Haibike eQ Xduro Cross

That's a pretty sweet video Larry, great marketing! Seems timely with the Olympics and stuff, that is a ski jump correct?

Since your sharing Haibike videos, have you seen this?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hi Larry,
I would like to test drive a Haibike. When do you think it will be available in shops??
Watched most of your interviews at the Interbike. Looking forward to all the innovative stuff Currie is going to bring to the market!!

Hi Larry,
I would like to test drive a Haibike. When do you think it will be available in shops??
Watched most of your interviews at the Interbike. Looking forward to all the innovative stuff Currie is going to bring to the market!!
Hi Ravi,

The Haibike Xduro range will be available in the US around Memorial Day (end of May). As we get closer, check back and I'll direct you to a dealer nearest you....

All the new IZIP models are in stock now and receiving rave reviews. The new eFlow Flight with our new Speed wheels are also in stock. I rode one tonight and its a blast.

Hi Ravi,

All the new IZIP models are in stock now and receiving rave reviews. The new eFlow Flight with our new Speed wheels are also in stock. I rode one tonight and its a blast.

Thank you, Larry.

I am excited to try the Bosch mid-drive system.
I read some great reviews about the Dash on ebike magazines. Currie is really stepping up the game and customers are the real winners.

Thanks Eddie, I'm totally with you on the liability thing. In the US it's not as much of concern since the Speed Pedelec is still within the law. Have you experimented with the Dongle yet? Seems like Badassebikes and Maintronic SX2 are the two main ones.

Well Eddie has a valid point, for some USA riders. The law in Florida restricts the use of bikepaths and sidewalks to human powered bicycles. If someone on an electric bike hits another cyclist or walker, they could be facing liability.

Last edited:
Well Eddie has a valid point, for some USA riders. The law in Florida restricts the use of bikepaths and sidewalks to human powered bicycles. If someone on an electric bike hits another cyclist or walker, they could be facing liability.

Hey guys a note on tuning dongles, beyond the legal liability. It will void your warranty so I would advise against it.

I decided to make the most of the sun a couple of days, and set out to ride roughly just to the foreground of the horizion from this view that we get from our house.

zr1.jpg

Sadly it didn't quite go to plan, as my knees just became too painful after approx. 38 miles, so I cut the ride short and ended it back at home after 44.7miles. Still good to be out and about though, and I did learn a couple of things.... 700ml of water isn't enough when things warm up, and I also learnt that the free gel energy pack that I received at the last Wiggle event, is enough to test your gag reflex. How do people take those things without wanting to puke it back up again.

zr2.jpg

The 44.7 miles that I rode, once again only used half of the battery power, and the distance was a ridden using a mix of no assist, tour, and two hills in sport. The biggest irritation is having to click past eco. I consider the eco setting to be very much pointless. I also appear to have become accustomed to the suspension seat post that I fitted to the BH, and whilst the saddle on the Haibike is of very good quality, it does now seem a bit hard. Luckily both seat posts are 31.6mm so I may well swap things around from bike to bike for now.

I'm also going to bin the pedals, as these really do leave much to be desired. That is no criticism towards Haibike, as pedals always seem to be an item that get swapped out to something of personal preference anyway.

zr3.jpg

Ravi if you do decide to opt for a Haibike at some stage, make sure that you get component spare prices before hand. For example, over here the rear cassette on the top of the range AMT PRO is approx. 415usd!!!!

I decided to make the most of the sun a couple of days, and set out to ride roughly just to the foreground of the horizion from this view that we get from our house.

View attachment 650

Sadly it didn't quite go to plan, as my knees just became too painful after approx. 38 miles, so I cut the ride short and ended it back at home after 44.7miles. Still good to be out and about though, and I did learn a couple of things.... 700ml of water isn't enough when things warm up, and I also learnt that the free gel energy pack that I received at the last Wiggle event, is enough to test your gag reflex. How do people take those things without wanting to puke it back up again.

View attachment 652

The 44.7 miles that I rode, once again only used half of the battery power, and the distance was a ridden using a mix of no assist, tour, and two hills in sport. The biggest irritation is having to click past eco. I consider the eco setting to be very much pointless. I also appear to have become accustomed to the suspension seat post that I fitted to the BH, and whilst the saddle on the Haibike is of very good quality, it does now seem a bit hard. Luckily both seat posts are 31.6mm so I may well swap things around from bike to bike for now.
I'm also going to bin the pedals, as these really do leave much to be desired. That is no criticism towards Haibike, as pedals always seem to be an item that get swapped out to something of personal preference anyway.

