Specialized Turbo Tero Step-Through 3.0 Review (Demo Ride)

On last Black Friday, I had a chance to see Tero 5.0 (both EQ and non-EQ) in person. Beautiful e-bikes they are!

First, I leaned on handlebars of Tero 5.0 non-EQ and was pleased with the reaction of the air-spring fork. It decidedly does its work. Then, I admired the elegance of the 5.0 EQ. I was impressed with the new MIK compatible, 27 kg (ca 60 lb) rear rack. It looked rock solid and strong.

The store manager told me they could further "urbanize" the Tero by installing all-rounder Specialized tyres (but I can't remember their name). The tyres he mentioned work similarly to Schwalbe Johnny Watts or Smart Sam, that is, these are silent on-road and aggressive off-road.

If I were to buy a Tero, it wouldn't matter the e-bike were Class 1 in the United States to me, as it is 25 km/h speed restriction in Europe anyway. A Canadian would be happy with the 32 km/h 5.0, and that could be a very nice and sporty alternative to 2022 Vados. Only the North America does not get the EQ version! In the United States, the Class 1 Tero might be a deal breaker...

If I were to buy a Tero, it wouldn't matter the e-bike were Class 1 in the United States to me, as it is 25 km/h speed restriction in Europe anyway. A Canadian would be happy with the 32 km/h 5.0, and that could be a very nice and sporty alternative to 2022 Vados. Only the North America does not get the EQ version! In the United States, the Class 1 Tero might be a deal breaker...
I actually wish that Specialized would have a Class 1 option for the Vado SL (as well as regular Vado). They market these bikes as "commuters", and on roads and streets the higher 28mph limit makes sense. But I'm a recreational rider who sticks mostly to rail-trails and such and those more and more are being posted "Class 1 only". I continue to ride on them against the rules and generally don't even get up to 20mph, but with some of the over-powered e-bikes that I sometimes see on the pathways, they will eventually start some sort of enforcement and I'll be out of luck. Already, most of the companies that offer organized multi-day tours of the type that I like to do are saying "Class 1 only" if you want to bring an e-bike. :mad:

I actually wish that Specialized would have a Class 1 option for the Vado SL (as well as regular Vado). They market these bikes as "commuters", and on roads and streets the higher 28mph limit makes sense. But I'm a recreational rider who sticks mostly to rail-trails and such and those more and more are being posted "Class 1 only". I continue to ride on them against the rules and generally don't even get up to 20mph, but with some of the over-powered e-bikes that I sometimes see on the pathways, they will eventually start some sort of enforcement and I'll be out of luck. Already, most of the companies that offer organized multi-day tours of the type that I like to do are saying "Class 1 only" if you want to bring an e-bike. :mad:
Just my opinion of course, but i would like my " day in court" in regards to the class 1 vs. 3 debate. Post a speed limit and enforce it. Just like on the roads. It's not about the potential top speed in cars, so why is it with e-bikes? That's way too arbitrary - punish the speeders or dangerous drivers and leave the rest of us alone.

Just my opinion of course, but i would like my " day in court" in regards to the class 1 vs. 3 debate. Post a speed limit and enforce it. Just like on the roads. It's not about the potential top speed in cars, so why is it with e-bikes? That's way too arbitrary - punish the speeders or dangerous drivers and leave the rest of us alone.
I agree with you 100% and have tried to make that point several times with people only to get nothing more than a blank stare in return. However, with the trails getting busier all the time, the mix of pedestrians and bikes (of all sorts) is going to lead to even more conflict in the future. The bad apples in our bunch are going to end up costing us all something.

I wonder why it was Randall to say the above as all Canadian e-bikes are technically of Class 1 regarding the speed restriction :)
Taken into account my cruising and average speed on a metric century ride of today with my 45 km/h Vado, I can only say I would do with a Class 1 e-bike perfectly (but not with a 25 km/h one!)

Bravo. Hear Hear!

Specialized corporate told me that it is an easy procedure for the LBS to restrict the Vado SL to meet class 1 specifications. An official invoice detailing that change seems like it would offer you immunity from a ticket, or lawsuit if there is an accident on a bike path.

Specialized corporate told me that it is an easy procedure for the LBS to restrict the Vado SL to meet class 1 specifications. An official invoice detailing that change seems like it would offer you immunity from a ticket, or lawsuit if there is an accident on a bike path.
Excellent information!
(What I have noticed is a totally derestricted Vado SL can move at speeds of a Class 1 e-bike for all assistance levels except Turbo mode. In Turbo mode, the top speed for an average rider would be just 34 km/h or 21 mph but it is more typical that the e-bike prefers to ride up to 20 mph. At least for my legs. It is because the more upright riding position on Vado SL combined with the low power motor is a very practical natural speed limiter. Higher speeds are only attainable in Turbo mode with tailwind or downhill).

Back