Helmet, lock and air pump for an e-bike novice

JLA

Region
USA
Hello. I just bought my first e-bike today. The Lectric XP™ Step-Thru 3.0. This will be just for riding around the city - locally So, my question to this community is what helmet should I buy to be safe? I’m 61, not in the best shape and haven’t ridden a bike in 45 years. LOL. And I live in the middle of Los Angeles. Next question is suggestions for a good lock for when I leave it to go eat or shopping. And lastly an air pump.

‘thanks.

Our last 3 helmets have been Giro brands. Dont recall the model for the current, but ~$120 price point. Need to try helmet on for a proper fit and good feel.

Welcome to the forum!

You've asked three separate questions in a single post. You might get more responses if you posted them separately. All three are discussed frequently here and there is no one single answer that will fit every need. Personal preference varies greatly. You might try the search box in the upper right of the screen. This way, you can access the wealth of information available here on EBR.

I will offer this advice on helmets though. Consider one that meets MIPS or MIPS II standards such as these from Giro:

Again, welcome aboard and good luck with your new bike! By all means, keep us posted with your experiences.

Welcome JLA. I'll try and give you some pointers.

Helmet. One that is ebike rated preferred. Try to buy from a brick and mortar store. Make sure it fits well and you like it. Note if you live in a hot climate, vents are your friend. The helmet thread is fun. I still wear a low safety rated Nutcase helmet. I need a new helmet as well.

Lock. Your local crime rate will give you an idea of what type of lock you should be using. I live in a medium level area and tend to use FoldyLocks, the next to highest rated ones. I also have a XP 3.0 and don't worry to much of it getting kidnapped. I mainly run around locally and the bike racks I use are very visible, and if I ride to work its a secure facility. I do have a mean Abus U-lock and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit noose loop chain, in case I visit Richmond or Washington D.C.

Air pump. Never owned a portable pump on any of my ebikes. I always install Mr. Tuffy liners right off the bat. If I get a flat it's just easier to lock it up, get a ride home and come back and pick it up with my truck. If riding to work I just call in for the day. Luckily flats are far and few between so I never bought a portable air pump. Flats on ebikes are extra hard to fix roadside.

Hope this gives you a little help in your quest. I did a mini review of my XP in the Lectric thread and add on info as I put more miles on it. So far so good!

Buyer beware. Price doesn’t equate to quality. There are $50 and under TESTED helmets that off better protection than those in the $120-$150 range. See my post from consumer reports on EBR.

I like my 48V air pump and heavy u lock. A lock only slows down a thief. I try to park in the view of a CCTV.

Last edited:
I see none of the giro helmets have a chin guard. When I fall off, I hit my chin. 7 times in 66 years. Broke it the last time, 3 months after I went searching for helmets with a chin guard. No, motorcycle helmets don't have vents, thank you bing. I'm using a Fox Rampage, https://www.modernbike.com/fox-racing-rampage-dh-helmet-mako-yellow not mips. Lots of vents, guarded by metal mesh to keep branches out of your head. Bell has something similar. Search term is "downhill mountain bike racing helmet" although I've never raced a bike in my life.
Air pump. I've bought 3 that didn't work from the LBS. I'm using a lyzene mini pump that is 3 years old and holding up well. https://www.modernbike.com/lezyne-road-drive-large-mini-pump
Lock: I lock to gas meters, live 440 ac conduits, power poles, mostly. Takes a 6' tether. 6' of motorcycle chain weighs about 30 lb. See krypton or westtechrigging.com supply for the pewag square chain.
I'm using a 6' stainless steel sling 1/2" diameter $80. Weighs 8 lb. Rolls up to 20" diameter so if you don't have a pannier that big use the 3/8" diameter version https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 Takes a big throat lock I use Abus 82/90 $47 . zoro.com or ebay also zoro. Yes, they can be cut, by a $300 stainless steel capable cable cutter. Thieves don't have those. Or one wire at a time with 8" klein cutters, took me 7 minutes to cut one strand and there are seven strands. Those Abus or krypton foldlocks are fine for sheet metal tube tethers than can be cut (the tube) by a hacksaw in 5 minutes and 30 seconds with a battery grinder. A grinder on a floppy cable 2' off the ground would require 3 hands to cut, IMHO. Anyway I've been using the 3/8" cable for 4 years; tire was slashed twice by frustrated somebody.
See various security and helmet threads on parts forum below for other opinions.

