Helios

@pushkar, would that same speed be obtainable with the Rholoff?
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Rholoff and the Kidernay.
Just curious, which one you you prefer?

Not answering your question but the Kindernay is more easily serviced and you can swop wheel sets easily with the Kindernay due to the way it is mounted within the wheel.

Kindernay will give you slightly better speed - it’s even spacing and gets range is 5% higher (543% compared to 526% of the Rohloff ).
After talking to Kindernay, they mentioned that failure (if it happens) is localized to the clutch ring. So it always protects the gears inside. So long term service and part replacement is significantly easier.

For the helios with belt, I am going to start recommending Kindernay. The thru axle endures there are very minimal issues with hub alignment etc.

Kindernay will give you slightly better speed - it’s even spacing and gets range is 5% higher (543% compared to 526% of the Rohloff ).
After talking to Kindernay, they mentioned that failure (if it happens) is localized to the clutch ring. So it always protects the gears inside. So long term service and part replacement is significantly easier.

For the helios with belt, I am going to start recommending Kindernay. The thru axle endures there are very minimal issues with hub alignment etc.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch my choice from a Rholoff to a Kindernay hub, but I'm not sure what to do about my wife's bike. Would a smaller, older woman find pushing the Kindernay's shift levers easy enough?

Does it have an adjustable stem, or can you put one on if requested, they don't seem to be super expensive
Adjustable Stem
Sartori gave us those - but IMO the stem is not adding a lot of value.
1. We have already stripped one of the bolts while just testing. I don't understand why they wont spec steel, esp if the bolts need to be loosened / tightened multiple times to make the product work
2. The riser also just comes loose after a couple of jarring hits (i mean if you go over a big bump or something).

Great idea - just needs better design.

We can provide risers if you want higher riding position.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch my choice from a Rholoff to a Kindernay hub, but I'm not sure what to do about my wife's bike. Would a smaller, older woman find pushing the Kindernay's shift levers easy enough?
The shifters are are like regular shifters. You can always shift 1 at a time. FWIW I had my wife try the shifting, and she found that after spending an hour or so on the shifter, it feels a lot more intuitive. She doesnt like taking her hands off the handlebar - so thumb shiifter is right there for her use.

The shifters are are like regular shifters. You can always shift 1 at a time. FWIW I had my wife try the shifting, and she found that after spending an hour or so on the shifter, it feels a lot more intuitive. She doesnt like taking her hands off the handlebar - so thumb shiifter is right there for her use.
Thanks Pushkar.

Sorry. I missed answering this.
1. Largest size is 60T front chainring. Kindernay with that combo puts you above of 28 at ~75rpm (checking Ravi’s world record run data).

2. At the tallest gear on the Kindernay you are well above the 28. Like well above.
Perfect exactly what I wanted to hear.....

Is there an option to have a push/pull shifter for the Kindernay so that we can just up/down shift with one hand? Is this even desirable to others? The only thing I don't like about the Kindernay is the thumb shifter (on both sides) and nothing to tell you what gear you're in.

Is there an option to have a push/pull shifter for the Kindernay so that we can just up/down shift with one hand? Is this even desirable to others? The only thing I don't like about the Kindernay is the thumb shifter (on both sides) and nothing to tell you what gear you're in.
Yes, they are working on a single shifter. ETA is later in the year - but they are on it.
I believe it is right handed shifting though.

@opimax we can do shimano di2 chain shifting as a stopgap (derailleur) on the one bike that is a must have. As/when Kindernay electronic hub shifting is available, we will swap it out with the belt.
Please let me know if that option works.

Back