Helios

Well according to the website you can run the spot, the flood or both and adjust intensity from 100% to 10%. So I guess that’s enough to adjust it so you don’t blind oncoming traffic. I like the idea of having the high luminosity for returning to camp in the dark. I will go for it.

I love that we are part of a real-time development process. this is a major factor in my choice to go with the Helios once i can secure the funds. thank you all for these amazing dialogues!
me: wired i think

Well according to the website you can run the spot, the flood or both and adjust intensity from 100% to 10%. So I guess that’s enough to adjust it so you don’t blind oncoming traffic. I like the idea of having the high luminosity for returning to camp in the dark. I will go for it.

Spot is still a flood lamp - just slightly more narrow. There's nothing but a circular beam from the LED in a cylinder. No cutoff/beam engineering.

The design of the suprnova is about as simple and compact as you can get to a light with a decent cutoff, with higher output levels. Mini projectors with cutoff shield is also possible, but they must still be larger in physical size to dissipate heat (or heatsinked to aluminum handlebar).

I'm still surprised that we don't have commercial mini versions of car headlight projectors for bicycles. Probably because no one cares, and most people buy $20-retail cylinder lights.

I agree. I think for commuting, supernova will be great. For off-road the Zeus might be a better fit.
There’s another yet to be released commuter light I’m testing. That is the pure 2000lm one. I’ll do some more tests once it gets here and see how it compares to the supernova.

Awesome. I got the prototype frame earlier last week - will be painting it this coming week and assembling it.

I will have a better sense for the timeline by mid-late next week. Knowing where the frames and shipping timelines are. - we may not be able to get to Christmas ..

Pushkar, now that you actually have a frame in, how about a few pictures? The Hydra looks pretty good, while the Helios looks very, shall we say, sketchy. I love photos of both the regular and step-through frames.

wired supernova for me.

question about the tail light: will we have the option for the: M99 Tail Light 2 PRO ?

M99-TL-2-PRO_Front_Frei.png

Yes, Pushkar mentioned somewhere that supernova option will have this as the tail light. Right Pushkar ?

For my commuting use case, I’ll stick with the Supernova.
I looked into the Monteer and have come to the same conclusion. The big advantage the supernova has for the commuter is the external button mounted near the brake lever so modes can be switched without taking hands off the handlebar. On a single track, traffic goes in the same direction. On a regular bike trail, coming home from work, I will likely need to cycle between high beam and low beam as riders are coming toward me.

Hey Pushkar

Just now finding out about WW and I have to say I wish I would have known about this back in June because I definitely would have bought a bike from you then. Love the dedication to your craft, you can tell you really care about making a quality products.

Question about the Helios; I’m a little unsure about how the 3-speed Sturmey would last with a mid drive of the offered power, so I was hoping to upgrade to a midrange but I only see high range gears like Rolhoff as the next option, this is unfortunately a little out of my price range. Have you considered adding a 5-9 gear option?

I’d like to know your thought process, what made you decide to use the 3-speed Sturmey as the baseline for this model?

@pushkar, any updates yet? If I remember correctly, you were waiting for the motors and frames to arrive. Do you have either yet?
You also mentioned (last week, I think) that you'd have a prototype step-through built soon. Is it built yet? I'd like to see what the actual bike will look like (with all the components we'll be getting).

We received the first batch of motors this week. yay! We are painting the demo this week /should have the built later next week.

So making progress finally - remaining frames are being built as well so hope to start getting frame deliveries in a few weeks at most.

Hey Pushkar

Just now finding out about WW and I have to say I wish I would have known about this back in June because I definitely would have bought a bike from you then. Love the dedication to your craft, you can tell you really care about making a quality products.

Question about the Helios; I’m a little unsure about how the 3-speed Sturmey would last with a mid drive of the offered power, so I was hoping to upgrade to a midrange but I only see high range gears like Rolhoff as the next option, this is unfortunately a little out of my price range. Have you considered adding a 5-9 gear option?

I’d like to know your thought process, what made you decide to use the 3-speed Sturmey as the baseline for this model?
Oh.. sorry I missed this earlier
1. We have explored multiple hubs but unfortunately other than the ones we have so far (Rohloff, Kindernay, SA 3 speed, and Shimano 3 speed), everything else fails.
2. SA 3 speed is cost effective and provides just the right gear range for specific use cases - you can uses cogs to make it mountain only or commuting only. So you are trading off gear range but getting the advantage of lower maintenance (IGH), and lower cost.

Hey Pushkar which SA 3 spd are you guys using? Are you using it on a frame with dropouts or thruaxle? Didn't know they had a hub for a thruaxle.

Hey Pushkar which SA 3 spd are you guys using? Are you using it on a frame with dropouts or thruaxle? Didn't know they had a hub for a thruaxle.
Helios has option of both dropouts - so we can switch from QR to thruaxle.

Wont be possible on the Hydra though.. without some engineering :)

Back