Welcome JLA. I'll try and give you some pointers.

Helmet. One that is ebike rated preferred. Try to buy from a brick and mortar store. Make sure it fits well and you like it. Note if you live in a hot climate, vents are your friend. The helmet thread is fun. I still wear a low safety rated Nutcase helmet. I need a new helmet as well.

Lock. Your local crime rate will give you an idea of what type of lock you should be using. I live in a medium level area and tend to use FoldyLocks, the next to highest rated ones. I also have a XP 3.0 and don't worry to much of it getting kidnapped. I mainly run around locally and the bike racks I use are very visible, and if I ride to work its a secure facility. I do have a mean Abus U-lock and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit noose loop chain, in case I visit Richmond or Washington D.C.

Air pump. Never owned a portable pump on any of my ebikes. I always install Mr. Tuffy liners right off the bat. If I get a flat it's just easier to lock it up, get a ride home and come back and pick it up with my truck. If riding to work I just call in for the day. Luckily flats are far and few between so I never bought a portable air pump. Flats on ebikes are extra hard to fix roadside.

Hope this gives you a little help in your quest. I did a mini review of my XP in the Lectric thread and add on info as I put more miles on it. So far so good!
Hi sc00ter,

Good points. I think for the air pump i was intending for something to just keep at my home. Like you pointed out if something happens on the road I'll deal with it. Is there some special type of air pump for an ebike or just anything like a schwin will do?

I see none of the giro helmets have a chin guard. When I fall off, I hit my chin. 7 times in 66 years. Broke it the last time, 3 months after I went searching for helmets with a chin guard. No, motorcycle helmets don't have vents, thank you bing. I'm using a Fox Rampage, https://www.modernbike.com/fox-racing-rampage-dh-helmet-mako-yellow not mips. Lots of vents, guarded by metal mesh to keep branches out of your head. Bell has something similar. Search term is "downhill mountain bike racing helmet" although I've never raced a bike in my life.
Air pump. I've bought 3 that didn't work from the LBS. I'm using a lyzene mini pump that is 3 years old and holding up well. https://www.modernbike.com/lezyne-road-drive-large-mini-pump
Lock: I lock to gas meters, live 440 ac conduits, power poles, mostly. Takes a 6' tether. 6' of motorcycle chain weighs about 30 lb. See krypton or westtechrigging.com supply for the pewag square chain.
I'm using a 6' stainless steel sling 1/2" diameter $80. Weighs 8 lb. Rolls up to 20" diameter so if you don't have a pannier that big use the 3/8" diameter version https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 Takes a big throat lock I use Abus 82/90 $47 . zoro.com or ebay also zoro. Yes, they can be cut, by a $300 stainless steel capable cable cutter. Thieves don't have those. Or one wire at a time with 8" klein cutters, took me 7 minutes to cut one strand and there are seven strands. Those Abus or krypton foldlocks are fine for sheet metal tube tethers than can be cut (the tube) by a hacksaw in 5 minutes and 30 seconds with a battery grinder. A grinder on a floppy cable 2' off the ground would require 3 hands to cut, IMHO. Anyway I've been using the 3/8" cable for 4 years; tire was slashed twice by frustrated somebody.
See various security and helmet threads on parts forum below for other opinions.
Hi Indianajo,

Great point about the chin guard. That helmet is gonna be kind of hard for me to wear thoigh. :) I'll look at those for sure. Thanks.

