kayakguy

She rides an analog Electra step-thru for errands around our fairly flat town. But yesterday, we had to climb a long (over a mile) and fairly steep hill, and she struggled to make the climb. Had to walk the bike much of the time, and won't use her granny gear because going so slow is "too wobbly". I would dash ahead of her for a hundred yards or so, then stop and wait for her to catch up. When I offer to buy her an ebike, she refuses to discuss it, because she "doesn't want to have to learn a new technology." Hell, she's less of a luddite than I am, and is 10 years younger (75). She has mastered her smart phone, while I am still stuck in the dumb phone era. She can't help but see how much more power the "E" gives me, but is not swayed by that at all.
I don't think we will do much riding together, because it isn't fun for either of us.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach this? Or should I just give up?

Try to find a dealer that offers a light mid drive bike. That is what I went to from an analog bike. On 0 boost it disconnects and is like riding a steel frame bike. My wife has always been faster than me with her analog bike. Now I can add boost when needed and we stay together. Sadly, she doesn't get long breaks every 5 miles waiting for me to catch up any more.
Try to find her something light and simple, that just helps her pedal when she wants it.

Try to find a dealer that offers a light mid drive bike. That is what I went to from an analog bike. On 0 boost it disconnects and is like riding a steel frame bike. My wife has always been faster than me with her analog bike. Now I can add boost when needed and we stay together. Sadly, she doesn't get long breaks every 5 miles waiting for me to catch up any more.
Try to find her something light and simple, that just helps her pedal when she wants it.
I realize that Electra makes an E version (of the Townie). But she already regards her analog bike as "heavy" (though it seems a featherweight to me), and of course the E version would be much more so. But I'm going to try to coax her in to trying one. We do have a LBS that carries the Electra in town here.

Last edited:
won't use her granny gear because going so slow is "too wobbly"
She could probably improve that wobbly feeling by training herself to look farther ahead of the bike at low speed. It's natural to let your gaze get closer when you get slower, so you have to keep reminding yourself.

This is an argument I could totally see having with my wife, and my spidey sense says that the real issue is that there is some other reason she doesn't want to ride (or ride on that hill) and no matter how many technical issues you solve, it won't change the underlying reason.

Sometimes all that's lacking is the right motivation. Don't know what's at the top of that hill, but maybe there's a really attractive destination or activity (for her) that would be vastly easier (for her) on a lightweight ebike.

Hope you find a solution. Had doubts that my wife would actually ride the ebike we bought her, having never been much of a cyclist. But now it's one of the best things we do together.

For one thing, the sheer joy of riding makes it seem kinda silly to squabble.
;^}

But she already regards her analog bike as "heavy" That is something I just don't get. What is easier, riding a heavy ebike up a hill or pushing a lightweight analog bike up a hill?

But she already regards her analog bike as "heavy" That is something I just don't get. What is easier, riding a heavy ebike up a hill or pushing a lightweight analog bike up a hill?
You still have to be able to handle a bike when not underway. Maybe that's the sticking point.

She could probably improve that wobbly feeling by training herself to look farther ahead of the bike at low speed. It's natural to let your gaze get closer when you get slower, so you have to keep reminding yourself.

This is an argument I could totally see having with my wife, and my spidey sense says that the real issue is that there is some other reason she doesn't want to ride (or ride on that hill) and no matter how many technical issues you solve, it won't change the underlying reason.
That particular hill wasn't the problem. We were going to watch her daughter compete in a triathlon, plus there would be other family there. So the motivation to go was high. She even complained about the fatigue she felt afterwards. She just has her mind shut against riding an ebike. She doesn't seem to object to me riding mine. But yeah--underlying reason . . . ???

Following this thread, but maybe a tandem?
We do have a tandem kayak, which she loves (and which leaves me wishing I was paddling my single). That happened because she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength, and she really wore herself out paddling one of my singles against a mean headwind and 2' chop. I ended up having to tow her, and soon another buddy began towing me--towing another kayaker against a head wind is very discouraging. So I determined that a double kayak would be a good compromise. But I don't know whether I could stand a tandem bike. Thanks for the idea, though.

Last edited:

her analog bike weighs 35 pounds - a not insignificant amount relative to a female or smaller male. this contributes to awkwardness when stopping and starting, reluctance to take it places where you might have to pick it up, etc. once moving on level ground of course it makes relatively little difference.

if she could be convinced to try it, @Kayakguy maybe point out that there are step through low power bikes which are as light or lighter than her townie and require nothing more than a single button push :)

I realize that Electra makes an E version. But she already regards her analog bike as "heavy" (though it seems a featherweight to me), and of course the E version would be much more so. But I'm going to try to coax her in to trying one. We do have a LBS that carries the Electra in town here.
Added detail: her Electra is aTownie model

Last edited:
She rides an analog Electra step-thru for errands around our fairly flat town. But yesterday, we had to climb a long (over a mile) and fairly steep hill, and she struggled to make the climb. Had to walk the bike much of the time, and won't use her granny gear because going so slow is "too wobbly". I would dash ahead of her for a hundred yards or so, then stop and wait for her to catch up. When I offer to buy her an ebike, she refuses to discuss it, because she "doesn't want to have to learn a new technology." Hell, she's less of a luddite than I am, and is 10 years younger (75). She has mastered her smart phone, while I am still stuck in the dumb phone era. She can't help but see how much more power the "E" gives me, but is not swayed by that at all.
I don't think we will do much riding together, because it isn't fun for either of us.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach this? Or should I just give up?
You gotta make it sound like it is her idea.

My wife had an Aventon Level for two years. We started with two Aventon Levels. After two years, I purchased a rear suspension mtb and started to extol the virtues of the rear suspension to her and how much she would love it. She said "no, I like my Level and don't want a new bike." I kept working on her. Then I appealed to her logic, and explained how much safer the rear suspension was because she would be better able to navigate rough terrain, curbs, sidewalks, etc. She said "no, I like my Level and don't want a new bike." We kept this up for almost a year, and every time she said "no". So, I ordered a really nice Candy Apple Red rear suspension Frey Savannah. Then, just before it was to be delivered, I sold her Aventon Level. The night before delivery of the new bike, she came upstairs and asked me where her bike was, it was not in the garage. I told her that I sold it, and her new Savannah would be here the next day. She was torqued. I told her that it was a more comfortable and safer bike and that she deserved it, and that I did it because I loved her, and that it was a fait accompli, and that I was in charge of the bike situation.

She loves her new Savannah, and she says it is a much better bike, and prettier than her gray Level.

Last edited:
My wife had an Aventon Level for two years. We started with two Aventon Levels. After two years, I purchased a rear suspension mtb and started to extol the virtues of the rear suspension to her and how much she would love it. She said "no, I like my Level and don't want a new bike." I kept working on her. Then I appealed to her logic, and explained how much safer the rear suspension was because she would be better able to navigate rough terrain, curbs, sidewalks, etc. She said "no, I like my Level and don't want a new bike." We kept this up for almost a year, and every time she said "no". So, I ordered a really nice Candy Apple Red rear suspension Frey Savannah. Then, just before it was to be delivered, I sold her Aventon Level. The night before delivery of the new bike, she came upstairs and asked me where her bike was, it was not in the garage. I told her that I sold it, and her new Savannah would be here the next day. She was torqued. I told her that it was a more comfortable and safer bike and that she deserved it, and that I did it because I loved her, and that it was a fait accompli, and that I had a I was in charge of the bike situation.
Glad to hear you survived such a close call with death.

Back