View attachment 653

Ravi if you do decide to opt for a Haibike at some stage, make sure that you get component spare prices before hand. For example, over here the rear cassette on the top of the range AMT PRO is approx. 415usd!!!!

Hi Eddie - A near 45 mile ride leaving 1/2 the battery capacity of the 400wh battery pack is quite impressive and means that your human power was doing much of the work (I'd estimate about 50% on average). I believe that you have a model year 2012 Haibike that has the original display and user interface combined. Important to note that the user interface and display were separated and functionality modified for simplicity in model year 2013. With this updated model, Eco mode provides 50% support (when compared to average human power of an athletic rider). I have a 2012 eQ Cross too, that I use now for running errands, and have ridden it in Eco for close to 100 miles, but I'm more inclined to ride in the higher levels of support, especially when climbing.

For the US market, the 2014/15 models will use even a higher powered motor (350w vs. 250w) which means the range will diminish a bit but one would be able to ride at a lower level of assist, theoretically. As I said, generally I like to ride hard, go fast and get to my destination as quickly as possible, thus I tend to use the higher assist level.

Regarding the price of replacement parts like the cassette that you mention, these are all standard bike parts. It just so happens that the AMT Pro is a very high end bike ($7800) with an especially high end wheelset and cassette. If these parts were on a non-electric, you would expect to pay more than $5000.

Thanks Larry, the eQ Cross is a surprisingly easy bike to ride in unassisted mode, and hides the weight of the battery and motor very well.

Once I've got better measure of battery life versus mileage, I'm sure that I'll then up the assistance rate. :)
I'm also currently keeping the usage rate fairly low, as I'm trying to use as much of the riding time to help me get fitter for my next MTB ride out. :)

Indeed, 45 miles with half battery charge is very impressive.
The Currie website quotes 25-40 miles, which is a realistic measure. Electricbike.com commented on the claimed 60 miles on Easy Motion bikes and with highest level of assist, they got something like ~20 miles on a rough terrain.
I myself have gotten 60 miles purely on eco-mode on my Jumper and another time, I had just 34 miles when I used higher levels of assist. I am curious to know how Bosch system affects the range/Torque.
Range.JPG Currie haibikes.JPG

Thanks Larry, the eQ Cross is a surprisingly easy bike to ride in unassisted mode, and hides the weight of the battery and motor very well.

Once I've got better measure of battery life versus mileage, I'm sure that I'll then up the assistance rate. :)
I'm also currently keeping the usage rate fairly low, as I'm trying to use as much of the riding time to help me get fitter for my next MTB ride out. :)

That's an impressive range for a regular size battery pack.. What would you say the average speed was? My stromer as about the same battery size (36v 11Ah), but there is no way I'm going to get more than 45 miles, even in ECO mode.

Something to note about the Bosch system, they are super efficient due to the advanced sensors, when riding the bike you can tell. There is no point where you feel like you are wasting power. You're also inclined to more efficiently utilize the bikes drivetrain as it feels very natural, more so than anything I have ridden personally.

Indeed, 45 miles with half battery charge is very impressive.
The Currie website quotes 25-40 miles, which is a realistic measure. Electricbike.com commented on the claimed 60 miles on Easy Motion bikes and with highest level of assist, they got something like ~20 miles on a rough terrain.
I myself have gotten 60 miles purely on eco-mode on my Jumper and another time, I had just 34 miles when I used higher levels of assist. I am curious to know how Bosch system affects the range/Torque.
View attachment 654 View attachment 655
Hi Ravi - being around as long as we have at Currie Tech, we have learned that its best to understate range while attempting to be realistic about how the average person rides. With the Bosch system, it uses a lower wattage motor (in Eddie's case, 250w) which is much more efficient (greater range) then a higher wattage hub motor because it is attached to a manual transmission (the bikes own drive train). This enables very high peak torque of up to 65Nm with the Gen2 System that will be in the US market this summer, (60Nm with the 250w motor).

Something to note about the Bosch system, they are super efficient due to the advanced sensors, when riding the bike you can tell. There is no point where you feel like you are wasting power. You're also inclined to more efficiently utilize the bikes drivetrain as it feels very natural, more so than anything I have ridden personally.
Another good point, Chris.

Back