Buyer beware. Price doesn’t equate to quality. There are $50 and under TESTED helmets that off better protection than those in the $120-$150 range. See my post from consumer reports on EBR.

I like my 48V air pump and heavy u lock. A lock only slows down a thief. I try to park in the view of a CCTV.
Thanks Tomjasz. The AliXpress airpump huh? Is that a risk I'm willing to take? lol.

Welcome to the forum!

You've asked three separate questions in a single post. You might get more responses if you posted them separately. All three are discussed frequently here and there is no one single answer that will fit every need. Personal preference varies greatly. You might try the search box in the upper right of the screen. This way, you can access the wealth of information available here on EBR.

I will offer this advice on helmets though. Consider one that meets MIPS or MIPS II standards such as these from Giro:

Again, welcome aboard and good luck with your new bike! By all means, keep us posted with your experiences.
Thanks 6zfshdb.

Thanks Tomjasz. The AliXpress airpump huh? Is that a risk I'm willing to take? lol.
I’ve had over 75 orders from vendors with 95% ratings or better problem free. Now batteries and other products with counterfeit issues are another story. I never post a seller that hasn’t come through for me. Pay twice as much for quick shipping if you feel better but 10 years of no issue orders and saving as much as 50% works for me. FFS it all comes from China. Nervous Nellie types pay the Amazon premium.

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”​

You should be able to purchase a decent floor pump at a local bike shop (or REI) for about $40 that will be just fine.

I'd also recommend having some gear to deal with minor emergencies (at a minimum fixing a flat) while out riding.
  1. A decent bicycle multi-tool.
  2. Whatever other tools you'll need to remove your front and rear wheels.
  3. Some tire levers.
  4. A patch kit and a spare tube.
  5. A decent portable pump with enough volume to fill up your tires with a reasonable amount of effort.
  6. Duct tape (wrapped around the pump), some cable ties, and some paper towels (shop towels are best).

Last edited:
Reactions: JLA
Name brand helmet from LBS where they can help with fit is by far the most important feature. Different brands tend to suit different head shapes, may be cheapest or most expensive works for your head. Try lots brands and models. Check for forehead coverage (lower better), push helmet around especially visor upwards ie wind in face. My wife had helmet ride up at speed and expose her helmet.

More you spend lighter they become and more feature. MTB style give better coverage around sides and backs.

I wear top of range Specialize Ambush because its great fit comfortable and light, tried next model down wasn't as comfortable and visor is fixed. Would still give great protection.

People always think top of head is impact point, which maybe case in over handlebar head on , but my experience has been edge of helmet. This is where coverage is lot better in well fitting MTB helmet.

Broken 2 on crashes with helmet forehead taking hit ie face plant. If coverage had been bit higher would been my forehead not helmet that broke. Same helmet won't work for my son as it exposes an 1" of his forehead.

Wife has had two crashes where she slide out at low speed. In her case impact point was more on side around temple and ear. In both cases she had good tight fitting MTB style helmets that took impact. Luckily in one case had only just replace old helmet which would never had provide any protection to temple as it was poor fit and moved around on her head.

Final point when it comes to parting with your cash, how much is your brain worth to you.

Many years ago, when I bought my first motorcycle, I didn't have much cash left over so I asked the dealer about a cheap helmet. "Kid" He said, "If you've got a $5 head, I'll sell you a $5 helmet." Never forgot that one.

Hello. I just bought my first e-bike today. The Lectric XP™ Step-Thru 3.0. This will be just for riding around the city - locally So, my question to this community is what helmet should I buy to be safe? I’m 61, not in the best shape and haven’t ridden a bike in 45 years. LOL. And I live in the middle of Los Angeles. Next question is suggestions for a good lock for when I leave it to go eat or shopping. And lastly an air pump.

‘thanks.
Be informed, be safe and be vigilant.

The Dutch came out with a standard in 2016 called NTA-8776. I recommend that you should look for the NTA-8776 in helmets. In addition, Virginia Tech is where the NFL, NHL and NCAA football goes to study and improve helmet design. VT also performs testing for bike helmets. You may wish to visit their website. Helmets helmets of interest are the Specialized Tactic 4, the Xnito and the Bern Hudson.
-The Tactic 4 is a MTB helmet that ranks at the top of the VT helmet scores. It has a MIPS liner and meets the NTA-8776 standard.
-The Xnito is a Urban helmet, does pass the NTA-8776 standard but doesn't have MIPS. I like that it has lights built in the front and back. These lights are to help you to be seen by cars at night, therefore preventing an accident.
-The Bern Hudson is also a good consideration. It has the NTA-8776, MIPS and a light on the rear only.
All of those helmets are affordable. Make sure you're getting a proper fit. But before you buy a helmet or anything bike related, it's a good idea to watch YouTube reviews.

Securing you bike in LA is not easy. Thieves will go to great length to steel your bike or things from of your bike...
...Once again I recommend watching YouTube videos on bike thefts and bike lock reviews.
Unfortunately, if a thief has the right tools and enough time any lock can be defeated. If you happen to be in a dicy area, don't leave it. Forget cable locks, they're cut is seconds. "U"/"D"locks are better if you get a quality one. Chain locks also can be good but the truly secure ones are heavy.
I happen to have many locks. My main lock is the Abus 540. The 540 features a convenient frame mounting system. That way I always have my lock with me on any ride. For a short period I think that it's an okay lock, but Abus gives the lock some kind of extra high rating, in reality it means nothing to a motivated thief. I also have chain lock that has a noose. The noose allows the chain to be applied more efficiently. If I know that I will be leaving my bike for a while, I'll double up on my locks.
If you have quick release wheel skewers, you need to replace them with locking skewers. If you have things on your bike that are easy to remove, it's best to take those with you or you may suffer the consequences.
If you have something that can be removed in seconds, always take those things with you when you leave your bike.
Finally understand that thieves have been known to rob bikes from garages. I made a narrow ramp to role my bike upstairs to inside of my apartment.

Last edited:
Many years ago, when I bought my first motorcycle, I didn't have much cash left over so I asked the dealer about a cheap helmet. "Kid" He said, "If you've got a $5 head, I'll sell you a $5 helmet." Never forgot that one.
I wish that were true. Testing indicates price has little bearing.

I wish that were true. Testing indicates price has little bearing.
Bell Helmets used that in their advertising for a while, except it was $10. "If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet. If your head is worth more than that., get a Bell." or something like that. That was way back when helmets first became required in Tennessee. A lot of people, including me, as a matter of protest against the law, would go to an army surplus store and get a really cheap helmet shell. As long as you were wearing something like that, that sort looked like a helmet, you could avoid getting a ticket (for not wearing a helmet).

As far as price having little bearing on bike helmet quality, that is generally very true. I'm just saying it's still possible to buy a cheap piece of crap.

TT

As for pumps, I have 26" fat tires and (so) I carry several 25 gram CO2 cartridges. A portable hand pump would take an hour to fill up one of my tires. I've got a big ol' compressor at home, but I really feel the need to have a way to deal with a flat while out riding -- as opposed to calling an Uber and coming back with a pickup truck to fix it at home or take it to a shop. In my mind, at least, I can fix a flat in less time that it would take Uber to get there, if I'm even within miles of where an Uber could get to. And my rides aren't usually in Uber areas.

Cold and rain might cause a different attitude about leaving my bike and coming back for it, and I get that, but that's never happened to me.

TT

I have C02 but I also have a pump sometimes I have run out of c02 to one cartridge is not enough. s oI got these guys they wrote great.
Depends on whether we're talking about at home or on the road air pumps. That's kind of small but it's bigger than I'd want to carry around. And it looks smaller than I'd want at home. You're right though about running out of CO2. When it's gone it's gone. I always carry at least six or so 25 gr carts and haven't run out yet. And, man, they are so much faster and easier than any pump!

TT

Back